1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

When will the Nightmare Reset issue be addressed?

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by envylife, 20 Jun 2018.

1. Shooter~McGavin

Shooter~McGavin New Member

Every nightmare player has made it through ace 1 and the reset to get there. It is in no way seal clubbing, it is keeping where you belong for your skill/ gear level. If your gear sucks then put money in or wait for the better items to come over time like most.

2. DragonLegend

DragonLegend Well-Known Member

Well in my case, I was in endless loop from 3500-3900, i kept on upgrading talents and weapons, switched one two weapons and one day I made it and I went up n down (mostly down) Still I m in NM ever since. Reset doesn't bother me that much.
    I loved it during event when we were matched with big names in normal mode( maybe because of lesser player playing normal). They were OP but isn't it nice to face a wall and make some cracks.;)

Last edited: 29 Aug 2018
  3. ViscountSniffit

ViscountSniffit Well-Known Member

I don’t think that’s entirely true. The game has been changing, power creeping, and it’s much harder to make it through Ace1 now than it used to be.

This is my gear from when I first hit 3k, about seven months ago, compared to my gear today:
    0C3D8F01-5CA1-4DBB-BA23-C40EB5213D7E.png 874E7ABA-E6B1-44C3-819D-AEBE48B78FB9.png

I’ve made some pretty big improvements: upgraded to mk6, +10 levels on my EC and Big Shield, replaced Rare Blast and OB with Epics, added t4 Epic Bandage, not to mention a bunch of perk and training improvements. Yet my infamy has barely moved.

Back in P0rthos’ era (or even last year), that build would have easily gotten me into NML, getting NML rewards.

Nowadays, I’m running into guys with t4 Legendaries at 3200, because each season, everyone from 3k to 6k is being squeezed into Ace 1, and it needs spacing out.

It shouldn’t take 7 months and thousands of gearscore, just to inch forward 200 infamy. That’s what people are complaining about.

We want to see progress, but the gap between 3k and 4k is bigger now than it ever was, and that wall just keeps getting higher.

4. What's Up Player

What's Up Player Well-Known Member

I like the NML reset. It's the only time you are able to kill your Battle Bay heroes.

Screenshot_2018-08-29-12-44-33-809_com.rovio.battlebay.png

;);)

5. BattleRascal

BattleRascal Well-Known Member

No disagreement, weapon strength is a HUGE factor, way more than skill. I would estimate weapon Strength accounts for 70% of infamy, skill accounts for around 30%. Now, if a player is really BAD, no amount of weapon strength helps. These are the guys that shoot one weapon and then wait for that one weapon to cooldown before shooting the same weapon again. In my particular situation, since my infamy has risen a bit lately, I can only choose from 3 weapons now on my speeder. Either lack of epic parts/lack of duplicates has prevented me from bringing any other weapon up high enough to be serviceable. I am still way under-powered compared to the Tier5 epics I go against every battle, which you see as well in your Ace1/Nightmare player battles.

Sidd gamer likes this.
  6. envylife

envylife Well-Known Member

Really? The definition of seal clubbing is when 5500 Infamy players drop to 4000 Infamy to play 3xxx Infamy players. Even if it's for a brief time, it's seal clubbing, particularly since Matchmaker(tm) exacerbates the situation by using a 900 Infamy spread in the matches.

When NML reset drops me into mid Ace II range, I feel like I'm seal clubbing when my rate of quad-kill matches jumps substantially. Look, it's fun to seal club, I could do it all day long and be happy, and that's why you don't see NML players complaining about the reset. However, being the seal is not fun, and that's the point..

Sidd gamer and Aether_Zero like this.
  7. Shooter~McGavin

Shooter~McGavin New Member

I get it, I was in the same situation you’re in. In fact same boat and set up. But there’s little changes that could make all the difference. Like leveling this flares in place of the blast cannon, and I personally wouldn’t be a fan of the perks in the ex cannon. But I was stuck in the 3300-3600 for a long time till I started making changes.

So what is your complaint about the reset? That it’s keeping you from hitting NML where you’d be playing against those player anyway? It is frustrating even for me when going up against T4 or higher legendaries but there’s not that many of them and they are still beatable. AM is maxed out and he’s not even close to the biggest threats in the bay.

Sidd gamer and StrictSalmon307 like this.
  8. envylife

NML is far off for me because I don't have the weapons for it... so I don't want to be in NML at this point. Because of that I'm asking why I'm being forced to play with and against players that are 1500 higher Infamy than I, which results in my Infamy and and my opponents' Infamy being all over the board in a bi-weekly bases...which is contrary to the purpose of a similar-Infamy matchmaking system, and contrary to a progression system because it's all outside of *my* control.

In other words, I do not understand the point of NML reset... I see all the drawbacks without seeing any benefit to me.

Sidd gamer likes this.
  9. DragonLegend

DragonLegend Well-Known Member

Ditto

10. ViscountSniffit

ViscountSniffit Well-Known Member

Building a t4 Epic Flare is not a ‘little change’. Admittedly, it’s ‘littler’ now that I’ve spent 7 months, treading water, trying to find all the duplicates. But that’s my whole point. It’s like you have to wait in place, while you painstakingly transform your ship from a 3k build to a 5k build, just so that you can reach 4k.

