1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Too much collateral damage for torpedoes?

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Hellcat17, 15 Aug 2017.

1. Hellcat17

Hellcat17 New Member

It seems to me that the big torpedoes have a huge damage radius when the hit a wall or another ship. The damage they do when you avoid a direct hit seems unfair, if you avoid the direct hit you should be hit with maybe ten or twenty percent of the damage. Maybe it's just me but it doesn't seem like a torpedo that you avoid and it hits behind you shouldn't hurt you that much.

2. Excism

Excism Well-Known Member

I agree, torps shouldn't do full damage if they don't hit you.

3. TheCrisco

TheCrisco Active Member

While the splash damage is, admittedly, frustratingly steep, torpedoes in general (and big torps in particular) wouldn't be worth using if it weren't that way. They're incredibly slow, easily dodged when compared to any other (non-mine) weapon, and rely heavily on player skill in predicting movement to get any kind of damage with them. If the splash damage were to be nerfed, they would require a complete re-working as a weapon type.

Ultrah, JustinBeaver, Ian and 3 others like this.
  4. [BB] Shinster

[BB] Shinster New Member

Agreed. I just scrapped t2 swift and big torp. They are great at lower tiers but all the players know how to dodge them fairly easily at higher infamy.

5. Spongeboat

Spongeboat Well-Known Member

I'm gonna have to disagree. Torpedoes are really slow and situational, it's hard to get a hit with these weapons. You'll wanna use them only when you're close to and sure to get a hit an enemy or when they're close to a wall for splash damage.
    Reducing splash damage would render torps useless.

The Otherguy likes this.
  6. Wishaal

Wishaal Well-Known Member

Mine is even harder to hit with, blast radius is way smaller on mine, and usually the damage you receive from a non direct hit isn't as high as big torpedo either.

I think the power of big torpedo is just fine, the power doesn't need a nerf. However, either the blast radius, or the area damage need a BIG nerf.

Hellcat17 and Babablacksheep like this.
  7. CaffeinatedChris

CaffeinatedChris MVP

The brand-named shortening speaks the truth. While I hate taking splash damage from a Big Torp that hits a wall behind me, I'm sure my opponents also hate it when I do a Sniper crit from another zip code. It's part of the tradeoff of torpedoes.

Shadow Moon! likes this.
  8. Joey who

Joey who Well-Known Member

Hitting obstacles with torpedoes is a strategy. I do have to say though, when a torpedo hits an enemy which is alive the surrounding players should recieve 30% of the torpedo's total damage. It's not fair that you recieve massive damage because of your teammates' inability to watch out for torpedoes and/or dodge them.

Cyn and Hellcat17 like this.
  9. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

This is the part that drives me insane. You're focused on your surroundings, and made it a point to navigate away from an incoming torp, but the idiot following you drudges forward head on, eats the torpedo hit, and you get stuck with the splash damage.

Joey who and Epekka like this.
  10. Epekka

Epekka Well-Known Member

yes.
    YES!

but mabye 50%, not 10 or 20.

11. Babablacksheep

Babablacksheep Well-Known Member

Exactly man, smart big torp users usually hit them at structure like shipwrecks and floating boxes and yet you suffer full damage how is that fair. And the second thing i don't like it severely Punishes you for your teammate's mistake of hitting it

Cyn and Hellcat17 like this.
  12. Miathan

Miathan Well-Known Member

I still think the main problem is that it goes through obstacles. Like when you're hiding behind a big rock, and suddenly take 1000 damage out of nowhere because a big torp exploded on the other side of it. That's BS. If they fixed that, so that cover could actually protect you, they'd be much less off a problem and a lot more balanced.

Netsa, Ultrah, Epekka and 5 others like this.
  13. TheCrisco

TheCrisco Active Member

This I can 100% get behind. The fact that the explosions of various weapons in this game don't shape themselves around walls is baffling to me. I don't understand the logic of just making them have a static blast radius, obstacles be damned.

Hellcat17 and Miathan like this.
  14. Joey who

A perfect example of why only the player hit should take full damage while nearby ships should take 30%. Watch the person who walked into the torpedo survive while the 2 who were not at fault suffer.
    ezgif-4-969232cd79.gif

15. Ultrah

Ultrah Well-Known Member

Okay. Okay.

THAT is a Tier 5 LEGANDARY BIG TORPEDO!
    Can we not discuss how long it must've taken to get that?

Ian and The Otherguy like this.
  16. The Otherguy

The Otherguy Well-Known Member

Tech support
    A torp is like a mortar with very flat trajectory. If it hits you, its like the projectile hit you, but if it hits the wall (or shipwreck or ship) next to you, the blast radius works like a mortar.
    TL;DR The farther you stay from torps, the better.

17. Joey who

Not long at all. He is the biggest spender in Battle Bay, he has probably been playing less time than you but the point is, those players were damaged and killed by their teammate running into the torp, which is never fair at all

Last edited: 18 Aug 2017
  18. Desirè

Desirè Member

Dat damage tho

Attached Files: