1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Time To Buff Defender... or nerf Shooters and Enforcers. Fixes suggested.

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by *JAWS*, 17 Feb 2018.

1. A55A51N

A55A51N Well-Known Member

Student
    Adjust hitbox, maybe give that blue slot point so they can use rudder/lube easier, no need for anything else.

xxxBISMARCKxxx likes this.
  2. Riddlerpaji

Riddlerpaji Active Member

All ships are balance now except shooter. I hope devs reduce hp little bit and increase turret speed. (My opinion). Damn some shooter come with 10k hp. Its hard to defeat them. Even with 9k hp is unbeatable.

3. Help I Cant Swim

Help I Cant Swim MVP

Playing with defenders from 2500-3500 infamy, I don’t think they need a buff at all.

Babablacksheep and The Otherguy like this.
  4. Oberst

Oberst New Member

How do u think when u choose Defender ship ? for RUSH and quickly finish opponent Ships !

How do the opponent think if u choose Defender ship ?! Oh, slow blue ship and yellow boat can shot and run escape, big size to easy to aim them ( Nightmare league 75% others ships don't scare Defender's Big HP )

don't tell me u choose Defender ship for cover fire like the Shooter!

Nightmare 4000+ infamy I haven't seen defender player don't use 2 exp cannons to climb higher 4200 infamy before !

but now Ec cannon nerfed 2 seconds and range, I bet if u want to rush and try to kill the opp fixers ( or lowed HP ships ) but u missed one shot. U wanna cry ..... 2 seconds very Important with Defender when they rush attack in Enemy line. Specially RARE Ec Cannon I'm using with ~ 1250 dmg for 14,4s = 90 Dps so useless with yellow boat

Early game if u hve good skill to aim EC from long range, Ec cannon very useful with your Defender and your team

Finally, I have seen 1 shooter or 1 speeder or 1 enforce can win the match when 1 v 4. But impossible with Defender if 1 v 2 yellow boats !

Hope for next update ( something better for Defender ), sr my English not good

Oberst

5. *JAWS*

*JAWS* Well-Known Member

Thank you Oberst. Oberst is a defender only player. Ranked #2 in the world for Defenders.

He speaks the truth. Cool down kills us.
    Being big blue easy to hit kills us.
    Our attributes aren't good enough to overcome ex cannon cool down issues.

Maybe as another Poster suggested. Overall global Cool down for Defender can be reduced to 0. Or to 1 second.
    Anyone looked back at Top of the 10? No defenders only. Noat (Formerly Benjen) is barely in top 30 now. None of the defenders are getting past 5.45k this 2 week period. The nerfing has drastically hurt defender.

Some players have mentioned that if the weapon nerf hurt defenders this badly the weapon was Op.

And proves Defender needs drastic help.

This discussion has reached a level of a Buff is coming. I just ask Developers to be liberal with the buff. And apply multiple of these ideas. We have an 5.45k infamy cap and are stuck here without a fix.

Last edited: 21 Feb 2018
  6. Help I Cant Swim

Help I Cant Swim MVP

@*JAWS* I'm perfectly fine for the very top level defenders receiving a buff. I am not in nightmare, so I cannot comment on those defenders. All that I know is that in the 2.5k-3.5k infamy, from what I've seen, the defender is very strong and a major buff would push it into OP territory.

Also, no offense, but I'm not surprised that the defender has the lowest infamy peak and the least following at the top..... It is by far the easiest boat to play. Easier than shooter. Only 3 functions and most defenders just charge straight in without dodging anything. It has the highest skill floor, but the lowest skill ceiling...

7. xxxBISMARCKxxx

xxxBISMARCKxxx Well-Known Member

To me the skill required of a defender comes from different things, especially awareness and anticipation. When you move slow you have a lot less margin for error if you get out of position. So, when I'm playing well it is generally because I am doing a good job of knowing what the other team/player is going to do before they do it. While all boats have to do this to a certain extent, let's say for example I try for a flank and it just turns out all wrong, with me running into way too many red ships at once or maybe all the red ships moved to the far side of the map. It becomes very difficult to make up for that one wrong guess.

As for charging in, it will always have its place, but it requires a great deal of judgment and timing to execute well. Because, again, if you choose wrong it is very difficult to correct. I feel like that is the biggest challenge for a defender, that its margin for strategic error is a lot lower than for other boats.

Snapshot, _devill, LimeOnMars and 3 others like this.
  8. *JAWS*

*JAWS* Well-Known Member

Agreed.

Situational awareness has to be high for the defender.
    Our life span is like that of a Monarch Butterfly. Here today. Gone tomorrow.

The high hp.that players get scared up is nothing compared to the awesome fire power of 5 ships shooting a defender at once. 18k. Gone instantly.

So map sweetness by defenders usually surpasses all other boats except fixers.

Also the 3 weapon limitation with now yellow escape buttons to hit leaves the Defender very little margin of error.

When we do our thing correctly it seems as if the Defender snuck up on unfriends like a covert ninja assassin and then unloads

When we suck it up. Looks like a suicidal charge where over half our hp. Has already been wasted.

To those who don' know. All defenders must be simpletons.

But for those in the know. With this one boat. You can learn the skills to play all other boats.

If u doubt it. Anyone think grey storm stinks? Nope. He plays a mean enforcer, shooter, ....etc. now.

Learned that all from playing defender.

But back to topic.

Buff Defender. And keep it relevant to other boats which clearly now have much better advantages since last 2 updates.

9. PastelPiku

PastelPiku Well-Known Member

Security
    When a defender flanks me successfully it's the scariest thing in the game. Like, "Hi you're about to die? I have 17k health, I'll take you on point blank."

