1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

The Random Thoughts of the Community

Discussion in 'Offtopic' started by The Otherguy, 3 Sep 2017.

1. HAPPY SITHSHA

HAPPY SITHSHA Well-Known Member

Old me: Wut:p:D

Nikkie! likes this.
  2. The Otherguy

The Otherguy Well-Known Member

Tech support
    I feel like, as sad and messed up as it may be, BB has reached it's final stage. The stage where it will litterally take years of
    f2p grinding to get to NML. BB is a P2W, by concept and design, and there is no way around it. As more and more players get better and better gear, infamy becomes more and more gear based. We who "grew up" around global were lucky. We got to see BB at it's best. The way we wish it would be. Back then +3k was what a mk6 should have, now... If you have 2k regardless of gear you're doing pretty good. I remember back when I thought t3 rares where for between 1 and 2k, and t4 rares between 2 and 3k. Now you need t2 and 3 rares at a minimum to get to 1k. (unless you're a fixer)
    Gear inflation is to be expected, and the infamy value increase as well, it's just sad for the people who saw better days.

3. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

As someone from the old days, I relate to this. However, I'd like to say this too.

Infamy doesn't feel like it matters at all. I sit around at the Battle Bay Training School and I see it: Everyone is stagnating. And I mean everyone. It takes me a duel with a top-tier Nightmare to find out all that I've forgotten about dueling. When I write my articles, I'm challenging my memory, constantly, because there are far too few people who draw that much of my devious mind out. This speaks volumes for Battle Bay's skill level and caliber.

It's not just the game's fault that we have so many noobs in-game. You go out into the chat today, what do you see? Assorted salt, match comments, banter... Sure, cool. You know what we used to see, back in June-July-August 2017?

We used to see people discussing the latest builds, and how to do what. Take note, this was BEFORE custom battles for the most part. People were talking about using the waves, making the most out of their low speed and low mk ships. People were making YT videos, talking strategy in guilds, guilds which, by the way, had no guild quest functionality.

That has been lost to us. And it's not the game's fault. WE are all guilty, as a community, of letting strategy die. The top 50? They never EVER share what they do in battle, no-sir. Very rare to be able to peek into the mind of a top 50 player.

High skill gets to the endgame. It dies there.

I was teaching a student the other day about "keeping count" with the nitro, like, you know, keeping track of your opponent's fire rate so you can dodge shots? I didn't tell him directly, I 1v1ed him, not firing a single shot. He asked me what tactic I'd used to dodge. He's an Ace 3. I'm not laughing at him. There was a player in India's top 50 who taught me that trick. He was a pioneering double blast user back then. I was a Master 3 scrub. If I hadn't learned this, God knows I wouldn't be a shade of who I am now. Basic movesets are being lost before our very eyes, and we're letting it happen.

At this point, we should be asking ourselves where we went wrong. And I think the answer lies in all the stuff about progression, this stupid ratrace everyone runs in. Yeah, NML is important, cool. I eat NMLs for breakfast. I've never made NML. Yeah, gear matters, sure. I meet, greet and kill people with t3-t4 leggies regularly, and I made Ace 1 in a mk5 enforcer with t3-t4 rares. I'm capable of doing it again.

But you know what? It doesn't matter because I NEVER get a fair fight, to the point that I embrace 1v3s these days. People no longer surprise me. Everyone's the same. They put all their work into aim, and suck at any semblance of positioning and map awareness. It doesn't have to be this way. There's a LOT of us skilled players here, both on the forum and in-game. We could help, as a community.

I want EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOU GUYS at the forum to just try and reach out to ONE player a day. Help them. Teach them something they don't know. Try for once.

Also, to existing NMLs who think they're noobs who can't teach, two things. One, get some selfesteem. Two, you know much, MUCH more than you think. If you want better teammates, better rivals and enemies, TEACH.

I've tried to get as many of my tactics out as possible. P0rthos has been an inspiration of mine. I'm no P0rthos, but I'll be damned if I go down as a selfish player who never helped anyone.

