1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Mines are overpowered.

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by D3X, 3 Aug 2017.

1. D3X

D3X Well-Known Member

That would reduce the effectiveness of mines completely. I do not agree with friendly colorizing of mines. And here's why I disagree:
    https://forum.battlebay.net/threads/team-colors-for-mines.1555/page-3

Last edited: 3 Aug 2017
  2. Dez Lew

Dez Lew Member

I agree, especially with the range, the only time it should go off is if you run into it, not if youre passing nearby. At least have some sort of way for us to distinguish how far the radius around it is with coloring or something.

D3X and Totoro like this.
  3. envylife

envylife Well-Known Member

I agree the mine detonation radius seems abnormally large. While both mine and torpedo are contact weapons, you can avoid a torpedo by a hair yet if you come within a couple ship lengths of a mine it detonates.

4. Scourge Argaen

Scourge Argaen Well-Known Member

I personally don't think there's really any issue with the mines as they are. They're a static object, they don't creep up on a player and shout 'boom!' Or beckon you over with the promise of candy. They could be considered one of the least harmful for that reason as the unfriendly has to make the decision to go near them or over them. If you get caught out by one you don't see then that's just unlucky and the mine has fulfilled it's purpose. I've had matches where no matter how many mines I've throw down I come away with no damage as the unfriendlies had no issue avoiding them.

I don't agree that they're difficult to spot, though they may be of similar colour to the water they are still distinguishable and can be noticed from a distance quite clearly. If you find it particularly difficult as a speeder then that is probably a ship specific issue due to their speedy nature. A mine is intended to be difficult to spot, it's part of a mines make up. It wouldn't be very effective if it came with strobe lighting or fluorescent paints or a sign saying "Yarrr ere be mine". (I'm a phone user myself)

In terms of making them visible through a napalm or defusable, you'd have to make all projectiles and mortar rings visible to make it equal but logically an object within a pillar of fire shouldn't stand out. Making it defusable / shootable would make it a detriment / disadvantage to players using them as you would in effect take a weapon away. You'd have to compensate (a bit radical) with counter measures to detonate a torpedo from a distance or a mortar in mid air to equalise it. They all nasty splash damagers like a mine.

The one thing I'm on the fence with is the radius. I dont have an issue with the radius of it but the only nerf if there should ever be one would be to reduce this slightly, perhaps more in line with a box. Any more than this then you'd have to increase the size of the mine to balance it. That also might alleviate the hard to spot issue.

TL-DR Mines be fine, maybe shrink radius a tad.

Ultrah, ElMataC, D3X and 1 other person like this.
  5. Dfer3nt

Dfer3nt Member

I think they fine. Only complaint is that there is no way to tell if it is friendly mine or unfriendly mine. Sometimes I could be 99% sure that it was my teammate who threw it and BAM im dead

6. Netsa

Netsa Well-Known Member

I agree with most of the points made, particularly it being overpowered, for all of the same reasons Big Torpedo is overpowered. Extreme damage, large AoE, and encourages cheese. I know this isn't the Bigpedo thread, though.

I disagree with the points made about color, visibility, throw range, and arm times, though. You already know why I disagree about the color from the other thread, so no need to rehash I guess. However, I think it's inconsistent to complain about its visibility. A mine on water shouldn't be using a different palette if it wants to kill anyone. If it's visible enough to be seen in napalm, you could probably spot it without even looking directly at the screen.

The rest of the points, along with that one, all serve to nerf Mines in ways I don't think are fair. Just lower the damage. If you can't lob them over or into anything, that makes them excessively dangerous to use for every class except maybe Speeder. Increasing the arm time is kind of pointless, but it makes them even more useless than they already are in a close-range fight. No weapons should be able to dud them, either.

You have to decide, do you want mines to be nerfed slightly and turned into actual strategic weapons, or do you just want them deleted from the game?

7. What's Up Player

What's Up Player Well-Known Member

Damage is fine, but I would like to see a nerf on its radius. It's insane. It wouldn't be nerf. It would be correction only, it's nonsense that you're going around that mine but it still explodes.

8. SCOOTY PUFF Jr

SCOOTY PUFF Jr Active Member

the radius is the worst part of a mine. if you are on the very edge of the radius it still hits for full damage, as D3X has said most are putting out 4k + worth of damage. I main a fixer with 4k HP. I regularly get one shot by BS mines that I am not near, yet the radius of these damn things is so huge I'm dead.
    Any other weapon the damage goes down the further you are from the middle, so why not mines?

