1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Speeder doing job, but dying too quickly.

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by SupremeCalamitas, 8 Apr 2018.

1. SupremeCalamitas

SupremeCalamitas Well-Known Member

I don't think it's your business
  2. FearsomeChicken

FearsomeChicken Well-Known Member

You're trying to hit them from behind, like 3vs1. Don't do that, its suicide most times. Speed around the battlefield, look for weaknesses in the enemy lines, try to flank and create a 2v1 situation where you help a teamate who has already engaged an enemy. Try to always have nitro on the ready after you've fired your shots, use it right before the enemy turns his turret to lock on you. You could also do better without the cannon, try using a flare blast combo, as the regular cannon has low dps for your speeder who is supposed to hit and run.

Kalbs, #CK and Ian like this.
  3. SupremeCalamitas

I don't have bhure lvl 15 yet for the flare and blast combo, and I've already gotten my cannon and EX to T3. I don't wanna scrap them.

4. SupremeCalamitas

But Thx anyway :);):D

5. Snapshot

Snapshot Well-Known Member

Heh... classic mistake.... one I make all too often although I'm getting better at it..

Yes, you were taking a sneaky route but it didn't work. BOTH enemy speeders and one of their shooters we re waiting for you when you came around the last corner. What I do as I'm doing my sneaking is to watch around my boat for those little red triangles. They tell me if I've spotted an enemy (or if an enemy has spotted me). If I see one, I know my run has failed. In your case, they didn't see you going in. What I think happened is one of the enemy speeders just happened to be facing right towards you. When he shot you, that got the attention of the other speeder and the shooter. It was luck of the draw.

BUT... you did make two serious mistakes.

A) You burned your nitro and overboost to get there a bit quicker on that last leg. That's a bad move. You NEED them to dodge once you're there and/or flee. I don't generally pop them on the way in unless there's some real urgency.

B) The moment that first speeder shot you was your notification that your sneakiness failed but you didn't heed it. I would've continued right on behind the wall. You can bet that both speeders would've followed you so I'd have looped around the far end of the wall and driven all the way along the edge of the map back to behind my team. It's a long trip but you had 3 enemy boats on you... two of them speeders. They were not going to let go easily.

It didn't help you any that the enemy M4 speeder had you outclassed with a gear score of 3965 compared to your 2347. But it's best to focus on the things you could've done to retrieve the situation.

TheAntiSnipe likes this.
  6. FearsomeChicken

FearsomeChicken Well-Known Member

No problem, another thing is you should replace your rudder with a standard shield, it will give you much more survivability, enough time to nitro back to your fixer to heal.

7. SupremeCalamitas

K Thx. Will Take this into consideration.

8. SupremeCalamitas

9. Snapshot

MUCH better. Unbridled aggression is a good thing in a speeder but it needs to happen at the right time. In that second replay were you much more coy after they spotted you. I'm learning to do the same thing just at much higher infamies. I'm facing boats that reliably have legendaries now... sometimes more than one legendary on a single boat. So I watched some of @TheAntiSnipe 's videos and decided I wasn't being coy enough while I was "waiting for my moment". I'm doing a lot more "popping out from behind some obstruction and taking a shot or two then scooting back into hiding" nowadays. The other thing I've learned is that it is stupid of me to stay in enemy sights when my own weapons are recycling. For crying out loud Snapple! When you can't fire anything at them anyway then don't just float around being a target! :)

I try to remind myself that when I spot an enemy speeder flanking my team that becomes a TOP PRIORITY. So the other team is probably going to do the same thing. I try to track in my head who's seen me and how long it's going to take them to react.

Here's one rule I have as iron clad. If I swoop in to the enemy team and make a kill then it is 100% certain that they noticed that. After every kill my automatic reaction is to flee far and fast. Note that it doesn't count as fleeing if you just duck around a handy rock. I've learned the enemy team aren't all idiots :) Sometimes I'll abort that fleeting depending on what's going on but "Kill then get out of dodge" is a rule that has served me well.

TheAntiSnipe likes this.
  10. Snapshot

Worth noting that I'm petitioning @TheAntiSnipe to make some more "Great places to lurk" videos. He did one he called "Rapelling and flanking" that was great for the foundry. I'd love to see more of them.

TheAntiSnipe likes this.
  11. SupremeCalamitas

Snapshot and Cavalier like this.
  12. Snapshot

Yup. There was a moment right at the 4 minute mark when I probably would've gone after that shooter a bit more aggressively then gone around the wall to take the other guys from behind. But I wasn't driving and my calculations might be skewed by having a fast boat than yours. All in all, that's much better.

Here's another thing that helps me. I started thinking of myself as "the knife in the back". I was an assasin not a slugger. I needed to swoop in from behind and kill rather than get into shooting exchanges. So all the time I haven't found a way in yet I'm trying to be really cautious in those shooting exchanges. I've learned it's better for me to drive around for 90 seconds looking for my opening than it is to die in the first 30 seconds :)

Just as another maybe helpful tidbit. I've learned that an existing 1v1 is my #1 most useful place to be. So just as I'm driving around my eyes are sort of scanning the name tags that float by and if there's ever a red and green name right next to each other it gets my attention. Given the speed of my boat I can get there pretty quickly no matter where they are so I'll abandon whatever I'm doing and instead go help my team mate finish that brawl promptly.

13. ViscountSniffit

ViscountSniffit Well-Known Member

Trying to sneak around the back like that probably isn’t the best strategy on Sub Zero. It’s quite open back there, so even if you get across without being seen, it’s difficult to ‘surprise’ anyone.

If you’re feeling ballsy, try something like this...
    FA5B6D6F-B0CE-48A0-A5B1-13826D843381.jpeg
    Race across the middle as early as possible (green line), and hug the s*** out of that far wall. From there you can lock down the centre archway (yellow triangle), which stops the unfriends advancing. You can also supply vision for your teammates to mortar them. Anyone who does push out will quickly get caught in the crossfire.

Keep an eye out for ships coming out the tunnel behind you (works best when the unfriends don’t have a Speeder).

If things start to get hairy, then you can fall back to better cover, either behind the mini island, or into the tunnel (red lines). I recommend you keep your boat pointed that way at all times, so you can Nitro away quickly if things go bad.

I have a video where you can ‘sort of’ see what I mean. Unfortunately, it doesn’t actually work in this game, because a shooter comes out of the tunnel behind me, so I’m forced to deal with him instead. But you get the idea.

Snapshot and #CK like this.
  14. Snapshot

Awesome map strategy advice Viscount! Thanks!

In addition let me say that your 1v1 with that first shooter was a thing of beauty :)

For the dual nitro speeders out there, the only thing I'd mention is that the tunnel dogfight worked well for Vicscount with is tesla bolt. With dual nitro's it's just a death trap for that big torp. So the exact same strategy would work but I'd stay out of the tunnel while I was finishing the shooter.

TheAntiSnipe and ViscountSniffit like this.