1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Why does this game reward camping so much?

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by RunAndHide, 3 Jan 2018.

1. RunAndHide

RunAndHide New Member

I'm sure this thread has been done to death before, but it seems like this game should be called "Try Your Hardest To Avoid the Battle Bay". It seems like once you reach a certain level of infamy (I am ~3200 currently, have been up to 3700 at max), the team who sits back and waits has a distinct advantage over the other side on almost every single map. I believe this is due to the level design, because to sit near your spawn you are protected on almost every map except for Chill Zone, whereas if you are the "attacking" side, you have to expose yourself in an open area near the other team's spawn to try and win.

I really enjoy this game and I'm not going to quit, but it seems like there should be some sort of incentive to leave your spawn(ish) area on any of the maps. I'm not sure if the maps need to be modified so that the spawn areas are more open, or the main bottleneck doesn't completely favor the team that sits back and does nothing.

2. CaffeinatedChris

CaffeinatedChris MVP

I don't see anyone playing the waiting/camping game at that level. Advancing cautiously and slowly yes (except for you crazy banana boats) but not "camping."

And at those levels, you're looking at maxed Rares and highly evolved Epics. Dashing in with the #YOLO SWAG hashtag flying is a great way to get a smoking hole blown in you.

3. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

Nearly fell of my chair laughing so hard at this! Kids, don't try this in the game. Just died!!!

The Otherguy and H.A.D.E.S like this.
  4. nuoni

nuoni Member

Spamming mortars and firebombs works against this strat and if the spawn area is confined, mass torp spamming works too

But I'm 1.3k infamy and I've heard high infamy ships move fast enough to dodge all mortars and torps so i would guess the only solution would nothing but fight them toe to toe or try kiting someone.

5. CaffeinatedChris

CaffeinatedChris MVP

You're definitely right with respect to mortars and the yellow boats - they're fast enough and usually packing Nitros to jet out of the way. Torps though, if you fire them from up close, they move fast enough with perks and talents to connect. Lucky hits are always a thing as well, in the thick of battle if one sneaks in from the edge of your screen you might not see the wake in the water until it's too late to dodge.

Direct-damage weapons are definitely needed though - all the mortar spam in the world won't stop an enemy from getting right up in your face and hitting you with a Flare+Blast combo.

6. H.A.D.E.S

H.A.D.E.S Well-Known Member

Yes....best way to counter mortar and torpedo spamming is to go too close to the target with most point damage weapons equipped. Explosive and BC cannon comes very handy in these type of situations.

What's Up Player likes this.
  7. Snapshot

Snapshot Well-Known Member

Oh I do love my trusty little canon... and sniper canon... and blast canon.

"Come here little mortar boat. We need to dance."

Mr. Chompers and -SeeKnDeStRoY- like this.
  8. Zachiderp

Zachiderp Well-Known Member

This problem is seen as soon as you reach 600+ infamy actually. Its so aggravating because most maps support this playstyle and most weapons do as well. Out of 19 weapons 9 weapons support this playstyle. 11 if you include torpedoes. That's more than 1/3 of the weapons you receive will support this playstyle.
    Closing in on enemies is nearly impossible because you're team will most likely be playing passively as well and moving even centimeters in front of them makes you an immediate target to the enemy team. And even when you get close enough the enemy team will follow you till you die and no matter how many times you yelp "HELP"your team ignores you and you die a heroic (but pointless) death

What's Up Player and H.A.D.E.S like this.
  9. TheAntiSnipe

The game's biggest punishment to campers?

Speeders.

The ship everyone wants to nerf, because ALMOST EVERY shooter is a camper. Speeders are probably the only ship that can wait in the shadows, until an unlucky shooter reaches their "assassination range". Then it's over. There's no surviving what comes next, not matter how good you are. Even if I was against Bittersteel (that dude doesn't camp, but this is an example) and I waited until the precise moment when he had 1.4 thousand health, it would be an easy kill for me. I'd swoop in, flare+blast, swoop out before he could turn his turret.

