1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Top Features needed? Bay's road to eSports?

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by LooneyTV, 28 May 2017.

1. Razerx100

Razerx100 Member

I know I'll get bashed hard for this but I don't think a P2W game can ever be a serious Esports. There is no reason why it can't but I've not seen one yet.
    In an Esports game everyone has equal chance to win the game by showing their skills. Not by being rich and having Better Legendary Weapons or by starting before others.
    I play League of Legends and Vainglory. Both are pretty serious Esports games. But there are skins which needs premium currency/actual money, which are just luxury. Doesn't affect gameplay at all , you can't just pay a ton to have best Weapons.
    Skills matters, playing age doesn't. If you are a natural skilled player, you can beat a veteran player easily by out playing.

Yes, Battle Bay can have Esports but won't be anywhere close to those game's level with the P2W design.

Zachiderp, Jammo, GhostYasuo and 2 others like this.
  2. P0rthos

P0rthos Well-Known Member

Tournament mode would og co
    If you have a Mac too, then just plug your device into your computer, launch QuickTime, select that device as the source, and hit record. Like magic, beautiful sounding, perfectly smooth, hi-res screen recording. ;) It's what I do.

Jabynator and rlxgenerate like this.
  3. Blood Raven

Blood Raven Well-Known Member

Software Developer
    Thats exactly what I said.
    Skills matter not your credit card stuff.
    Balance with same ships (say speeder league, striker force) same rarity stuff (rare/epic stuff) and same category weapons (cannons/mortars/torpedos) is whats needed along with 5v5 implemented first to clear the route for such happenings.

4. Blood Raven

Software Developer
    Skills is a must as razer said. In tanki too the only win factor is your own skills and teamwork. Cooperation together and your abilities should be the winning keys not equipment.

5. GhostYasuo

GhostYasuo Active Member

Nice to find a fellow Jhin main here!! And yes I do agree with you on that one.The only way I see it being possible is if they restrict weapon tiers and rarity so that each player should have the same weapon level,rarity,perk rarity etc

Razerx100 likes this.
  6. RESQMI

RESQMI Active Member

Just play a game using all new uncommon items with tier 1 ships in tournament mode, just like when anyone start playing this game.
    In this case there will be no advantage over any one, need to have a separate ranking though.
    This should be able to turn it into a skill and fair game.

7. OniZoro

OniZoro Member

Definitely agree with this.

Razerx100 likes this.
  8. rlxgenerate

rlxgenerate Active Member

If you would read what a lot of us are saying...there would be a separate "tournament mode" in place so that items wouldn't be lopsided. Yes, in the current setting, it's not possible. Not at all.
    But with everyone being mk4...restricting weapons to only a certain tier and certain rarity...skill would be the only difference and factor.
    You would be allowed to use and exchange out any perk BUT they all have to be the same rarity.
    That would be similar to someone in csgo taking nades and another teammate taking smokes.
    Or LoL, someone running a dps build and someone else running a support build.
    The point is, if everything was evened out and old "perks" were allowed to be different, this would be a fantastic game to introduce to the eSports world and I would love to be apart of it or shoutcast it!

9. Netsa

Netsa Well-Known Member

I think we can all agree that Battle Bay has the capacity for an esport scene, but the way it's set up right now, the devs would never put in a separate Tournament Mode. Given the type of game this is, setting up tournaments and setting special rules is something that would have to be set up by the players, which warrants more of a Custom Mode situation. If players are able to arrange their own games and teams, that means they can set up unofficial tournaments and get their own thing going.

10. rlxgenerate

2 Points to your statement...

1) What's wrong w/ setting up unofficial tournaments on the side or even official ones once the "mode" is in place?
    -----Hearthstone, Rocket League, CSGO, etc all have official and unofficial tournaments. All players care about is competition and who's the best in the world...

2) It wouldn't be set up by the players. It would be run by the dev's and we wouldn't have access to it. They'd set up "events" and allow players to participate. There'd be special invites that would only allow a specific person to join in. Maybe set it up so that players can view the match in progess.

There's potential but in the end, the only was to make it work (like it does in every other eSport) is to make every item and ship equal.
    Without that, it's not possible and this game will never get there.

11. Blood Raven

Software Developer
    Give us 5v5 first fleet. Then we talk.

Last edited: 4 Jun 2017
    iAmZ likes this.
  12. D3X

D3X Well-Known Member

This I agree completely. It's almost a necessity to level the playing field.
    Competitive advantages like money, time spent, would need to be removed.

For Battle Bay to become an e-sport, it would have to change not only the tournament mode, but remove some of the P2W aspects even from the main game. It makes zero sense to make a tournament mode, where that ladder/scoring system supercedes that of the current global infamy. This would disbalance the P2W model and create a lot less significance to the current gear system.

