1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Nerf sniper!!!

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Zusay, 25 Nov 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ViscountSniffit

ViscountSniffit Well-Known Member

There is a common misconception that buffing and nerfing are the same difference, but they are not.

The ultimate objective is not to make things useless, it’s to make things balanced. Balance is important because it leads to more variety, which leads to more strategy, which leads to more depth, which means a better and more playable game.

When games are played at a highly competitive level, the top players will reach a point where they are all playing close to perfect (no mistakes). When that happens, even the slightest inconsistencies in the game can become game breaking.

Take chess as an example. For most novice players, losing a pawn is no big deal, it’s a worthless throwaway piece (hence the name); but between grandmasters an extra pawn is a game winning advantage. Many (if not most), top games are won or lost because of a single pawn advantage.

The easiest way to achieve balance is to make everything the same, so that games are perfectly symmetrical. As players improve at games and the ‘pawns’ become more important, players will naturally seek out more and more symmetry. That’s why it’s often better to nerf things towards an median.

If you try to buff things away from each other then you introduce more asymmetry, and asymmetric balance is very difficult (if not impossible).

So no, buffing and nerfing are not equally good for balance.

Last edited: 30 Nov 2017
  2. ViscountSniffit

ViscountSniffit Well-Known Member

Whether or not you wish to accept it, doesn’t make it any more, or less, true.

In @TheAntiSnipe ’s ace league snapshot, snipers are the most popular weapon on both speeders and enforcers. So go figure.

However, speeders aren’t the best platform for snipers (lower turret), both speeders and enforcers are massively underused in ace league. With shooters being more popular than all the other boats combined. And a huge number of those are (of course), running at least one sniper.

You even run two yourself. Don’t you think it’s even ‘a little’ disingenuous to come here and say that you don’t accept its OP, when you run two of them? Bias aside, why even run one if it’s not that good? Let alone two!

3. A55A51N

A55A51N Well-Known Member

Student
    I have a guildmate who runs 3-4 so..

4. Help I Cant Swim

Help I Cant Swim MVP

Lol, got eem. @yellowocean doesn't want them nerfed because he uses them.

5. yellowocean

yellowocean Well-Known Member

because i'm a long range player... what other weapon does long range point damage for 1 slot point.... DUH... and for those who think i don't want them nerfed just because i use them is so far from the truth... i don't want them nerfed simply because they are not OP, i use 2 because i get more snipers than blast cannons and explosive cannons (that simple)... rescaled maybe... if you think my perspective is skewed towards nightmare, i still play low level battles with an anonymous account.

_devill and Babablacksheep like this.
  6. yellowocean

i'm not a frost user as well, but i never whined for it to be nerfed... now look what happened to it... if you guys can't handle the play, just go find another game... i'm tired of you whiners whining about this is OP that is OP, everything is OP!!! you guys haven't even advanced far enough to get a more wholesome perspective of all the weapons... so just deal with it!!!

7. yellowocean

i've been through the gauntlet of sniper fire thousands of times in this game and i am telling you, sniper cannon is as balanced as it can get... that's why the devs haven't touched it...

8. CaffeinatedChris

CaffeinatedChris MVP

Nikkie! likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.