1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

This is why Sniper is Broken

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by ViscountSniffit, 4 May 2018.

1. ShipCrusherCz

ShipCrusherCz Well-Known Member

at my level (low infamy, warrior, don't ask how I dropped there) are snipers unbalanced, they crit for 800+ damage or even 1000+ but normal BC or EC (almost noone uses EC at my infamy) do around 500 damage or maximaly 600, is there still the point of "sniper's crits do same damage as BC or EC normal hits"?

2. ViscountSniffit

ViscountSniffit Well-Known Member

Well let’s test that.

Do you deny that Sniper is able to exercise huge area control, and deny access to open spaces?

Do you deny that Sniper is the most effective and reliable way to damage ships in the first few moments of battle (first ship sighted)?

Miika has even said (more or less) that Sniper is amoung the top 3 most damaging weapons. Only slightly behind EC and Blast, which are typically run as part of combo that required 2-3 slots, and 2 (much harder) shots to set up. To me, that sounds like Sniper is likely therefore the most powerful single slot option in the game, by quite a margin.

It’s one of the most overused weapons in the game (if not the most overused). It’s hardly surprising really that it would have plenty of proponents. But can you really expect people to be objective about thier own gear? I know that I would struggle to be completely objective about another EC nerf.

Last edited: 8 May 2018
  3. Fiorell

Fiorell Active Member

Some more thoughts:
    I'm pretty confident that the 'easy aiming' of SC is a necessity.
    Why? Because you cannot just expand the range of a standard cannon and keep the speed of the projectiles. This would make it very hard to hit with such a weapon on the increased range. The game designers did also give the SC a long reload time and therefore, if you want the weapon to be usable, you must make sure that it hits relatively often - otherwise the weapon wouldn't make much sense.
    On the other hand, I also agree that SC is annoying for 'scout ships', especially when the first shots with the SC crit. This is even more of a problem since the crit chance and damage of the SC can be increased to a very high level with perks. For me (and I use a SC) it would be ok if they reduce the crit damage and chance with the perks and instead increase the base damage or add some utility (shortly slowing down ships? Shortly stunning ships? etc.).
    I don't think that SC is a powerful weapon in near combat.

TheAntiSnipe likes this.
  4. Kyoob Cubison

Kyoob Cubison Member

Fair and well constructed reply, gg mate.

ViscountSniffit and TheAntiSnipe like this.
  5. Mad_Bulls_007

Mad_Bulls_007 Well-Known Member

Well, all I can say about sniper is that it is perfectly balanced in Nightmare league, as my 1700 crit doesn't seem to effect that much with shooters having 10-12k hp and also speeders here have a decent 7k to 8k hp. And I need not tell about defenders, they literally charge at you and sniper is no good against them, and also the rise of Enforcers has made the sniper less useful ( not completely useless) in Nightmare. The fixers are the one that are affected the most with the sniper crits imo.

Most of the players complaining that sniper is OP is from Ace and below leagues, and I get it. Most of the players there has around 5-6k hp for a shooter and even less for fixers and speeders. I don't know ow how they're going to fix this s***, but I hope in the next update it would be solved.

The reason why i say this is because, I don't see any nightmare players complaining in the sniper Nerf thread ( well, maybe few ), but the complaining is from lower leagues. So, corretive measures has to be taken in those leagues , not Nightmare:rolleyes:

6. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

Agreed.

Nikkie!, ElMataC and Mad_Bulls_007 like this.
  7. A55A51N

A55A51N Well-Known Member

Student
    Nightmare here for almost 10 seasons, and nerf is needed. And there aren’t that many daily active NM members in here, at least i don’t know that many.
    (most) Snipers in NM crit for 2000+ (the standard epic t5 one). That plus the full training (speed, range, crit talents) and epic perks makes the normal shot do 700 and crits 2000-2500. That is roughly 1/3 of my 6414 hp (that’s maybe a little below average for 4000-4500 shooter). That’s 1/6 of the übershooter’s hp, that there are only few and usually above 5k.