Small actions go a long way, folks. Stuff you consider insignificant might well be a near-extinct strategy. Please. Share.

Okay, I agree this has been a rant. However, Random Thoughts of the Community, so...:D

4. HAPPY SITHSHA

HAPPY SITHSHA Well-Known Member

I agree with you. You know what? I'm seeing atleast 5 new players in the global chat everyday. So,can we assume this as "daily increasing player base for BB"?

BTW,it's a long essay with in-depth feelings.
    :oops::oops:;)

Last edited: 19 Nov 2018
  5. Nikkie!

Nikkie! Well-Known Member

Baaa, I’m a pig (I am out there!)
    XD
    No problem:D
    It was really difficult to find that much messages, I was busy almost my whole evening XD

TheAntiSnipe and Flint like this.
  6. Flint

Flint Well-Known Member

Hear Hear :)

7. Rogue Blueberry

Rogue Blueberry Well-Known Member

You know, this just happened to me a few hours ago.
    A NML shooter/speeder saw me in global and invited me to a custom.
    I 1v1d him/her, and after 1 battle, they said "Let's work on your aim"
    They switched to double nitro speeder and showed me first hand how to vs someone who knows how to take advantage of GCD.
    It was amazing.
    If you see me in Chill Zone, hit me up, the name's "Ow!"

Nikkie!, Sidd gamer and TheAntiSnipe like this.
  8. Flint

Flint Well-Known Member

xArrogance was like that here on the forum, giving a detailed report of how I could do better. I am sad he takes a step back.

Of course you did the same a while back, with you comments on some battles, which was much appreciated!

Regards,
    Flint

Last edited: 20 Nov 2018
  9. Rogue Blueberry

So I was playing selfish fixer for the event, and I come across this guy running flare+3 ExC (one of which was legy) and Big Torp, and he knew how to use them. He was my nighmare with that burst damage. I played 3 games with and against him, hating it more every time. Finally I was so sick of it, I shot him a friend request and fleetwd just so he was on my team XD
    (We dominated together)

Nikkie! and Sidd gamer like this.
  10. Agile Vanguard

Agile Vanguard Well-Known Member

Random Battle Bay player and tuber.
    I've read strategy guides by TheAntiSnipe and I tried to use them as much I could. But after a full 1 and a half years of playing,I still can't get out of Masters. I'm at 800 infamy now, and have been for the last 6 months. Can someone help me?

Nikkie! and Sidd gamer like this.
  11. KINGIVANOV

KINGIVANOV Well-Known Member

Teenager
    Hey, I’m at 1900 infamy. I’d be happy to teach you a few things about the yellow boats. What’s your player tag?

12. Agile Vanguard

Agile Vanguard Well-Known Member

Random Battle Bay player and tuber.
    LBJRGCYN

13. KINGIVANOV

KINGIVANOV Well-Known Member

Teenager
    SENT. But I can’t play right now. Maybe later.

14. Rogue Blueberry

I see the boat
    So smol and fas
    But when I comm
    He go rite pas

But now he hurt
    And all is betr
    He comm to me
    I heal da spedr

15. JoshW

JoshW Well-Known Member

*Cough cough* I wonder who that ace 3 could be?
    I'm sure you teach a lot of people so it may or may not have been me lol.

@Everyone:
    I'm not ashamed to admit that I am fairly ignorant to the majority of tactics out there and in fact I take pride that I have been able to make it as far as I have as a self taught player.
    Before taking up lessons from TheAntiSnipe I was 100% alone on the Bay. Everything I know I have learned through trial and error/ blood sweat and tears grinding.
    I hardly ever visit global chat because its just guild recruitment and random nonsense. Whenever I do happen to pop in I see posts like "jeez my teams suck" or "what's with all the noobs", even here on the forums I have been ridiculed for my 'lack of skill'.
    Everyone is quick to criticize but refuses to help others improve their own skills.
    If you want Battle Bay to be a better place do what you can to make it better!!

