1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Noob to Noob: Let's talk about togetherness

Discussion in 'Strategy Discussion' started by Snapshot, 26 Feb 2018.

1. Snapshot

Snapshot Well-Known Member

I was kind of hoping that too but honestly it didn't make much difference. What's going to make a lot more difference is going from 1700hp to 3300 when I upgrade to M5 and along with that getting a tesla bolt. I think the extra bits of damage the higher weapons do don't actually matter in the end. From my standpoint the only thing that really matters is how many salvos I need to kill the enemy. Going from 1000/salvo to 1200 isn't going to change the total number required very often. My R40 flare is, however, scaring off enemy speeders more once I land the second flare on them. That's a nice change.

I'm up to 1800 infamy now and it isn't gear that's causing the increase. It's that I'm focusing on skill rather than grinding for gold and quests.

You know what would rock my world though? A better overboost. THAT would make a huge difference. Right now I just can't cover as much water as I'd really like when I'm closing in and I'd love more perks to get the recycle time down. Some epic nitro perks would be pretty sweet also.

2. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

Oi, my bro, no need to be humble ;) you're doing that infamy in a MK4, which is an achievement. Now I can look forward to teaching you the ins and outs of the mk5 in two months(at the max, if you're lazy with the gold:p)

Nikkie! likes this.
  3. HAPPY SITHSHA

HAPPY SITHSHA Well-Known Member

Can u guys give me some best setups for MK3 SHOOTER,SPEEDER and DEFENDER?Please guys.:):):););):cool:

Nikkie! likes this.
  4. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

Depends on your style, mate. What playstyle do you have?

Nikkie! and HAPPY SITHSHA like this.
  5. HAPPY SITHSHA

My current setup in
    1)SHOOTER:
    Big Torpedo,Big Berta,Grenade Launcher,Standard Shield and Turbo.

2)SPEEDER:
    Flare Gun,Blast Cannon,Tesla Bolt or Overboost,Nitro,Turbo,Bandage.

3)DEFENDER:
    Cannon,Swift Torpedo,Big Shield,Turbo,Bandage.
    Can u please tell me some suggestions Antisnipe?:):):)

Nikkie! likes this.
  6. Snapshot

There isn't any "best". Here's a few factors though.

Do you like twitch game play? If so then speeders & close-range shooters are fun to play. For a speeder don't even worry about weapons. Take the best of what you have picking burst damage over DPS. The speeder is all about skill in boat movement more than power in gun tubes. What you need on a speeder is a good overboost, nitro, and turbo. I honestly believe I could make any two weapons work on my speeder. It would just make adjustments to the rhythm of how I engaged. For a shooter I gave it a lot more thought. I wanted to be able to fight at all ranges... particularly close range. I went with:
    • Standard Cannon: Awesome for surprising enterprising young speeders and a GREAT weapon for close ranging dueling. I went with range perks in mine which effectively made it a sniper cannon with a 5 second recycle time. This weapon is largely held in contempt by the player-base and my min/max sensibilities tell me that's a huge mistake. Actual game play confirms this at least up to 1500 infamy.
    • Burst direct damage weapon: I ran with what I had... either the blast or exploding cannon. But you can put a torp in here if you think you can hit with them.
    • Sniper Cannon: This is a great weapon at all ranges and gave me long-range punch even against speeders. As I got more training into crit-chance and epic perks in it those crits started to be a thing of beauty. one crit WILL chase off an enemy speeder. If not, he dies. In my speeder getting hit with a sniper crit is almost 2/3 of my health... gone! Yes that takes the wind out of my sails LOL.
    • Long Range Mortar: Again, a long range choice and a lobbing shell for when you need one. You can insert any mortar here but if it's not LRM I'd recommend range perks. Fire bomb will give you higher team scores (and rewards) but it's overall less effective for the team since it doesn't generate instant kills. If I'm slaughtering your team's fixer you don't need to light me on fire. You need to kill me.
    In essence, I made sure I had a good selection of weapons to hit at all ranges with a focus on mid-short range. Don't think of any of those choices as sacrosanct. It's more about the thought process than what weapons you use exactly. For instance, I swapped out the standard cannon for an exploding cannon at one point because I wanted more burst damage. The point is to understand how each weapon works and then tailor the boat to fit your needs. Don't touch carronade or missiles. They are awful until you get the crew training behind them and then suddenly they become very nice.

For blue gear I went with various combinations:

Dual Turbo: For when I was so overmatched by opponents that not getting hit was the only strategy. I was fighting M6's in a M3 boat.
    Turbo/Bandage: Not optimal on a shooter because getting away to heal isn't as easy as on a speeder but it worked for a while.
    Turbo/Big Shield: I think I got the slots for this at mark 4 and adding a thousand HP to the boat was very nice.

In general shooters don't play well if you want to play at mid and short range. They are simply too slow and lumbering until you can mount a really high level turbo on them. This is particularly true since you will ALWAYS find yourself heavily overmatched in the early levels of Battle Bay. That's why you see most shooters setup as mortar/torp boats with only one tube dedicated to a cannon. If you're going to do that, I'd recommend a standard or sniper cannon so you're not helpless when a speeder finds you. The standard cannon might really fight him off. The sniper cannon would maybe scare him off with an initial crit. Warning... mortar/torp boats are easy prey to speeders even with a good cannon. Take solace from the fact that you'll get high scores and rewards for damage during the matches.