Defenders usually have 15-20k hp, so that sniper crit takes 1/7 to 1/10 of their hp. Only other weapons capable of doing that damage are mine and big torpedo, both of which are ridiculously easy to dodge and need a lot of skill to use, unlike sniper.

So yes, it is a problem in NM as well

8. Mad_Bulls_007

Mad_Bulls_007 Well-Known Member

Well, I believe ur one of the few nightmare players who feels it needs Nerf.. lol:D

What's Up Player likes this.
  9. Stelmo

Stelmo Well-Known Member

I'll speak up then, one more for your list.

10. Kurd1stan.

Kurd1stan. Well-Known Member

I said the same thing at the first 2-3 pages of this thread and no one even payed it attention, no sniper user will ever want his item to be nerfed , ExC is my only t5 epic item as F2P it is really hard to get one but i don't mind if devs have to nerf it if it is OP ,

And believe me devs know that SC is OP

The main problem is in that devs nerf an item if it is overused by to many players , ok now it is a good idea , but that is why there are always some OP items because if devs don't nerf an oP item because it is used by a very small amount of players then when a normal or OP item bet nerfed for being used too much by players then players will start to switch to another powerful item and that is that item that it was OP but underused ,and with the rise of that OP item ,devs will buff other items that they might be OP item but underused and when devs nerf the new overused item the same thing will happen again and again ....

TheAntiSnipe and ViscountSniffit like this.
  11. ViscountSniffit

That could certainly be true. It wouldn’t be the first time a company has deliberately cycled the meta to make people spend more. I just wish we could cycle away from Sniper already.

How about making Carronade OP instead? I could have some good battles against an OP Carronade user, and I might actually get to do some of that ‘fun’ stuff, like shooting back, dodging, and running away, before I lose... :rolleyes:

12. Rainbow Warrior

Rainbow Warrior Well-Known Member

At my current infamy (around 3500), oh, I definitelly do. Plus I don't remember having problems with it from 0 to 3500 on my main account or from 0 to 1000 on my mini account, it just allow me to keep distance from the mk5-6 I faced with my mk2 :p but things could be different from 1000 to 2500 nowadays, I don't know
    Pretty sure you are misquoting him ;) except if that wasn't what you are refering to
    [​IMG]

Nikkie! and ViscountSniffit like this.
  13. ViscountSniffit

Perhaps I was mistaken. I thought when he said EC was first, he meant first overall, but perhaps he just meant first of the three (though I’d be quite surprised if those three aren’t the top scorers).

14. Rainbow Warrior

I don't know, some big torp users got its achievments from it before any cannon... I guess only the Devs can know for sure :D

ViscountSniffit likes this.
  15. Kurd1stan.

Make Carronade OP Screenshot_٢٠١٨-٠٤-٢٩-٠٠-١١-٤٦.png definitely Agree with you:p:D

But if a speeder is using carronade against you it will be so hard that you win (for example me : i use a Carronade and double fast reload nitro

TheAntiSnipe likes this.
  16. Kurd1stan.

Well iam at 3.9k-4k infamy ,my mini is at 1.3k infamy and it is OP and always was

17. Rainbow Warrior

Which indicates that its supposed overpowerness is probably related with playstyle or point of view ;)

Kurd1stan. likes this.
  18. Kurd1stan.

Maybe , but if speeder and enforcer (who are made to use items that its pros isnt speed and range ) use SC away more than expected. Does this mean anything to you?

19. StrictSalmon307

StrictSalmon307 Well-Known Member

Professional student
    I guess the only way to dodge snipers would be to have cover or to nitro with good timing on yellow ships.

A55A51N likes this.
  20. StrictSalmon307

StrictSalmon307 Well-Known Member

Professional student
    You sound like a lawyer :D
    Good points though, sniper is way easier to use than any other weapon.