1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

On the Subject of the Sniper Cannon

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by CaffeinatedChris, 30 Nov 2017.

1. Tirth2_

Tirth2_ Well-Known Member

Will that be easy to fetch? The data?

2. Ash KOT

Ash KOT MVP

for thousands of entries, will be crazy time consuming, even with scripts and formulas.

Tirth2_ likes this.
  3. Help I Cant Swim

Help I Cant Swim MVP

i imagine that they have some sort of data collection system. if not, that is a massive oversight.

probably more time consuming to retrieve the data than to actually analyze it.

4. ViscountSniffit

ViscountSniffit Well-Known Member

@TheAntiSnipe did a meta snapshot of about ~100 ships in Ace 2 and Ace 3. Which is probably more representative of the lower levels (and f2p) builds.

https://forum.battlebay.net/threads/ace-3-ace-2-meta-snapshot.14863/

Sniper was the most popular weapon for every ship, even on speeders!

5. CaffeinatedChris

CaffeinatedChris MVP

Getting the data itself is simply a SQL SELECT statement (or an equivalent if they're using another DB language)

The issue with giving us the data is around privacy and proprietary information - Rovio doesn't want to just willy-nilly say "here's a bunch of info that users never consented to sharing" - yes, we could say "oh it's just harmless stats" but still, just because no one says "no" is a poor reason to say "yes." Unless it can be anonymized in an automated manner, it likely won't happen.

Once we get the data in a nice format, as @Help I Cant Swim pointed out, it's just a matter of knowing how to correlate it and pull:

"Show me how many people in Ace league are using Sniper Cannon"

Code:
    SELECT COUNT (DISTINCT userID) * FROM bb.shipItems WHERE weaponname="Sniper Cannon" AND 2300<infamy<4000
    Bam.

Tirth2_ and ViscountSniffit like this.
  6. ajlstar

ajlstar New Member

Honestly i think the crit % is ok but the crit damage is completely broken, how do i know ,well i was in a match a week ago and i fougth a enf with the same loadout as me( 1 epic lvl 13 sniper 2 rare lvl 32 blast) his blast does the same damage as mine around 600 but his sniper crits for 900 and mine crits for 590 , i have both damage talents and all epic crit % perks while he has epic crit damage perk on his.so even if u nerf the crit % , those hard hitting sniper are not even going to be affect , i even ask other players ,they say to get the chance up to 20% ( one rare perk) which is 1/5 crit and all damage.

7. ThatOnion

ThatOnion Well-Known Member

Gamer
    1zezgp.jpg
    I'm just gonna leave this here.

8. Tirth2_

Plus,
    U will have to make a database and fill in entries one by one, that will be real pain!
    Unless u have a better way of inserting the data!

9. CaffeinatedChris

CaffeinatedChris MVP

That's why I'm trying to get the devs to deliver the data; "filling the DB" will just be a "restore from backup" and then we go to town.

Even better would be a live query via a (rate-limited) API against the actual Rovio DB but that's a much bigger undertaking.

10. Tirth2_

N setup some bots to give real time information of desired topic.

Babablacksheep likes this.
  11. CaffeinatedChris

CaffeinatedChris MVP

Not so much "bots" per se but a web-based front end for live queries. That's obviously a major request, as I don't believe any external API exists, and giving me direct access (even limited) to their DB would be silly from a security perspective.

TheAntiSnipe and Tirth2_ like this.
  12. Ash KOT

Ash KOT MVP

Clearly not, half of the threads here are demanding nerfs!
    Also, no need to post in all caps, it hurts readers eyes ;)

13. *JAWS*

*JAWS* Well-Known Member

On the subject of Blast Cannon nerf.

I have been 1000 percent right since pre rollback in these threads telling players be cautious what u ask the devs to do. Too much power. And the solution they come up with always, always goes too far.

Too many tokens? Solution... rollback 2 weeks of game play.
    Change guild once?
    Solution...
    No rivalry rewards for 2 weeks.
    Frost and torpedo combo was starting to get used meta?
    Solution.... Devs destroy frost with fix. And go way further reducing fire damage, and wrecking ex cannon area damage.
    Now some of the previous frost users have complained and complained loudly about sniper....what do u think from this pattern the devs will do?
    They will overreact. And another sniper nerf will come up. Even tho it was nerfed twice before. No other weapon in game has been nerfed 3 times. But our pro sniper nerf posters have zero clue big picture how devs will react. And pattern history shows us the devs will overreact.
    So my message here is stop asking the devs to nerf weapons. The game gets ruined with these overreactions. Every question i mentioned...once the devs fixed it
    ...lost hundreds and thousands of players. The player base shrinks. We the community reduce the chance of this game surviving.
    Start forums about buffing. Underused ships. Enforcer, fixer and defender. All can use a buff. Meta and league snap shots show these ships are used barely in end game. And are underballanced.
    and buff underused weapons. Once underused weapons are buffed.
    No one here will complain about sniper. Or any other weapon again. Balancing weapons is key.

Devs have the data. Underused weapons and ships get buffed. Forget nerfing.

Or next time. I will read thru whom the loudest voices were for these nerfs. And start a forum about nerfinf your favorite weapon? nerf blast cannon anyone? If not me. Someone else in our community will. This is said ironicly and as use of logic so we can understand mob mentalility and prevent another exodus of players from our game. Think big picture. Do u trust the fix?

14. ViscountSniffit

Firstly, I never used frost, and I’ve been calling for sniper nerf, pretty much, since I started playing.

Secondly, I hope they do overreact. I came here to have battles with cute little boats, not name tags on the horizon. Sniping is a stupid game mechanism, and the less it’s in the game, the better!

15. envylife

envylife Well-Known Member

I'm not convinced any nerf is needed, but IF a nerf is to be done, a slight tweak to crit % using distance scaling is the best idea I've seen floated so far.
    That being said, aren't most complaints bout long range crits? This solution sounds opposite to that, not to mention at close range you are better off with BC/EX canons.

16. ViscountSniffit

The problem is, there is no counter strategy against snipers. The long range crits are fairly OP, but if you manage to avoid them, and get close, then it doesn’t get any less OP. That’s why reducing the crit chance at short range would at least provide a strategic answer to getting sniped.

BC and ExC are ‘arguably’ better at short range, but there is no incentive to run them when sniper is so versatile.

If people were forced to run a ExC or Carronade for close range fighting, then that’s one less slot that can be occupied by spammy things like torpedoes and mortars.

Nerfing sniper isn’t just about reining in that one OP weapon, it’s also about encouraging people to take more balanced builds. At the moment a shooter can spam 4 mortars and a sniper, and he’d still have all his bases covered: able to weaken ships at long range, spam tons of mortars at medium range, and still crit a speeder for 1100! damage, point blank.

TheAntiSnipe likes this.
  17. Joey who

Joey who Well-Known Member

Waste of space reply. 100% bias

18. Epekka

Epekka Well-Known Member

1. give it a min. range like motars
    2. nerf sniper PERKS
    3. nerf bhurt training
    4. make armour protect against crits. For every 1 armour, it takes 2% crit chance away from the shot!

pick no. 4 and 1 or 2 others, and you have a good nerf!

The Otherguy likes this.
  19. Ian

Ian Well-Known Member

Student
    So make defenders/shooters/ anyone who uses defense perks immune to crit? No thanks that's a bit too far. Rescaling Bhurt tree to give sniper benefits later on I can see.

ViscountSniffit likes this.
  20. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

I like that, nerfing it at lower levels when it is OP and keeping it as it is at the endgame.