11. JoshW

JoshW Well-Known Member

The easiest solve to the NML reset issue with no drawbacks that I can think of would be to make the minimum infamy of NML players = the reset value. In other words if the reset brings all NML players to 4k infamy they shouldn't be able to drop lower than 4k infamy. This would solve the trickle down power creep through all leagues while still benefiting NML players. These players wouldn't drop into Ace1 and miss out on NML rewards due to poor matchmaking. Also imo matchmaking should not include players from other leagues until you have reached the infamy for that league. For example a masters1 player should not see an ace3 player in their battles until they hit 2300 infamy regardless of how much infamy the ace3 loses during the current season. This change to matchmaking would make it easier to move into the next league without hitting that wall and help us with that need to feel we are progressing (not to mention it would also help with the issue of people purposely dropping infamy).

12. envylife

The issue with your suggestion is that Matchmaker(tm) uses, in my observation, a 900 Infamy spread, so they would still be in matches with low-Ace I players

IMO that's one of Matchmaker(tm)'s flaws... matches should be in a very tight Infamy range (within 100), not a range that exceeds even the seal clubbing penalty drop (800-ish Infamy).

13. V__

V__ Well-Known Member

I found no reason to be in NML at all, ealier it was about the leg piece, but now leg piece can easily achieved through TDM, so what is good about NML?

Easy way for Ace 1 to get to NML is to fleet with someone climbed much higher the season before so they can carry you to 4K. Ace is a mess now when peeps there even have stronger equipments than the so called NML. We should switch the name between NML and Ace.

14. JoshW

JoshW Well-Known Member

I was thinking once you got within 450 infamy (half the usual spread) you would only be playing against players from the league "cap" if you will down to below 450 of your infamy. This way as you near the top of your league the infamy spread gets smaller giving you better odds to actually advance. This would also keep players at the top of a league from hindering the progress of the bottom half of the league.
    It would create a sort of tournament between the masters league tops to see who will advance to ace if that makes sense.

Dilligaf likes this.
  15. JoshW

JoshW Well-Known Member

NML gets higher rewards per battle in addition to the exclusive season rewards.
    Traveling to NML through a stronger players wake hurts everybody. Essentially unless you fleet with this same player every battle you will be watering down your teams potential for victory causing other player to drop infamy as well.
    Switching the names acheives nothing gameplay wise. Did you mean switching all players from ace to NML and vice versa? ;)

SlayerofSergeants likes this.
  16. V__

V__ Well-Known Member

I mean change the Ace league name to Nightmare cause that’s hell at that range. So many guys at 2k carrying t3,4 leg and maxed Epic as well as having Mk7.

17. JoshW

JoshW Well-Known Member

They are likely former NML players who were reset and dropped infamy into ace and decided to stay and beat up on people who are actually trying to progress.

18. xArrogance

xArrogance Well-Known Member

***For those of you that haven't read threads on this subject before, I have a different view of how this plays out .. but all opinions matter equally here***

Assume you're a developer:

1) Let's look at the data:
    • NML accounts > 4000 infamy = 1500
    • Average infamy matches played per day per account = 6-7 (or about 30 minutes)
    • Average NML accounts seeking matches at a time = 31
    • Infamy range: 4001-5800
    2) Now, consider the solutions:

a) You make the infamy MM range tighter (about 100 difference for all 10 players) ...

Result
    : NML matches would queue forever and more people would float to fleet with their friends ... nope.

b) You make the range about 100 for Ace and lower, and 1500-2000 for NML ...

Result
    : As soon as you hit 4k infamy, you're being slammed by people at 5k+. This will create a barrier to entry - which filters down creating more and more barriers or congestion.

Ok, so you realize that the range can be tighter (about 200) where you have more players (at the bottom of the infamy range - hopefully bc of new players). But, that range has to gradually expand as infamy increases (to about 1800 at the top). --- which is probably how it's currently set up.

c) But .. what if you replace the 4k infamy reset with an 8k infamy reset?

Result: Account infamy will certainty spread out more than it is now and you may have less congestion.

However, the infamy range for matches will have to double as well ... so, players will still be matched with the same people ... because there is still the same limited pool of players to match them with (which is much, much smaller than games like CR).

And, of course, there will be an explosion of complaints about infamy differences and ranges (that extend to double what they are now).

You'll never hear the end of "how it's unfair" or "how some people are willing to wait 20 minutes to have that perfect <100 infamy difference match" ... when you know that's probably not a popular opinion - and it'll obliterate your ad revenue.

Oh, and my personal favorite, you'll get more complaints how those at the top (the "rich") are only getting "richer" (than the poor below them) because of the higher league rewards (than the reward system we have now - that awards virtually everyone in NML equally).

So, Dev ... whatcha think?

Last edited: 31 Aug 2018
  19. JoshW

JoshW Well-Known Member

This is a highly controversial issue and it would be really nice to hear from the developers. Even just a "hey we hear you guys and we are working on it" type of announcement would help ease the minds of their players.

BattleRascal likes this.
  20. BattleRascal

BattleRascal Well-Known Member

In the YouTube Q&A with Zeus on the Toobers channel, this question was addressed by him. Anyone who hasn't watched that video should watch the first 45/60 minutes or so, in which WarNet asks Zeus about 30 or 40 questions that users submitted during the live stream. There is some good insight into what Zeus and the developers are thinking. Zeus did not give ANY specifics and some questions he couldn't answer at all, because they are still secrets. But he did acknowledge the Nightmare reset issue. He didn't offer any solutions, he basically acknowledged that they are aware of it. So whether that means they might do something about it in the <next update/10 updates from now/ or never> remains to be seen.