1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Steep fall in infamy

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Shadow Moon!, 1 Mar 2018.

Tags:
  1. YerJokinArnYer

YerJokinArnYer MVP

I believe that things would get worse for him if he upgrades to Mk6 as the matchmaking system will match him with more Mk6’s than before, and these typically have better weapons than the equivalent (in infamy terms) Mk5.
    But I do share the advice, please don’t give up. Take a few days away from the game to relax if needed. I hope you manage to get that infamy back.

PastelPiku likes this.
  2. Kalbs

Kalbs Well-Known Member

The thing is, in NML, Shooters never had the same impact the Speeders have before the nerf. Speeders were ridiculous back then.

Double TS Enforcer has been popular before. Then they nerfed it. It just got popular again because of Speeders switching to Enforcers.

This line should be coming from Defender user. They have long suffered as target practice.

PastelPiku likes this.
  3. Spinners71

Spinners71 Well-Known Member

There are actually two (not one) important factors:
    - To your point, new players winning against Bots adds to the Infamy economy.
    - But we must also consider that Nightmare players having their Infamy "reset" to 4000 every two weeks subtracts from that same Infamy economy.

(For more details on the effects of season resets, see the following thread:
    https://forum.battlebay.net/threads/how-can-new-players-enjoy-this-game.17406/page-3#post-108884)

And my assumption is that these two factors are in balance.
    Meaning they largely cancel each other out.
    Meaning, the Infamy gains from bot-stomping = the Infamy losses from season resets.
    (However, I have no evidence for that, it's just an assumption I made by not mentioning them to Vis.)

So, if they aren't in balance, then any player improving their gear and skill at an average rate will see their Infamy rise or fall accordingly.

But neither one of us knows whether those factors are in or out of balance, nor to what degree.

But back to Vis's post, and why I responded at all despite this lack of evidence...

My entire point in responding was to encourage him to re-frame his thinking.

Just because his gear is getting better, there are other factors at play:
    - Is his rate of gear/skill improvement different than those around him?
    - Is he playing enough games to even allow himself the chance to rise above the randomness-noise to where he "should be"?
    - Is the Infamy economy in balance, or is it helping or hurting him in some other way?

Hopefully, once he realizes that even if his gear is improving, there are other factors that could logically explain why he hasn't seen the rise in Infamy he was expecting.
    I guess, with that knowledge, if he can re-frame, then he's supposed to feel better.
    That was my hope anyway.

Last edited: 19 Mar 2018
  4. YerJokinArnYer

YerJokinArnYer MVP

Whilst we may disagree about the logic, I think the most important sentence is about encouraging the OP. I am completely 100% in agreement with you on that.
    Infamy growth is not a straight line, it is a widely fluctuating line which can often become plateau then suddenly increase.
    Also, gaining infamy is not our reason for playing the game, we play to have fun and we should never lose sight of that.

PastelPiku and Spinners71 like this.
  5. Shadow Moon!

Shadow Moon! Well-Known Member

Exactly and losing continuously is not fun. I am not demanding that I should win all the time but see my matches played and matches won, I was 44 ahead from being at 50% win rate. The moment I was back peddling my win rate went down to 48% and now settled at 50.
    I never understood this adjustment of wins and the ratio all together.

PastelPiku likes this.
  6. ViscountSniffit

ViscountSniffit Well-Known Member

The reason that statement it BS, is because any ‘SMART’ or ‘GOOD’ play that you can make with the new Tesla Bolt, you could also make with the old Tesla Bolt... and more. So your best just got objectivly worse.

I wasn’t “running around mindlessly”, I was already a smart player, pushing my boat as hard as I could (made it into the U.K. top 100).

Having my main weapon and my main defensive item nerfed such a huge amount, completely pulled the rug from under my feet.

If you’re a sucky player with loads of headroom to improve, then whatever, but if you were already playing your best, and then overnight your best gets toned down, then you’re going to lose infamy, and start to backslide.

That in and of itself is frustrating enough to quit over, but when you combine it with rewards getting taken away, it’s really just pointless to continue.

I might have ‘eventually’ been able to replace my ExCannon with something more workable (though options are severely limited for alternative weapons). but there is no alternative at all for Tesla Bolt. Frost Blaster sucks since it was over-nerfed, Tesla Shield doesn’t fit properly on the mk5. The only viable alternative is double Nitro, and that’s barely any improvement.

Frankly, the best option for mk5 speeders right now, might just be to ditch Tesla Bolt and replace it with nothing (at least then you’d get the benafit of larger buttons). That’s how pitiful the state of yellow items has become.

7. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

Never believed I'd say this, but I agree LOL. Stun is pretty bad tbh right now. If not for the three epic perks I have on my bolt, I'd be seriously considering scrapping it for good.

