1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Patch Notes v. 3.2 "Hitting the rapid!"

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Zeus, 4 Sep 2018.

1. American Marauder

American Marauder Well-Known Member

CEO of The Skins Factory
    Well then don't adjust anything. That's the great thing about the idea, you're not forced to do anything, but if you want to, then it's there. There's no reason not to allow people to adjust these settings. You do what works best for you. I have no problem as a defender whose agility is far slower than a speeder, wasting them. Ask the speeder i just wrecked :)

*JAWS* likes this.
  2. ViscountSniffit

ViscountSniffit Well-Known Member

I agree that the slider is a bad idea, for two reasons.

1. That doesn’t do anything to address the balance issues. It’s a bit like me being able to set my weapon damage to max. Of course I’m going to end up doing that, and anyone who doesn’t do it, or doesn’t have enough hp to fight against ‘max damage’ ships, will just be left behind.

2. It’s actually not good design to have lots of needless options, it just complicates and fragments the game.

It’s very easy to fall into the trap of thinking more equals better, and more options: more choice, but that’s wrong. Less is more. We don’t need a hundred different options to accommodate every silly whim. What we need is fewer and better options.

3. FallenKnight

FallenKnight New Member

Worst update ruined the controls can't aim properly

4. American Marauder

CEO of The Skins Factory
    No less is more when it applies. Empowering users to modify their game play does not fall under that category.

*JAWS* likes this.
  5. xArrogance

xArrogance Well-Known Member

I think he wants shooters, defenders and fixers to go back to being helpless against good yellow boats..

For me personally, it's a little premature to talk about balance issues. I'm not sure how it'll play out as players adjust to the new agility and turret speed .. only time will tell.

6. ViscountSniffit

As a design choice, I guess it is ultimately subjective, so I won’t argue that.

However, I would point out that agility isn’t the same as something like button size or camera speed. When you modify your experience of the game, you’re also modifying other people’s experience of the game, as your agility directly affects battle performance.

That’s why I’m uncomfortable with it being something that players can set themselves.

7. reptilian_brain

reptilian_brain New Member

People who talk about balance issues and ask to revert simply cannot handle the more demanding steering and aiming that’s it.
    The sliders are perfectly fine and will allow people to gradually get introduced to the more competitive mechanics.
    The main problem with the update is the auto-aim that became way too jumpy as a result of more sensitive steering

8. ViscountSniffit

That’s a misrepresentation. Just because I don’t want Speeders to be helpless, doesn’t automatically mean I want Shooters to be helpless. There must be a middle ground where each ship can do their thing.

You’re mixing up two entirely different issues.

I have absolutely no problem with the new controls. I already played Speeder with Rudder long before this update. The speed of the game is nothing new at all for me.

Tracking Speed however, is a relative balance issue between ships, not a personal preference.

9. American Marauder

CEO of The Skins Factory
    That is the most ridiculous argument i've heard yet. What do you think happens when users put on gear lube or rudders? They modify THEIR game experience. How is this any different at all? It's not. Right now every one has on gear lube and rudders to the max. How is adjusting those settings to your liking a bad thing?

Every item you put on your boat directly affects battle performance LOL

10. ViscountSniffit

Rudder and Gearlube were different because to equip them, you had to sacrifice something else.

Items do affect performance, but you need to work to improve them (that’s the game).

That’s clearly not the same as a slider, where you can just open options, and ram your ship stats up to the max.

Also please refrain from throwing out words like ‘ridiculous’. It’s uncalled for. We’re all friends here right? We can be civil even where we disagree.

11. Stonebanks

Stonebanks Well-Known Member

yass i'm thinking the same, more agility wouldn't modify battle experience for others, if you're feeling great with your gameplay, your skills will be better and better, i've trying grenade for a few battle and still i'm hitting speeders

American Marauder likes this.
  12. reptilian_brain

By tracking speed you mean the turret? It actually makes it mandatory to separate the rotation of the ship and the turret. It’s more challenging but is also more demanding skill-wise - you have to keep track of where you are going and where you are aiming. Just using old “follow camera with ship” won’t work because it puts you at disadvantage against players who can handle.

I play all ships more or less with a slight preference towards fixer and shooter. I played yellow boats yesterday and got from 2600s to 3100s infamy overnight. Yellow boats feel amazing with the new steering and I can absolutely avoid shooter and defender tracking. I had no problem getting 3-4 kills with speeder.

We can do 1v1 if you want - not as a challenge but as test. Seems like you are one of the reasonable update criticizers

Btw what really helped me is increasing the size of the joysticks - I wonder if this is actually affecting the input in a different way from sensitivity slider or if it is 100 subjective.

13. EyeOfDoom

EyeOfDoom Well-Known Member

They're fixing aiming soon. So no problem about that

reptilian_brain likes this.
  14. reptilian_brain

Is it confirmed that they won’t revert steering and turret rotation? I am very pro-update

15. xArrogance

Target lock stops the reticle jump ... but the cycle arrows need to be a little bigger.

16. EyeOfDoom

No. They said reason for bad aim is ship agility > turret rotation. And they going to adjust that soon.

17. ViscountSniffit

Sorry, it is not a problem with my own tracking speed. It’s the fact that other people are now able to track me much better.

For example, if I Nitro past a Defender, he can now instantly spin his turret and hit me on the other side, before my global cooldown has even finished cycling.

Now, you might like that change (some Defenders will argue it was needed), but regardless, there is no denying that it has changed the balance of the game, and made one of my items much less useful than it was yesterday. That’s what I’m trying to draw attention to.

18. EyeOfDoom

I think this is the problem with only overboost speeders because turret can now catch up to speeders on overboost but speeders with double nitro are literally untouchable since they can now nitro in any direction at any time.

19. What do you think what could be the max and min agility you can adjust by slider? Any Guesses!
    Will it decrease or will be the same?

20. xArrogance

That's a tactic - driving through a ship to always stay ahead of their turret .. so maybe you can't do that as easily, but it doesn't mean that nitro is less useful. It's still causing unregistered hits, you can still escape dangerous situations in a second, and you now have the extra agility to avoid mid-to-long-range shots.

American Marauder likes this.