1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

The Economics of Infamy

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by BITTERSTEEL, 15 Aug 2017.

1. disorder

disorder Active Member

Here a pure example ot the problem with my reroll 900 hp here.
    I Ve made 5k fight with my main so my rank is not really fair even if i m f2p with indabrain but fuck how new player took pleasure at game ? Screenshot_20170811-153759.png

2. BITTERSTEEL

BITTERSTEEL Well-Known Member

You're right when you say it's hard on new players now, especially with the new shop system. In the old shop system, perks were more frequent, and you could spend your stars on rare and epic boxes as well. Also, weekly quests gave you epics, and weekly calendar rewards alternated between a free rare and a free epic. Infamy breakthrough rewards were better too; you got a free rare when you hit 1k and 2k, and a free epic when you hit 3k and 4k.

I'm glad you're taking time to challenge the matchmaking theories of this game, and I do hope the devs read this thread. Again, my posts are more observational than a criticism or a praise of the infamy system.

No, you only fight bots in your first few games (I think you stop once you hit 100 infamy). If it was until level 5, there would be nothing stopping me from exploiting the game by not training crew, and slaughtering bots until I make it to #1 in global. Besides I wasn't seeing any animal names (but I was seeing mk5's shockingly).

3. H.A.D.E.S

H.A.D.E.S Well-Known Member

Something is going wrong with the infamy system since 3 weeks as I am getting more than 2 mk5 ships against me while my team gets only 1mk5 or all mk4 ships.
    As I am stuck at 1400-1600 range while doing damage of 4-10k and being on top.
    I am loosing more infamy than gaining it....Even my friends who play well are also stuck at 1400-1600 infamy.
    There are more noobs than good players in this infamy range.

CrazyFixer likes this.
  4. CheekyDevilGod

CheekyDevilGod Well-Known Member

Thanks, I'm totally ok with how matchmaking is done or the infamy system, the only thing that bothers me is the infamy reset at 4k, I believe that is what is screwing up the game for all of us.

I'm completely ok with having to fight mk5s at my level, if they are matched with me or against me it's cause they have lame gear or lame skills and I know that it's balanced.

I can win against teams with mk5s as long as my teammates don't give up at the start, and so can my peers.

But we can't expect the same from the newbies though, they'll play for 2 weeks and then uninstall if it is as hard as they say it is. And new players are very important for the game to stay alive and progress and I love the game so I want it to stay alive.

The game will not sustain if it depends purely on wallet warriors who have it easier and if we don't get a sustained new players population then the player base keeps crumbling and then rovio might dump it which is a shame.

5. Tripple Moon

Tripple Moon Member

Private info
    Reading reading no end blablabla ugh!

So the infamy at top is reset to avoid long waiting times for the top players?
    Very nice to lower THEIR impatience by increasing the aggrevation of the lower players, wow just wow bravo on the einstein that thought about that....

The real FLAW in the matchmaking system as it is now is the FACT that it rates INDIVIDUALS based on the efforts of an entire TEAM of 10 players.
    That's like comparing apples with oranges, it's just plain WRONG!

Last edited: 16 Aug 2017
  6. Zeus

Zeus Developer

QA Lead
    Can you name a team based game where you are rated as an individual only?

BITTERSTEEL likes this.
  7. Tripple Moon

Tripple Moon Member

Private info
    Ever heard of footbal, rugby, etc etc? Are those players rated for their individual or their team's efforts?
    If they were rated according to their team's efforts they would not be transferred for so much money...

8. Zeus

Zeus Developer

QA Lead
    And yet, your whole team loses or your whole team wins.

9. Zeus

Zeus Developer

QA Lead
    If you are a better player than your infamy average, you'll carry more games and gain more infamy than others until you reach an infamy where you are performing at the average.

10. Tripple Moon

Tripple Moon Member

Private info
    Zeus....ugh wakeup !
    We are discussing the SYSTEM that rates PLAYERS, we are not discussing how players can perform POWERLEVELING....
    Carrying a team IS powerleveling, which is frowned upon in normal games, yet it is build-into this game...

