1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Things to never, ever, EVER use on speeder

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by SupremeCalamitas, 13 Apr 2018.

1. SupremeCalamitas

SupremeCalamitas Well-Known Member

I don't think it's your business
    #1: mortars. Speeders are designed to NOT use mortars. Speeders should get close to the enemy, which is NOT optimal for mortars.

#2: missiles. Same as mortar

#3:railgun. Weak at close range and INSANE cooldown.

Pretty much any long-range only weapon is terrible with speeder

2. Stonebanks

Stonebanks Well-Known Member

2 months ago i was using missiles on speeders. Worked great.

Captain Gilligan likes this.
  3. Hokuse

Hokuse Well-Known Member

I have seen a speeder with missles and frost blaster. He was really strong :D

4. Kitterini

Kitterini Well-Known Member

Yeah we wouldnt want people playing a game in whichever manner they prefer!

5. Fluid Bait

Fluid Bait Well-Known Member

Neptune_Gaming likes this.
  6. SupremeCalamitas

Thank god he wasn't frost launcher/mortars ENFORCER. Dear Jesus.

7. Admiral DJ

Admiral DJ Well-Known Member

You mean there’s people out there that would disagree with my opinion?!?? I’ve never heard of such an outlandish thing.

8. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

BasedCarpen is a freakin' god with his mortars.
    Duuude, rail snipe is AWESOME!

Fluid Bait likes this.
  9. super_sonic181

super_sonic181 Well-Known Member

Well @Blood Raven is using Both Rail gun and Long Range Mortar and it pretty much works for him.

10. Help I Cant Swim

Help I Cant Swim MVP

A "god with his mortars" that is under 3k infamy and isn't even playing as a mortar Speeder anymore. Now playing Missile Defender. So clearly it wasn't so godly.

Mortars on a Speeder is not a good idea. It is usable, but it will not come close to competing with a meta Speeder.

I believe Raven primarily plays Shooter. We are talking about Speeders here. Edit: just read Raven's thread about his Speeder. It's an interesting setup and can obviously do lots of damage (if your items are high level...). I'd challenge that Raven and his awesome weapons could probably make almost any setup work on any ship. I'd also say that in those same games that he got the streak, he probably could have done at least that well using his Shooter setup. Maybe better.

To the OP... you are correct on the mortars. They are not good on Speeders. Don't care who has used what and done something with them. That is a bad combo.

Missiles and Railgun are slightly better on a Speeder than mortars, but they are still not ideal. Only use them if that is all you've got. I don't know why people are disagreeing with you like these are the meta weapons. The players that use these two are the exceptions, not the rules.

Missiles are not great on Speeders because they are inconsistent. When you only have 2 weapons, you need 2 that are guaranteed to hit. Shooters use Missiles well because they have 4 other weapons to pop off.

The Railgun is not great on a Speeder for 2 reasons. Firstly, the reduction for close-range hurts Speeders, who mostly play at close range. Secondly, the Speeder has the lowest turret height by far, so it has the most difficult time shooting over waves. A Sniper Cannon is almost always a better choice on a Speeder than a Railgun.

You do realize that video was from over a year ago and before global launch, right? That video is pretty irrelevant at this point.

Last edited: 13 Apr 2018
  11. Fluid Bait

Actually, you need rather only one that can consistently hit. Which is the reason so many speeders use mines, big torps, and other "unreliable" weapons with some cannon, instead of running 2 boring cannons.
    I know that the video is old, but what's the difference between then and now?
    I never knew that the extra cooldown/longer flight time nerf, made missiles unusable on a speeder.

12. Help I Cant Swim

Help I Cant Swim MVP

"So many speeders" are not running Big Torps. Almost all of them now run the Flare + Blast/EC setup. That is due to reliability. Big Torp used to be so popular because the frost torp combo made it ridiculously reliable (and super powerful) so it was almost a guaranteed hit. I also never said Big Torp is bad on a Speeder.

And Mine is a different story. Again, never said Mine was bad on a Speeder. Area control weapons are in a different category as they aren't "guaranteed hits", but they do provide "guaranteed area control". That is where their reliability comes from. If you are using a Mine on a Speeder, your other weapon better be somewhat reliable.

I probably should change the "guaranteed hit" to "reliable weapons." Mines are very reliable, just in a different way. Big Torp used to be and some are still using it effectively. Missiles are not. Railgun can be reliable, but unless you have Raven's T5 Epic, a Sniper is usually a better choice.

There are lots of players that are using off-meta setups effectively. I am one of them, as I don't run double Bubble on my Mk6 Enfo and I use a Swift Torp. It's my favorite weapon. I just hit NML today (yay), so it can still be used effectively, but I definitely would have hit it sooner with a Flare + Double Blast.

Just the whole thing. It shows him using the weapons well, but back then it was harder to hit Speeders and his Tesla Bolt was much stronger. That setup now won't work as well and a Speeder using those items would not fare well.

Fluid Bait likes this.
  13. Help I Cant Swim

Help I Cant Swim MVP

Players can use whatever they want and be effective, up to a certain point. Once you reach a level of similar competition, the player with the more meta setup generally wins. It's as simple as that. If that wasn't true, then there wouldn't be a "meta".

14. SupremeCalamitas

Don't forget grenade and ex/blast.

15. Help I Cant Swim

Help I Cant Swim MVP

Yea that is very effective. I do see more Flares on Speeders than Grenades, so I'd consider the Flare to be a bit more meta. But I also have a really hard time using a Grenade on a Speeder for some reason.

If I had my choice weapons on a Speeder.. I'd be running double Blast for sure. Benefit from everybody else's Flare/Fire Bomb and do 3k+ damage in an instant.

16. SupremeCalamitas

Yep. Fire weapons are better mid-late game due to burn talents and perks.

17. Blood Raven

Blood Raven Well-Known Member

Software Developer
    Depends on how you use.
    And as swim added, i primarily play shooter, along with the other boats when i feel like taking a break from the red boat.
    Also when i feel am too op with shooter :p (jk i suck)
    Here are a few battles from the past few hours to prove my point that i completely suck -
    IMG_20180414_005522.jpg
    IMG_20180414_005434.jpg
    IMG_20180414_005440.jpg
    IMG_20180414_005447.jpg
    IMG_20180414_005454.jpg
    IMG_20180414_005504.jpg
    IMG_20180414_005512.jpg
    Also two more from not the-past-few-hours, but special mentions to uneeq and dmg don -
    IMG_20180414_005548.jpg
    IMG_20180414_005558.jpg
    Right now i've left playing speeder (temporarily) since i scraped all my yellows. But there are quite a few rail-speeders now (than before, when only kidneystone was the one) and they are slowly moving up the charts. Some from our club, and some others who i noticed via friend requests such as this guy -
    IMG_20180414_005232.jpg
    Though railgun is not as effective as an aoe weapon like explosive (which yes fires full to critical damage at point blank too) on speeder, the art of railgunning from a yellow boat and leading shots with good precision can be very satisfying.
    Although, of course your railgun needs to be of a decent level to work out good.

18. Fluid Bait

You don't even look like an f2p anymore, lol.

19. FirnenAhead

FirnenAhead Well-Known Member

My first Leg was a Big Berta, I haven't used it yet but i'm currently building a Mortar Speeder and hell yeah it will work. I'm just worried about my rare Ballpark :|

Anyways let the people try their setups. If it doesn't work for them they will change sooner or later.

20. Stelmo

Stelmo Well-Known Member

Haha f2p? Certainly not if he never knew Pap.