1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

This is why Sniper is Broken

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by ViscountSniffit, 4 May 2018.

1. ViscountSniffit

ViscountSniffit Well-Known Member

Well I’m already in a Speeder, so the second part should be covered.

As for skill... I’m not even sure I should dignify that with a response. But, given how little skill it requires to hit with a Sniper (see the above comment about fish in a barrel), the implication that you need ‘leet skills’ to avoid it, essentially proves that it’s heavily unbalanced.

Too easy to use + too hard to avoid = needs nerf.

2. SupremeCalamitas

SupremeCalamitas Well-Known Member

I don't think it's your business
    You don't need to worry about those noobs higher Infamies.. everyone seems to fast for them. And they might find another weapon they like by then

TheAntiSnipe likes this.
  3. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

I love seeing the way these peeps react when death comes for them in the form of the business end of the blast cannon

Nikkie! likes this.
  4. envylife

envylife Well-Known Member

I've been pondering the concerns with Sniper and one solution that hasn't been discussed is Map design

Let's compare Sniper (Long-range Canon) vs LRM (Long-range Mortar).

Sniper:
    • Advantage: +7 Range over LRM
    • Advantage: 45% crit chance
    • Advantage: Ceilings, arches are never an issue
    • Disadvantage: Walls, rocks

LRM:
    • Advantage: Area damage
    • Advantage: Can shoot over rocks/walls
    • Disadvantage: Ceilings, arches, doorways block shits

Those last 2 items in each section are purely about map design.

Wayward Pains is a good example of this where Sniper is not useful everywhere, but neither are Mortars with all the ceilings and high walls.
    The Foundry is very Sniper friendly with most of the fighting in the open, while the bridge blocks many mortar shots.
    Sub Zero is also very open, and Sniper friendly. The bigger than average waves reduce Sniper effectiveness, but not that much.
    Damage Depot very Sniper friendly as most of the fighting is done in the open, and the capture area is easy for Sniping and tough for mortars.

We all could use a little extra thought about map positioning when we find out which weapons are being used against us... most maps have safe areas from mortars and snipers, but obviously some less than others.

TheAntiSnipe likes this.
  5. A55A51N

A55A51N Well-Known Member

Student
    Fixed it for you

6. envylife

envylife Well-Known Member

Those are good additions. Sniper is super easy to hit with 100-200%% damage, while LRM requires a lot of leading and a lot of luck to get 100% damage. While I rarely miss with LRM, there's only a 10% chance of issuing 100% damage on a single boat... it requires lots of luck to predict player movement.

7. ViscountSniffit

ViscountSniffit Well-Known Member

I can’t think of any map where Sniper isn’t good. It’s very annoying at extreme range, but its real power is at medium range (20-25) where it’s extremely easy and fast to hit with, while EC and Blast have a long air time, and need a lot of lead.

In terms of map design, cover isn’t always helpful unless you have a good idea where the unfriends are. Fighthouse, Foundry and Crude Awakening are some of the worst maps for getting sniped, because there are just so many angles, it can be hard to find safety. Especially in the middle.

Dropdead Gorge tends to be easier, even though it’s very open, because you usually know where the unfriends are coming from, and the central arch offers really good cover, very close to where the fighting happens.

Nikkie! and StrictSalmon307 like this.