Besides your average has neglative effects on the outcome of a match, because your playing skills are only 1/10 of the whole equation.

11. Zeus

Zeus Developer

QA Lead
    Carrying your team by being a better player than your current infamy is not power leveling at all. Everyone has great games where they carry, some more than others.

Seal clubbing however is not tolerated, but that's not what the topic was about.

12. Tripple Moon

Tripple Moon Member

Private info
    Uhmmm okay...let me try to use logic to reset your train of thoughts then...
    Can you tell me how to carry a whole team WITHOUT being a seal clubber? o_O

13. Zeus

Zeus Developer

QA Lead
    You should ask better players than me, such as bittersteel, orpheus, dmg don, christmas etc. who regularly carry their teams to victory at the highest level of play.

BITTERSTEEL likes this.
  14. Tripple Moon

Tripple Moon Member

Private info
    So you admit they are seal clubbing to "carry" their teams, at the same time you say it is not tolerated, yet you do nothing to them because it is in the interest of the company to mentally try to manupulate players into spending cash for better gears to get revenge on them?
    hmmmm nice what can i say..../me applouds!

15. Miathan

Miathan Well-Known Member

I see people carrying a match (as in, doing by far the most damage / contribution / kills) every day. This is a normal thing that happens every now and then.

Eh, do you even know what seal clubbing is?

BITTERSTEEL likes this.
  16. Zeus

Zeus Developer

QA Lead
    I'm not sure you understand what seal clubbing means.

Seal clubbing is when a player intentionally drops their infamy to be matched against lower level players that they can steamroll with superior progress. None of the higher level players engage in this, and doing this will quickly get you banned.

17. Tripple Moon

Tripple Moon Member

Private info
    Let me explain what "seal clubbing" means imho then...
    What is the essence of this act in it's true form in reality: Beating an animal to dead who is unable to defend itself against the aggressor.

So when is a player able to do exactly that in a game like this?
    When it has considerably more power right? (be it player skills or equipment, though equipment counts like 80%)
    In fact so much more power that it flips the power balance of the teams dramatically in favor of said players team.

(It is actually mathematically very easy to spot these, by comparing the total contribution of said player to that of the other team members)

Everyone knows that this is happening as a "normal" thing in game right now, that doesn't mean it is correct in terms of matchmaking.
    A correct matchmaking would have matched players that would have performed about equally.
    (Yet that is impossible in a system that rates individuals according to team efforts)

Then how would saıd players be able to "carry" their team if they had not been artificially dropped into that team? (be it by own choice or faulty system)
    Besides take note of the fact that a player "carrying" a team equally means unfairly disturbing the score of the opposing team, which effect spirals down way to the fresh players coming into the game.

Take as example my siggy before i leave the words to you guys again....
    My season's high is at moment 576, yet yesterday i was forced down to under 170 due to the performance of the team mates i was matched together with...
    I have risen again ofcourse, slow but still, while doing that i was performing unintentional seal clubbing against my own will.

Last edited: 16 Aug 2017
  18. Zeus

Zeus Developer

QA Lead
    If you don't understand it by now, i'm not sure i can explain it to you. Every player has better and worse games. If you hit all your shots in one game, or take out the enemy fixer and a few more ships singelhandedly etc. you can easily carry your team. This can happen at your average infamy, just as you having a bad game is. Some players are simply consistent in the way they carry, and hence can rise to the highest ranks of infamy.

Miathan likes this.
  19. Tripple Moon

Tripple Moon Member

Private info
    Zeus the player base is well aware that you disagree with the system being faulthy, but if you're so confident about it then create an ingame poll asking your player base's opinion, afterwards reevaluate your opinion... ;)

BTW: Another indication of seal clubbing happening in a match is the duration of the match, unbalanced matches end very fast....

edit: Please re-read my post you quoted as i have been editing it some

20. Miathan

Miathan Well-Known Member

then explain to me how I'm at 3500 infamy with tier 3 rares