1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Pixel 2 XL -- right-thumb responsiveness problems

Discussion in 'Bugs, Issues & Inquiries' started by Spinners71, 21 Mar 2018.

1. Spinners71

Spinners71 Well-Known Member

These may sound like weird issues, but hopefully someone can help me...

I got my Pixel 2 XL like 3-4 months ago (yes, I know I should have reported this back then... look, I don't go to doctors either okay?!) ;)

So, anyway, when I'm playing, I've got my left-thumb on the screen to steer the ship... and I've got my right-thumb on the screen to aim and fire...

Issue #1 - Communication Buttons
    This is the easy, straightforward issue.
    If my left-thumb is touching the screen (which is basically always), my right thumb cannot trigger the communication buttons (in the lower-right corner of the screen).
    I literally have to let go with my left thumb, and then I can push those buttons.
    I can reproduce this issue 100% of the time I try. I log into a battle, start steering, try to communicate, can't, then let go with both thumbs, then I can communicate.

Issue #2 - Looking/Aiming
    This is the weird, "wtf" issue.
    If my left-thumb is touching the screen (again, basically always), sometimes I can look and aim with my right thumb exactly as I did with my old phone. Swipe left, it looks/aims left. Swipe right, it looks/aims right.
    But sometimes, I get this weird behavior where when I swipe left, it looks/aims right, or I'll swipe right, and it looks/aims left! SUPER WEIRD RIGHT?!
    Well, it's about to get weirder...
    The other manifestation of this bug is where my right thumb is on the fire button, but I'm slowly sliding left or right to carefully aim (imagine lining up a torpedo to thread between two obstacles)...
    As I'm slowly sliding my thumb while holding down the fire button, all of a sudden the screen will quiver back and forth, like someone plucked the image like a guitar string.
    It's like the phone can't figure out whether my thumb is where I started holding it down, or where I have since dragged it, and every 0.01 seconds it flips back and forth between the two options.
    When that happens, I can't see because everything is shaking... and I can't aim... and so I have to cancel the shot by releasing and tapping with my left-thumb, which means I'm not moving anymore, which means I'm probably getting hit with death...
    Anyway, sadly, neither of these are perfectly reproducible. Some games are perfectly clean where this never happens. Other games, I can barely get through the match without this happening many many times.
    I have lost matches due to this issue - and if someone watched the replay they'd be like "why doesn't he finish the guy off?! he's right there!" well... all I can say is... trust me, I'm trying...
    So, throwing out some wild guesses...
    - Does it have anything to do with screen temperature? If I play for a while, the left side of the screen gets warmer because my left thumb slides around way more than my right thumb... If the right side of the screen is cooler, could that somehow make it less responsive, or prone to confusion about where my thumb is?
    - Does it have anything to do with moisture? My left thumb smears around the screen all night, and while I don't get sweaty hands or anything, there's still oils in my fingers... Could somehow my right thumb have worse responsiveness and tracking because it's moisture level is lower than my left thumb?
    Hopefully it's neither of these things, because there would be very little I could do about it...
    Hopefully it's something that Rovio (or Google Pixel) can fix now that they're aware of it...

If there is anything I can clarify or answer to help investigate this issue, please ask.

2. AVID

AVID Well-Known Member

SCREEN SHOTS PLZ.....

aiming issue....happens to all...they nerfed the target log aiming....but they r not accepting....now its good for mortors and other range weapons....but cannot play with cannon , snipper ex.can, blast etc....

3. Ash KOT

Ash KOT MVP

Twice on sub zero I have had a graphics issue, where a small bunch of pixels (50 x 50 at a guess) started shaking violently.
    It only lasted half a second and I initially thought I imagined it but I saw it again last night, im using a Galaxy S7 edge.

Never had any issues with my controls not responsing, and I can communicate and steer, thats got to be a nightmare to work with.
    You could try and use sticky throttle, so if you release your finger to communicate then the ship will keep going.

4. Neu

Neu Member

Did you use screen protector?

5. Pratik

Pratik Member

do u get any incentives or rewards for being mvp

6. Spinners71

Good question, but no.

7. Spinners71

@AVID it's not an aiming issue. It's a looking issue. Imagine trying to look at something 90 degrees to the left, you drag your right-thumb to the left quite a bit. Well, instead of your camera turning left, it turns right by a full 90 degrees instead! It's a complete X-reversal, and it's really weird.

@Ash KOT ... and then the other way this bug manifests is when I'm on the firing button trying to aim a shot a little left or a little right, where the entire screen wiggles, and continues wiggling basically for as long as I have both thumbs touching. To get it to stop, I have to let go of BOTH thumbs, give it 1-2 seconds, then try again. Incredibly weird.

I really should try to grab a quick video that shows this happening...

8. Neu

Neu Member

Then, did you use any screen recorder in your phone?

I do had almost similar issue as you. so I could understand a bit of your problem. I played quite long, handicapped. Trial and error many stuff on my new phone. Then recently I uninstall screen recorder apps on my phone, surprisingly it work a bit. At least I'm no longer got stuck unable to use command and lock button when I needed.

9. Spinners71

No I don't have any screen recorder installed, at least not that I know of...

10. Tirth2_

Tirth2_ Well-Known Member

I too have a phone with 6-inch display with 18:9 aspect ratio and the game works fine for me, must be some issue with screen or OS.

11. fr4nk1yn

fr4nk1yn Well-Known Member

Turn it over so the volume buttons are down. Then the left corner becomes the unresponsive bit but it's much more manageable.

12. Spinners71

If I captured an .mp4 showing this, how do I post it?