Still got my first penta tho, never thought I would...
    https://replay.battlebay.net/VFVHZKRB#SHRNBCQR

8. Spinners71

Whether the changes were justified or not... (debatable)
    Whether the changes were properly scaled or not...(debatable)
    Whether the changes were fair or not...(debatable)
    ...Items get re-balanced from time to time.

And these moments affect different players to different degrees.

This round seems to have particularly affected you because:
    - The changes were to 2 of the most important items in your setup
    - The changes weren't small
    - You weren't sufficiently prepared to employ alternative items in your setup

To me, the question seems less about justification, properly scaled changes, or fairness, because those are all debatable, and unlikely to change much soon.
    The question is more -- what should you do about all this?

If you're close to mk6, that will help mitigate the yellow-slot issues.
    And then, I hope you are able to develop fun alternative ships and/or items into a new setup you can use well.

PastelPiku likes this.
  9. Spinners71

Having your win% settle at 50% is a good thing.
    So when you say "losing continuously is not fun", I'm confused by what you mean -- because you aren't losing continuously. You're losing 50% of the time. Which, again, is a good thing.

Assuming you've climbed to the rank you should be at, and then plateaud off...
    And then assuming the matchmaking algorithm puts a bunch of relatively-comparable players together into a match...
    What win% would you expect to see? 50% right?

PastelPiku likes this.
  10. Da Carronade King

Da Carronade King Well-Known Member

Seducer
    U would expect that if someone like me goes from a tier 3 rare Big Bertha on their speeder (no frost) to a legendary carronade but never gained infamy.

PastelPiku likes this.
  11. Shadow Moon!

Losing 15 in a row is how close to 50%?
    Dropping 1300 infamy certainly means I wasn't close to 50%.

PastelPiku likes this.
  12. Kalbs

Kalbs Well-Known Member

Well it looks like there's no changing your outlook in this matter.

Enjoy the steep fall in infamy :p

I kinda like this nerf, filters out the lesser skilled players. :D

PastelPiku likes this.
  13. Crashedup

Crashedup Well-Known Member

Post ur setup your highest infamy and some replays

14. PastelPiku

PastelPiku Well-Known Member

Security
    Those numbers look more thought out than mine lol. I won't even bother linking my thread, you nailed it and also posted this earlier than I posted it (just didn't see this lol).

15. PastelPiku

Security
    lol those look a lot like my numbers

16. Spinners71

Imagine if I told you the average roll of a die = 3.5
    And then imagine someone said "OMG I rolled a 1, 2, or 3 15 times in a row! Therefore you must be wrong! The average roll isn't 3.5!"
    We both know that person is making a silly argument, but that's basically what you just said.

Assuming you're up over 1000 games played, then you should know that losing 15 games in a row is not statistically relevant.

But losing 15 games in a row is also not -1300 infamy.
    Losing 1300 infamy tells me something else is going on...

If you're losing that much it must be one of two things:
    1. Somehow you managed to gain a much higher Infamy ranking than you should have (super lucky streak where you got carried over and over and over)
    2. Or your game-play has changed and you're really not as effective as you once were.

Are you using sub-optimal setups (i.e. weaker ships/gear) for some reason (like guild quests)?
    Are you using strong but different items that you're just not as practiced and comfortable with yet?
    Are you now fleeting with people vastly below your Infamy?
    Are you prone to playing "on tilt", which would perpetuate losing streaks longer than usual?
    Are you playing enough games each week to fight back up after the bi-weekly reset affects you (note: you don't have to be Nightmare for it to still affect you)?

Kalbs and PastelPiku like this.
  17. Shadow Moon!

I never play on tilt and I never play when I am angry, hungry, thirsty.
    What was I saying earlier it that this game forces you to be at 50% even if you are doing better than average people.
    You can achieve that only by spending not without anything else.

PastelPiku likes this.
  18. PastelPiku

Security
    HEhehe I do all of those things, I just play whenever. That's probably why I fluctuate between 2200 and 2800

19. Shadow Moon!

And I never got too much infamy in 1 go I have gaining infamy slow and steady. I never pushed too hard too. I have been in 3-3.3k for 2 months.
    Built flare blast cracked 3.5k before update.
    Was doing all good at 3700 suddenly started losing every match. I play in short spells 3 4 at a time.

PastelPiku likes this.
  20. Spinners71

Ah, okay, that's now I read your post at all - but I get it.

Anyway, can we all agree to make the following language change:

Instead of saying something like "This game forces you to be at 50%..."
    It would be more accurate to say "This game allows you to be at 50%..."

It's not good when someone is perpetually under-ranked and wins all their games...
    It's not good when someone is perpetually over-ranked and loses all their games...

Matchmaking helps you find your appropriate rank, so your games are "fair" and so you (and everyone else who is properly ranked) can win a "fair" (50%) amount.

PastelPiku likes this.