Last edited: 4 Mar 2018
  7. ShipCrusherCz

ShipCrusherCz Well-Known Member

I have only mk2 and I fight against mk4 or 5:) so what would you recommend me? uprgade speeder to mk3 or upgrade gear at least to lvl 10?

HAPPY SITHSHA likes this.
  8. Snapshot

If you're already fighting mostly m4/5 then you might as well ugprade. But if it's mostly 3/4 then stick tight. My rule is look at the average gear you see on the next mark up then wait till your gear is at that level before upgrading. SO in your case, take note of what average M3's have.

Another point to ponder though. You level very fast at those levels. In hindsight I wish I hadn't worried about infamy or gear at all back then and deliberately stayed in grind mode for the gold, sugar and pearls. Getting up to M4 level has, at least, closed the gap between myself and what I'm fighting. A typical battle at 1700 infamy seems to me at M4, almost entirely M5's and then an odd scattering of M4/6 boats. All in all a fairly tight grouping with me just punching up a bit. You might ponder a goal of buying every blue parts package in the store (and having the gold to do that) along with selected pieces depending on what color(s) you need the most.

** edit
    Grind mode is basically focusing on match speed much more than winning or losing. I play hard and seriously but I play to win right now or lose. If I lose I'm gone to start a new match. If I win or I end up playing very close to the end I'll stay and play the commercial. It ends up depressing your infamy but your match speed goes way up and so the does the gold/sugar/pearls you take in.

9. ShipCrusherCz

ShipCrusherCz Well-Known Member

again thanks for tips

Snapshot likes this.
  10. Snapshot

Or day after tomorrow. I think I have the parts to do the upgrading I want. Hurt finishes tomorrow. Another day to get 1.5m gold

TheAntiSnipe likes this.
  11. Jamie7777

Jamie7777 Member

Scholar
    Idk if i can relate to this since i am at 1500 but as a fixer i usually stay with the shooter line and my friend who is a speeder stays behind and then rushes in the assasinate anyone who is separated from the enemy group. I stay near the shooters then use my repair pulse and repair bolt to heal.

12. Snapshot

I readily admit I am much more aggressive than most players. But honestly for a speeder to be out front scouting isn't really any risk if there's a fixer on the team. At most I get potted once by a lucky sniper shot or catch the edge of some mortar ring. On my bandage speeder it didn't matter if we had a fixer. Now that I'm on a shield speeder I'm more sensitive to HP loss when we are sans-fixer. That all being said, if your friend likes to play a more conservative game then he should play that way. People always perform better when they are playing according to their natural style.

I play at 1800-2k now so we're not that far apart although fixers tend to rise faster than other boats. Still though, the terrain isn't all that different all the way down to 1200 so our match experiences should be roughly similar. Most of the speeders I play with are not quite as aggressive as I am but there's only a few who hang back with the shooter line early on. Most of speeders are out sniffing around with me. Heh, and I'm not always the most aggressive one either. in general, from the other direction it is almost always the enemy speeder we make contact with first. So fwiw, I'd say that most people are playing their speeders out in front.

About the only times I don't go out and scout is when there is obvious risk. Like, for instance, I'm in a M4 speeder and the unfriends have 3 M5 speeders or a fleeted pair of yellow boats. Going out into that is just suicide.

13. Jamie7777

Jamie7777 Member

Scholar
    I agree completely, i just want to say, i hate how above 1000 speeders actually get smart enough to attack the fixer not the shooter lol. Below they attack the shooter while i am just sitting there, hitting them once in a while and then healing the shooter. Now they just go for me. I spam the help command but nobody helps. It is understandable since they are all in their own battles, but at least make an attempt? When i am a shooter and my fixer needs help, i try to move over and ward away the speeder.

14. Snapshot

Ah yes. As you say... "everyone is in their own battles". Except that's not really true, is it? We are all in it together as a team. Keeping an eye on the fixer is a skill I am continually working on. It helps a lot that I adopted the attitude that getting myself fixed was my problem. If I want fixing I go back to the fixer and get in some convenient spot for him. That means I needed to know where he was anyway.

That's another reason why I don't go scout when there's a fleeted pair of speeders. There's no need. They'll show up at our fixer promptly anyway so I just stay there :)

15. HAPPY SITHSHA

Thank you Snapshot.I will try this new setup:):):)

Nikkie! and Snapshot like this.
  16. Snapshot

Good luck but remember that's a setup for brawling in a shooter. As I started fighting tougher and tougher foes I eventually decided it just wasn't going to work so I swapped to a speeder instead. That allowed me the close combat experience I really wanted. I just crave the adrenaline of approaching some shooter who's got 5 gun tubes and 3 times my HP... or the entire enemy team as I'm eyeing that wounded fixer. I may yet swap to enforcer because their maneuverability suits close combat.

For your shooter what you need to do is think about what ranges you want to fight at. Shooters are probably most successful at mid and long range. It's a more methodical combat style. So a cannon/mortar setup shows up a lot. I recommend balance so you're not a sitting duck when I come by in my speeder. There's no target I love better than an all mortar shooter. For instance, something like... standard cannon, sniper cannon, long range mortar, big berta (or big torp) would give you great long range punch but you'd hardly be defenseless when someone got in close. Then when you hit Mark 5 you can add something like a firebomb or (my choice), a railgun.

17. Mr.FixIt.Nsk

Mr.FixIt.Nsk Member

The name of your speeder is not accidental .UNIVERSE. ?
    I really hate when he is among the opponents, and I adore him if he is for our team.

Aggressive fast speeder with two evil carronades.
    If he is among the enemy means my fixer is left to live very short