I honestly don't think you can simply "Tack" on tournament mode without looking at the consequences of devaluing the Gear/Weapon shop system. Players will focus on Tournament mode rather than Free Play, and not care what gear they have for Free Play, and I assume tournament mode would be similar to League of Legends with set ships and weapons to choose from.

This will shoot Rovio themselves in the foot to be honest. So in that sense, I don't see Esports happening.

Last edited: 30 May 2017
    CrawlingSkeleton, Jammo and Razerx100 like this.
  13. Netsa

Netsa Well-Known Member

I could have written my post better. :confused:
    1) Nothing is wrong with it, I was trying to say that we need a custom mode in order to get unofficial tournaments started.
    2) That's how it would work with a Tournament Mode, not a Custom Mode. A Tournament Mode is a bad idea in my opinion, and I don't think the devs would make one.
    Exactly, and Rovio totally isn't going to make the items and ships equal. However, with a Custom Mode, which lets players set their own rules and make their own teams, we can set our own regulations and balance things ourselves.

14. Don't kid me

Don't kid me New Member

Yep, agree with u that particular mode for competitive.

15. Razerx100

Razerx100 Member

Same thing as I said, isn't it?
    "Restriction and even playing field" means removing P2W aspect.
    Also I've thought of it, here is how the tournament I know works.
    A big World Championship, champions from Each region gets to enter in World Championship, Champions from each Country gets to represent the country in the regional Championship.
    So you'll need to make fair grounds for all of those matches. Leave out country one? Maybe somebody really skilled will be left out cuz he is still at MK2 ship with Tier 1 uncommon weapon.
    Also I thought something else too, limit the Weapons to Epic for everyone. Then those who used to have Legendary will be in big trouble since they got used to the damage. Like my Big Torpedo does about 750 damage now. I've developed muscle memory that an enemy below 700 will be gone in 1 shot. Now changing it will affect the gameplay. This will also affect players with weaker weapons.
    Like my Big Torpedo with 4.0 Projectile speed has completely different uses than when it was 3.0 . Someone migrating from Uncommon Turbo to Epic turbo in the tournament will feel like Flash/Quicksilver and chances are will over extend and die quickly.
    So, yes. Not only for tournaments , but Devs will have to provide a practice mode for tournaments with all p2w removed.
    But think about this, that's same as removing P2W mechanics from the whole game.
    Even if not, those who wants fair challenge will leave the normal mode and everyone will play the P2W removed Tournament Practice mode casually.
    So, basically same result. No other way than removing this P2W system.

D3X and GhostYasuo like this.
  16. rlxgenerate

@Razerx100 this "tournament" mode or eSports concept isn't the first time it's been mentioned in the forums. Just maybe the first time in this thread. Trust me, the dev's know about it and would love to implement it into the game. But for now, they have bigger fish to fry and a large crowd to feed.
    Jesus didn't come down to earth and in an instant, save people. He started small. He crawled, then walked, then learned, then taught, then ministered, then challenged us all to mimic his actions.
    That's pretty much where we are right now...the infancy stages. It'll take time to get this whole game ironed out and we'll look back and laugh at the simplicity of where it started.
    Once we get out of infancy, we'll grow into children, then teens, young adults, and after about...a year or so...we'll be mature adults and positive members of society...meaning, we'll have a game we'll all be proud of and want to play competitively.
    Until then, enjoy changing diapers and burps after feedings. We'll all raise this baby into a bad a$$ freakin game!!

17. OniZoro

OniZoro Member

I mean, to be fair, it could be the same way we have Challenges in clash royale, no? How hard would it be to implement?

18. Netsa

Netsa Well-Known Member

...did you just compare Rovio to Jesus? XD
    Not the best analogy, and I also don't agree with you. This game may or may not become more successful, but success doesn't automatically lead to a better game and a happier community. It means a more expanded game, more things to do, more gear to obtain, more modes to play, etc. What it doesn't mean is less P2W, which is the main problem. Given that there are lots of successful-yet-P2W games on the market, especially the mobile market, and none of them have serious eSport communities, I doubt the devs even intended there to be any eSport scene for Battle Bay.

D3X and Razerx100 like this.
  19. LooneyTV

LooneyTV New Member

Thanks P0rthos.By the way, I even talked to you about speeder on your channel 1 day ago. Hopefully the list will be taken seriously because it is needed in order to keep improving this game.

20. LooneyTV

LooneyTV New Member

Guys, thats pretty insane. I wasn't expecting this post to get quite popular, I just wanted to share my ideas for the sake of this game which I already love it. Thanks guys