1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Strange shipmovements

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Radar O Reilly, 1 Aug 2017.

1. Radar O Reilly

Radar O Reilly Active Member

What is going on to make ships move sideways and zip around in unnatural movements or speed during battle. Sometimes ships move so blazing fast I think it is a bug.

Once in a while I'm moving along and all of a sudden my ships suddenly jumps to a new location and my camera goes bonkers for a sec and then I'm back to normal. Almost like for some number of seconds my controlling my the boat is lost. Maybe my network was dropping packets and all my actions were not transmitted. Then my ipad resynchronizes with the state of the battle match and resets my boat's position.
    I'm a programmer (or used to be) so I get how this might be happening and what I said above probably makes no sense to those that don't understand networks and state synchronization. I think this game is operates as a distributed state system with 10 players all tracking the state of the game and if anyone has intermittent connectivity it might result in bizarre boat behavior.

Excism and Flying Bananasaur like this.
  2. Flying Bananasaur

Flying Bananasaur Active Member

That's about it!

3. Excism

Excism Well-Known Member

Nah you basically got it. I'm not a programmer or anything but I perfectly understood what you said.

4. Shooter@Bay

Shooter@Bay Active Member

I get this when my network signal is poor and I don't have enough bandwidth. But I think 512 kbps or 1 Mbps connection is more than sufficient to play this game.
    Get a better ISP, and this would solve.

Captain Gilligan likes this.
  5. Radar O Reilly

Its rare. its one boat that is crazy. I think it might be when the other player has network IO issues.

it is very rare my boat suddenly resets its position. It happens once in a while. I have no doubt it is my ISP / the Internet is dropping packets. Or my wireless router had a brief seizure.

No network is every going to be perfect all the time. I think the game uses UDP for performance. One of the risk of UDP is dropped packets. UDP does not grantee packets they way TCP.IP does but makes the game playable. I am simply amazed we can play this game with this kind of responsiveness and do it globally. I am impressed.

6. Biffter

Biffter Active Member

I'm with Excism.. I'm no programmer and don't understand all the jargon..but yeah.. I think you got it right.
    I guess it's the same or similar problem I sometimes get playing Battlefield with rubber banding?
    I've never experienced my boat zipping about.. although I have seen an enemy player do it maybe only 2 or 3 times.
    Does anyone else check their ping on the main screen before play?..or is it just me?:D
    It varies between 180-210.

Happy Battling.

7. Excism

Excism Well-Known Member

My ping is between 50-100. Right now it's 87 for me

8. Shooter@Bay

Shooter@Bay Active Member

I've not seen other boat's vanishing or zipping. When the other players have network issues, there boat remains still at the same place(the last place when there was an internet connection) , and we can enjoy attacking it.

You see your boat displaced a little, as you get reset to the same place, where there was internet connection available with you.

Same here. Great work Rovio. It's error free, and so much responsive.

9. Radar O Reilly

Interesting. I didn't know it was in the menu. I'm pinging around 90 to 100ms. Not great but also not so bad for a home ISP connection. Great would be 20 to 40ms. I would love to put up a ping monitor on my PC to watch ping over time during a game just for grins and giggles to see if it stays in a nice tight range such as 90-100 or if there are periods of drop out (ping failures). I don't think Rovio woudl want to publish their IP addresses but I'm gonna look at my router logs and see if it captures destination IPs. Each time you log into the game it will change depending on to the server you connect. And, this assumes the server is the single point that determines game play. I assume communication is many to many. That is, each player is sending UDP packets to all other players and the server is just observing and is the source of truth for the state of the game. If a player goes out of sync they get the game state from the server. I am just guessing. Does anyone know?

10. Biffter

Biffter Active Member

50-100??..geez.. I'm sitting 5ft away from router.. I knew Virgin was lousy:(

11. Excism

Excism Well-Known Member

IMG_1325.PNG
    You do mean the ping there right? If so, I use Comcast lol

12. Radar O Reilly

the distance from your router is a very small part of latency. Latency is a measurement of time. Time to to send packets to your router wirelessly which should be very quick as in less than 1ms then time to go from the wireless router to a cable modem or DSL modem, the the time to get to your service provide, Virgin, then for the time it takes Virgin to send the packet to its peering relationship to an Internet carrier, time across the internet carrier to the ISP for Rovio, across Rovio's ISP to a data center and through the internet access equipment and then finally across Rovio's or some cloud provider's local area network to its server and then all the way back to you again across all that stuff. Frankly, I still find it amazing I can send something there and back in less than 1/10th of a second.

Pulse Hadron likes this.
  13. Biffter

Biffter Active Member

Yep..clearly I'm no expert..but I got the gist of what you're saying. I've looked up ways of improving the speed cos of the problems I had playing Battlefield. My real main point is Virgin is lousy..no matter how fast they say their speed is.
    But like I said..I've only seen weird ship movement only 2-3 times..always enemy ship. Other than that it's fine.

Last edited: 3 Aug 2017
  14. Biffter

Biffter Active Member

Yup..what's comcast?

15. Excism

Excism Well-Known Member

Internet provider...?

16. Biffter

Biffter Active Member

Gotcha..never heard of it here in England.

17. Excism

Excism Well-Known Member

Oh yea it's different there obv. I'm in US