1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

This is why Sniper is Broken

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by ViscountSniffit, 4 May 2018.

1. Rainbow Warrior

Rainbow Warrior Well-Known Member

We have almost the same infamy, we face some of the same adversaries. You were lucky that those shots came from snipers since you were a sitting duck waiting to be sunk and when you started to move you moved as predictable as possible.
    If they had used railguns, explosive, flare or blast you would be in a bigger trouble ;)
    Use speeder's agility

danielCragere and The Otherguy like this.
  2. Kurd1stan.

Kurd1stan. Well-Known Member

And that is the problem in SC , even if you move a player at the maximum SC range can hit you easily with a little bit of aiming

3. DarkImmortal

DarkImmortal Active Member

And that is the problem of players who don't know how to use wave as cover from Sniper shots

danielCragere and TheAntiSnipe like this.
  4. Rainbow Warrior

Rainbow Warrior Well-Known Member

It only works on a speeder if we use the waves. Speeders are terrible on backwards.

The Otherguy likes this.
  5. ViscountSniffit

ViscountSniffit Well-Known Member

No, the only mistake I made was playing the game. I had to turn my boat around because Speeders can’t go backwards, they are even slower than Defenders in reverse. If the Speeder could reverse, then Snipers would probably be much less of an issue (in fact half the time I do turn my boat around drive slowly backwards when I want to advance, which sounds ridiculous, but it’s the only way you can retreat quickly, if you spot an unfriend, and that’s entirely because of Snipers).

Anyway, I tried to get back into cover as quickly as possible, even Nitroed away, but they’re just too easy to hit with, even at that distance.

Last edited: 5 May 2018
    Nikkie! likes this.
  6. DarkImmortal

First, how do you know Speeder is slower than Defender when moving backward?. Have you conducted any test?. Second, do you know that Overboost also boosts your backward speed?

Rainbow Warrior likes this.
  7. ViscountSniffit

I’ve played thousands of games in Speeder. I know that if someone fires a mortar at you, and you try to reverse out the circle, then you won’t make it. And hitting OB tends to jolt you forward when you’re trying to change direction, which often makes things worse.

8. #CK

#CK Active Member

drone pilot
    pls answer my question ? what kind of nerf then ? for SC . any idea

9. Ian

Ian Well-Known Member

Student
    Waiting for this thread to reach 10 pages of replies before inevitably being locked as per usual...

My opinion? Sniper is probably the best weapon for shooters in the mid infamies, and is a great weapon in 4k+. Verdict: no nerf needed

10. ViscountSniffit

Sorry, I wasn’t ignoring you, I just had a lot of posts to respond to.

I think any kind of nerf would help TBH. Tesla Bolt got +7 seconds of cooldown added to it. I imagine sniper users would be livid if that happened to them. Personally, I just think it should lose all its extra crit chance stuff, and just have the same crit chance and perks as other cannons (it can keep the bigger crit talents). Then it would still be useful for strategically finishing off low hp ships at range, and putting a bit of early damage on ships. But it won’t be game breaking and spammable anymore as a main source of damage.

Nikkie!, A55A51N and Kurd1stan. like this.
  11. Ian

Ian Well-Known Member

Student
    Be the bigger ship(heh), just because your boat takes a nerf doesn’t mean you gotta fire back and nerf their items, just take the nerf and move on.

12. ViscountSniffit

That’s not what happened at all. I (and many others) have been calling for a sniper nerf since long before Tesla Bolt got nerfed (even before the whole Tesla resistance thing).

13. DarkImmortal

You have played thousand of games with Spder doesn't mean that you know everything. Back to what you're saying, could you answer my questions:

1) How do you know that backward speed of Speeder is slower than a Defender? Do you have anything to proof or it is just what you feel?

2) FYI, Overboost also increases your ship backward speed and it will not make your ship go forward

14. ViscountSniffit

I don’t know, or care. It was just a figure of speech. Suffice to say: Speeder is dangerously slow in reverse.

What tends to happen though is you’re already going forwards, and when you hit reverse, you don’t change direction straight away because your momentum is still carrying you forwards. That’s the most dangerous part, because your ship needs to slow right down to a stop and then slowly accelerate in the other direction, which actually makes you way more vulnerable to Snipers. If you hit OB while you still have a bit of forward momentum, then it does bump you forwards, and makes the process even longer.

I’ve been killed too many times by snipers trying to stop and then reverse. It doesn’t work. At least when you turn, you’re still a moving target, and then you can Nitro away, which is always better if you have the space.

15. DarkImmortal

Another thing I want to ask. Do you know how to use wave to boost your speed? (Both backward and forward)

16. ViscountSniffit

This is starting to get a bit off topic, but please feel free to tell me everything I’m doing wrong. You don’t need to keep asking me questions.

While you’re at it (just out of interest) how many snipers do you run on your main setup? And why?

Nikkie! and A55A51N like this.
  17. Jasper21

Jasper21 Active Member

https://replay.battlebay.net/TGBKCWJH#TLCBKNBJ

This was a battle of mine in mid of February before I stopped playing the game and I did a lot of reversing with my speeder. Not that dangerously slow it seems ;)

18. DarkImmortal

I already pointed out what you were doing wrong in that match:
    - You had vision on enemy team but still decided to go out
    - You didn't know how to use wave as cover to avoid sniper shots
    - Because you think that you should go forward whenever you activate overboost => you took your time to turn the ship whole way around and letting others know where you're heading to. At that moment, it was like : "Feel free to shoot me because I take my time turn the ship around and this is where I am going"

About my setup, I am using 2 sniper cannons on my MK6 Shooter because:

- I can deal dmg from far away and sometime, it crits. (Please don't tell me that is why i use SC, 1k4 dmg when crit doesn't mean much when Yellow ships I face always have 6-8k HP and when they turn on OB, you don't even need to shoot them because you will miss)

- I have 2 SC in my setup because I have played them since the first day I played this game.

19. A55A51N

A55A51N Well-Known Member

Student
    @DarkImmortal, i am a noob who gets hit by snipers. Can you please show me this ”using wawes as a cover” thing? I’d like to see someone do it, with a video.
    Because the point of this game is to do damage and you can’t do damage behind a rock, which is what you all want us to do.

ViscountSniffit likes this.
  20. ViscountSniffit

Indeed, it doesn’t require any mystical hidden powers to avoid EC and Torpedos. If one of the game’s top NML players still hasn’t figured out how to avoid Snipers, then perhaps they are too difficult to avoid... which brings me back to: needs nerf.

Here is another (perhaps better) example from just now.

https://replay.battlebay.net/GBKHYKSW#NFGDXGMH

Watch me at the start of the game. I even go around the corner backwards so that I can Nitro back in quickly. Yet as soon as the first ship appears on my radar: BLAM! -1400! HP, and the battle hasn’t even started.

This is what I’m talking about with the Sniper Tax. Every game, you’re basically starting with 3/4-1/2 hp, because of Snipers.

EDIT: Also notice how I have to spend a lot of that game cowering behind walls. And literally all the damage I took was from snipers.

(Though the second crit I probably deserved. You can’t see it on the replay but I was actually watching the Defender with my camera).

Last edited: 5 May 2018
    Nikkie! and A55A51N like this.