Everyone is capable of teaching even if it is the simplest of lessons. Just yesterday I custom battled a group of new players and taught them some of the basics.
    Yes, me!! Someone who just said they don't know much was still able to teach something to others.

So please, get off your high horses and do your part!

16. envylife

envylife Well-Known Member

You remember when Guild Quests were first introduced, and everyone was complaining about teammates running non-optimal loadouts? The boat with 5 Snipers, or the boat with 5 Torpedoes trying to complete their respective Guild Quest would cause a lot of issues in ranked matches. We've got used to it by now, but and then Events started, typically requiring a specific loadout to succeed, i.e., not as much experimentation is possible as the Ranked matches offer.

Both Guilds and Events were designed to improve progression, so it was a tradeoff, mostly positive, but definitely impacted Ranked matches, and thus Infamy. Prior to Guilds and Events, the goal was to progress the Infamy ladder. Now that we are at 6 out of 7 days of Events, rewardin only ship pieces for a ship that may be useful sometime in mid 2019, at this point Events no longer matter to me, and Ranked matches provide even less progression, so I'm struggling to find value in this game at this juncture.

That was the long way to answer your original point: why aren't we discussion battle strategies any longer? My answer: because that was applicable to the pure Battle Bay: the Ranked matches, which no one does any longer. I and many of my guildmates have dropped from Ace I into Ace II or II at this point, a 1000 Infamy drop, and no one cares. Our goals is simple: to complete guild quests, because that's the only source of progression left, but Infamy doesn't feed into Guild Quests. I no longer see discussions of CTF strategy, or 2x2 strategy, everyone is blindly grinding for no apparent end goal, and that's not the game I originally joined.

17. Nikkie!

Nikkie! Well-Known Member

Baaa, I’m a pig (I am out there!)
    You said twice Ace II, was that how you want it?
    C82DDC7A-C751-4BE8-8017-683EB71A8488.jpeg

18. TheAntiSnipe

I'd say it's more "lost their way" than "have no end goal". I found a better end goal than just NML. I'll learn every single ship in the game so that I can TEACH every single ship in the game. I did it because I felt the same, I'd lost sight of the player I wanted to be. It's been going really well so far, from my perspective.

What people have lost sight of is not the "need" for strategy, imo. What they've lost is much worse. They've lost the "will" to learn strategy. Because deep inside, they still know strats are a good way to improve performance.

Because events simply encourage spam, doesn't mean that strategy is no longer needed, it means that it is no longer visible in the chaos of battle. You die in Ranked, you die for good, and death has a much bigger impact on learning, in my experience till date. You review your death, which is not the case when, say, you're grinding for the guild, or you're about to respawn in 10 seconds :D

You're right in that events and guild quests have driven people off-center, but would you not agree that trying to show them what they're missing(in terms of the strategic standpoint of the game) will bring the life of the game(what you and I both came here for, the deep strategy hiding within an ostensible children's game)?

Nikkie!, Flint and Rogue Blueberry like this.
  19. TheAntiSnipe

It wasn't you, I taught you the newer approach to dodging. No, this dude was the first person I taught in the Training School's sessions. Also, I wanted to instruct today, but I only have like 60-70 MB of data left for today(downloaded Vainglory lmao).
    If you're curious, it was skv
    Oh, and PS: Good work, but make sure you teach only that which you KNOW you're a master at. It's a dangerous mistake I've made quite a few times, teaching people lessons they weren't ready for, or I wasn't ready to teach. Good luck! :)

Nikkie! and JoshW like this.
  20. envylife

envylife Well-Known Member

I meant Ace 2 and 3... so many former Ace I players in the low 2000's, players that were in Ace I for many months. This normally happens after NML Reset, but without that 1 solid week of Ranked matches to get Infamy settled back down, the opportunity is lost. More importantly with Infamy playing no role in Events, no one actually cares because Battle Bay is now a game of Captain Level and Gear Score, which leans toward P2W.

Nikkie! likes this.