Help I Cant Swim and _devill like this.
  10. FearsomeChicken

FearsomeChicken Well-Known Member

9/10 times the defender would be killed before he flanks you, targeted by the whole enemy team of shooters before he reaches you, just because they are big, fat, slow, and basically free damage to make your end game score look good.

11. PastelPiku

PastelPiku Well-Known Member

Security
    I'm talking about when they pull it off it's scary. If your team backs you up, yeah, you win.

FearsomeChicken likes this.
  12. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

Two defenders going kamikaze into your fixer=The End.

PastelPiku likes this.
  13. *JAWS*

*JAWS* Well-Known Member

Best Defender in the game finally said... screw it.

He went full on Shooter.
    He previously was stuck since last update at 5.45k. And then crashed to 5k. And was ranked number 30.
    So he had enough.
    Now we got more shooter spam. By Naot switching boats. He skyrocketed to rank number 3 in the world as a shooter.

Same player. Same skills. Difference is all in the boat.

Defenders have skills while massively handicapped by the boat. The boat is imballanced.

If this doesn't prove defender needs a buff. Nothing I say will.

@Miika @The Grim Repair @Dmg don

That leaves Now Oberst as the highest Defender only player in leaderboard. He currently capped out at 5.1k

As for myself playing defender. My cap this season has been 5k. Down 300 from my high score.

Must we lose more great defender players?

Jaws

Attached Files:

14. A55A51N

Student
    Seriously @*JAWS*, tagging devs in every post you make doesn’t help. They do read everything, especially this since over 100 replies to this thread.
    Plus as i explained before, there are other reasons why defender isn’t used. Sure, a buff is needed, but the boat isn’t that severely behind others.

15. Kalbs

Kalbs Well-Known Member

LOL

I won't be surprised if he is on the ignored list

16. A55A51N

Student
    I wouldn’t be either

17. Help I Cant Swim

Help I Cant Swim MVP

If he is on the list, then I definitely am :p

@*JAWS* what would be your top 3 defender buffs that would balance it without making it OP at lower infamy? Training improvements? Ship buffs? Slot buffs?

18. Zachiderp

Zachiderp Well-Known Member

Just know that all proposed buffs/nerfs with affect ALL levels, not just the top 50.

19. *JAWS*

*JAWS* Well-Known Member

I like tagging devs.

But for this question top fixes that won' hurt lower levels.
    Are already in my main 2 buffs from original post.
    1) fix attributes for Defender. I gave suggestions from improving turret, radius, speed, and defense points, maybe more h.p.. This can be done on a sliding scale towards mk.7.
    But do realize when enforcer got a buff. Every single enforcer got the same level speed bump and up bump.
    I leave the how much attributes to give buff per mark defender ship up to the devs.
    2) the size reduction or the hit box reduction is key to defender survival. Every single boat on the bay hunts defenders to get their weapons damage requirements for legendary weapons. This is fact. Why? Because we are easy to hit and move hella-slow. The hit box for Defender is bigger than than boat shows in screen. It is common for a defender to get hit by every torpedo and mine known to mankind when u know it missed u. But the hit ox allows the shot to land. This isn't lag. It' a design flaw. Every level has players skilled enough to hit a defender as it is currently sized.

I...f none of the above ideas are implemented. And I mean a buff that is liberal.... then
    I would want a 3) a global Cool down reduction for Defender boats. Starting at none for mk1. And by Mark 7. A global Cool down of 2 Or 1 seconds reduction for Defender boats.
    The ex cannon nerf creamed all defender only players By 300 to 500 infamy. So was it the weapon. Or is it that we are way too affected by cooldown? We only have 3 slots. No yellows.

4) if that doesn't happen. By mk.7...defender needs 4 red slots. Being the only boat to have an extra weapon slot.

My first preference for bay balance is choice 1 and 2. And many, many players here agree with this.

But their is multiple ways to skin a cat as the saying goes. So however devs want to balance it from all these ideas. I am fine with.

What I am not fine with... is status quo. Status quo has a infamy cap.
    And is easy pickings for all boats.

My self when I dabble at speeder. I salivate at the idea of a 1vs1 verse any defender. Doesn' matter the nitemare level of the player. Ps. I suck at yellow boat play.

We all know the last 2 updates where primarily aimed to hit weapons the speeders used. But when it did these nerfs. It exposed an obvious truth about defenders. We were too reliant on one weapon. There is an inherent flaw in the boat design.

We the players masked it by figuring out ex cannon. But that's
    Not there anymore. The boat limitation is painful.

Needs a buff.

TheAntiSnipe and FearsomeChicken like this.
  20. Help I Cant Swim

Help I Cant Swim MVP

I don't think turret speed, turning radius, defense points or h.p. will make much of a difference. I don't play defender, but it wouldn't change how I view a defender if any of these are buffed. I disagree with increasing ship speed. My speed as a speeder is capped, but your hp as a defender is not. I don't think defenders need to be any faster. They are supposed to be the slowest ship on the bay.

This is interesting to me... If the hit box is legitimately larger than the size of the ship, then that is a logical way to buff the ship by decreasing the hit box to match ship size.

This is interesting as well. Do you mean a reduction in the global cooldown or a cooldown reduction for all equipped items?

I think this would be a solid last ditch effort to buff defenders. It does make it more similar to the shooter, so I'm not sure it's my favorite.

I agree that defender needs a buff for the top infamies. I think the devs need to be very creative with this so that only the skill ceiling of the defender is raised, not the skill floor. I also hope they will take the advice that I and many others have given to make small changes more frequently.

Whatever the defender buff is, I hope they stay true to what a defender is supposed to be. A big, damage-dealing, bullet sponge.

I think this would be a great chance to implement a sandbox for select players to participate and test balance changes. Pull in a handful of the top players of each boat and give them all even equipment, ships, etc.