That is why speeders exist. Every time a camper thinks he's hot stuff, there will be a speeder waiting to end him. And that is why there's veeery few campers in NM and so many of them trapped in Ace 1.

The game rewards strategic movement. I went with @devil's demon back when I was a fresh Ace. We went straight into a fixer team from the flank in Dropdead. The fixer was dead in, what? 40-50 seconds? If we had camped back then, we were at a distinct disadvantage. The reason that video is not on YT is because this sort of "speeder rush" is not something you can pull off every time. It only works if the enemy team has a lot of campers.
    There's a LOT of anti-camper strategy, the best one being luring them into an ambush at the capture zone.

Rainbow Warrior and Mr. Chompers like this.
  10. H.A.D.E.S

That's true....so to counter that situation, I usually run and depend on my sniper canon....u just need to make ways to counter such kind situations.
    1. Just know the maps.
    2. Make use of obstacles
    3. Move back and forth, don't stay at one place.
    4. Know your weapons and learn to predict your Target's position and shoot.
    Don't waste your shots in starting by shooting blindly bcoz enemies can come out anytime from anywhere and every weapon takes time to reload.
    Stay away from walls.

So these are some of the key factors that everyone needs to know (specially newcomers) to stay alive and win in battle.

Mr. Chompers and TheAntiSnipe like this.
  11. Zachiderp

You literally used the best weapon which supports camping. It has the most range, insane critical damage, and is very easy to shoot compared to other weapons. I use blast cannon grenade and either mine or swift torp. I know how to close in on enemies but i find it ridiculous that from far away the enemy can do more damage than i can upclose. If you include the fact that they also have better weapons, I'm usually dead before I can even get close. Most maps I'm on I already have the disadvantage because there's almost nowhere to flank in range of my weapons(chillzone, crash and burn i forget the names of the others...)

12. Zachiderp

Not every team has a speeder, and a lot of them aren't good either(where I'm at specifally). I can see how they are great against campers but what about other ships? My enforcer can barely evade mortar shots and I'm using a T4 overboost and turbo. My blast cannon is outranged by mortars and snipers and most times I yell "capture" my team wanders off ignoring me.

13. TheAntiSnipe

It really depends on your infamy. From what I hear, Ace 1 is a real spamzone. So is Master 1, and Master 3(from experience).

14. H.A.D.E.S

Start using a sniper.

15. Zachiderp

2300+ and it sucks

16. Zachiderp

Rng wont let me. I've only gotten 2 snipers from the 9 months(or more) that I've been playing, one of which i bought from the shop, but personally I hate snipers

17. What's Up Player

What's Up Player Well-Known Member

Yes I hate it. Playing at 3000+ infamy..

I almost always spectate the battle until the end. There are tons of battles that ended up 4 of us dead and one shooter (mostly MK6, because he can't just follow his teammates) alive with full health. Why? Because he was camping and lobbing mortars, leaving us 4 vs 5.

Sad thing is, that he has the most (or over average of team) damage done (how couldn't be with that tactics and the fact he survived the longest), ergo the best rewards from our team. But still we lost because of that player (isn't always the case).

18. TheAntiSnipe

Shooter main, 2300+? Sure it sucks. That's the meta because of the sniper cannon and mortar effectivity at mid-game. There's no way to curb campers. Opening up spawns would tip the scales too heavily in the event of an enemy speeder rush.

I guess what I want to know is, what do you suggest?

19. Zachiderp

If i was a shooter I'd be way higher. I'm an enforcer. I suggest making mortars slower at lower levels and faster at higher levels. Nerfing sniper crit chance or making it so the closer you are to an enemy reduces crit chance(like rail gun damage but for crits)

Mr. Chompers and TheAntiSnipe like this.
  20. What's Up Player

What's Up Player Well-Known Member

Sorry offtopic, but I like your new profile picture :p

TheAntiSnipe likes this.