9. Crashedup

Crashedup Well-Known Member

Yeah mine dmg is insane they generally leave ur health so low that ur r one shotable. Nightmare for speeders and in tight space maps like chill zone they r way too much overpowered

10. Rock'N'Rolla

Rock'N'Rolla Active Member

I think that mines do piss off speeders only(enforcers maybe). But they should pay smth for their mobility (mk6/5 have almost the same hp as shooters).
    With great power speed comes great responsibility attentiveness. :D

11. D3X

D3X Well-Known Member

MK6 Shooters have at least 8-10k hp.

12. ElMataC

ElMataC Member

@D3X: legitimate question, I'm not trying to be annoying: you previously mentioned a certain way in which mines get played at high infamy, the fray thing, but to get that close to a group of unfriend ships don't you put yourself under easy focus fire? I've seen speeders at my infamy do this with low success, and as a low-ish infamy player I think the awarness and ability to counter a player mispositioning (thus countering this kind of play) should just be better at higher infamy. Why does it still work?

13. D3X

D3X Well-Known Member

See video above with the enforcer and the shield. That's an extreme case with 3 mines, which doesn't always work, but it's basically the idea. Most players will use one very strong mine and simply when attacking, throw into an area which would have high traffic or possible path in which the opponents will move towards (when attacking, or fleeing etc).
    1. Enforcers are generally hard to hit; because of the enforcer dance
    2. Tesla Shields in case they do get hit.
    3. They are using themselves as Bait; or the act of Baiting.
    Typically players up in Nightmare will have a few defense mechanisms; like Tesla bolt, Nitro, Frost Cannon, Tesla Shields or a combination of which allows them to be closer quarters. They use it in combination of hard hitting weapons like Blast Cannon, Explosive Cannon, Missiles etc. There are specific map tactics like where you find in Foundry where the wall is shorter on one side or the broken open top Tunnel, where throwing a mine over it would be inconspicuous, and most players won't be able notice it right away or a bit too late. On the map subzero, there's a spot where the 2 sides meet, there's a small hole in the ice where a mine can be thrown perfectly through it. On Crash N Burn, there's several places where Mines would be nearly unnoticeable, by the middle area where the open brief cases are, and by the walls which are rather short where mines can be thrown over. In District 9, mines are thrown where the weeds are during a battle.

As a player who has reached Nightmare league, I honestly don't see the strategy of any of this. It's basically laying caltrops and spamming all over the place, and if you do it enough, people will get hit from them; Defenders, Shooters, Fixers, Enforcers alike, not just speeders. Players like GOONerhrea, RNG Eric, TwistedMetal are known for spamming mines whenever it's available after cooldown.

Last edited: 4 Aug 2017
  14. ElMataC

ElMataC Member

I went and searched som videos myself, but thanks anyway :)

If this is the biggest issue i think the better nerf point would be to increase their cooldown by a significant amount. From the videos I've seen it's more about "luck" by spamming mines into the fray, thus a longer cooldown would drop the possibilities to have this kind of tactic succed (aside from lowering the explosion range).

It's funny cause I have some spare mines I never used, and I'm switching from shooter to Enforcer in the next few days, so I think I'll try this strategy too :D

15. Zombie

Zombie Active Member

how can mines be overpowered when we have this kind of torpedos around... mines are useless u use them to zone, problem is they aren't even that good at zoning cause napalm is way much better...
    i'd say reduce or remove the aoe radius but make like 1-2 second activation or something

16. Shooter@Bay

Shooter@Bay Active Member

Please, answer these questions.

17. D3X

D3X Well-Known Member

As long as you are within the blast radius, you are getting the full damage. There's no lesser value like a mortar hit for example, it's not. If you're in by 1 pixel inside the radius, you're getting 100% the damage of the Mine.

Mines do damage for getting near it, not just ontop of it. It's at least 1.5-2 shooter widths radius from the center of the mine. Hard to guess especially with moving waves.

The blast is instant, the moment you detonate it, you get hit immediately. There is no delay. For the Mine to be armed it takes approximately 2 full seconds or so once it lands into water.

18. D3X

D3X Well-Known Member

If you read my thread, Mines do more damage than a Big Torpedo. They can control zones better than Napalm because they last a lot longer, and you can literally spam enough in one area to not be able to cross. They also do splash damage and that can be more than one ship, and a heck of a lot of damage. If one blow doesn't kll you, 2 Mines will do you in, and even Shooters can't take 2 or more mines.
    If you say it's not overpowered, why reduce the AOE radius? Activation already is about 2 secs.

19. WarCream

WarCream Well-Known Member

I get that mines has radius but I don't support on nerfing it. Please stop asking for more nerfs for your own needs.

20. D3X

D3X Well-Known Member

I have many needs I'm not asking for, certainly not nerfs. Can I get some Ice cream? Just pointing out a pretty obvious issue and some observations, agree to disagree if you want. I get killed by a variety of stuff, rebalance of the mine probably won't affect my game either way.

Or did I touch on a weapon that you use most often and that it would effect you?