1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Performance-based infamy rewards for losing game.

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by MGEV, 26 Oct 2018.

1. MGEV

MGEV Member

Battle Bay has some major issues that we all know: the questionable matchmaking and the complex mix of bad players (floating, camping, infamy tanking, suicide, using strange combo or just plain dumb and stupid ... you name it). I think it's very unfair and unjust for everyone in the losing team to be penalized equally as in losing the same amount of infamy. There are players who obviously do well but they cannot carry the team to a win. And the loss in infamy can lead to the infamy tanking penalty which further punish players who do try and work hard but lose anyway.

So I suggest that for the losing team, the #1 performer will neither gain nor lose infamy; #2 will lose 3, #3 will lose 6, #4 will lose 12, #5 will lose 24; or if you have a better ideas.
    For the winning team, a player that has 0 damage and 0 healing should not gain any infamy either; he either float, suicide or miss all his shots, whatever reason, he don't deserve the infamy gain.

Thank you for reading.

Last edited: 26 Oct 2018
    Tmfh67401 likes this.
  2. Senniji

Senniji New Member

I approve, especially when you lose a game with an AFK. It is shameful to lose the maximum of infamy.

3. JoshW

JoshW Well-Known Member

It's a good idea in theory but lower damage ships, defender and speeder would gain infamy much slower than high damage ships like shooter. This would result in overpopulation of shooters in higher leagues.
    Now this isn't always the case and there are successful speeders and such who can routinely out damage shooters but it requires a hell of a lot more skill.
    This best idea I have seen is to base infamy gain/loss on your performance against your personal average damage. The problem with this is that it can be easily manipulated to tank infamy.
    A middle ground that accounts for both of these could work.
    Winning team top to bottom damage = +24, 18,12,6,0 infamy and you also get +24 for dealing 100% more than your average damage, +18 for 75% more, +12 for equal and +0 for less.
    Same goes in reverse for the losing team.
    Losing team top to bottom damage gets -0,6,12,18,24 but damage compared to average stays the same.
    This way you can cancel out your negative infamy by meeting your average damage quota or even gain infamy for a loss by exceeding it.
    I think this would be fair compensation and would also allow higher skilled players to move up faster.
    Your average damage would need to remain secret to you to avoid manipulation.
    *I typed this up quickly so if further explanation is needed don't hesitate to ask :)

Sewah and Tmfh67401 like this.
  4. MGEV

MGEV Member

Yeah that's why I am not really touching the reward for winning team. I am mainly asking a favor for the hard workers in the losing team.

Tmfh67401 and JoshW like this.
  5. xArrogance

xArrogance Well-Known Member

It's a nice idea ... in theory.

There are several older threads with the same suggestion with more detailed responses fyi.

But, basically:

1) If you're never a bad teammate or floater, your infamy already represents that. If a floater is matched with you, it's more likely that they will be placed on the other team (i.e., there are 4 teammate spots vs 5 unfriend spots).

2) The consequence of your suggestion would be that players would focus damage over winning. You would be competing with your teammates for the top spot. Likewise, speeders and fixers would rarely get that top spot and would lose more infamy than high damage ships - making it harder for them to climb the ladder.

Otherwise, damage is only one way to measure your impact on a match outcome - and it's probably not the best measure.

3) Infamy is already the representation of how much you affect the outcome of matches - regardless of your teammates or competition. The greater your impact, the further you'll climb.

Side note: I get the frustration. I'm the top damage dealer in the majority of my matches .. and I'm often doing more than my entire team in losses.

If you're stuck at a certain infamy point, you have to find ways to have a bigger impact, earlier in matches ..

ViscountSniffit likes this.
  6. MGEV

MGEV Member

I don't agree with all of your points to be honest and you give too much credits for infamy. I don't know at which level you can be so sure that infamy represent skills and performance; but as far as sub-3500, I see all kinds of players in it. Infamy is a personal thing, but 80% of the outcome is decided by random strangers; and try to make bigger impact is basically sacrificing oneself (time, money, mind) to give people free lunch while saving yourself. I don't mind trying hard to save myself but I don't like undeserving people getting a free pass out of my effort.

Don't feel like writing another essay to debate the matter. If I like the game, I spend, if not, I don't. Let's keep it at that.

JoshW likes this.
  7. xArrogance

xArrogance Well-Known Member

Dealing with bad players (and good players that have a bad game) is part of it .. everyone deals with it regardless of infamy. The bad ones don't always have someone to carry them.

I don't remember the last time I had a bad game and ended up getting carried by my team to a win.

Screenshot_20181028-185154_Battle Bay.jpg Screenshot_20181028-185054_Battle Bay.jpg Screenshot_20181028-185211_Battle Bay.jpg Screenshot_20181028-185330_Battle Bay.jpg Screenshot_20181028-185415_Battle Bay.jpg Screenshot_20181028-185549_Battle Bay.jpg Screenshot_20181028-185734_Battle Bay.jpg Screenshot_20181028-185840_Battle Bay.jpg Screenshot_20181028-190453_Battle Bay.jpg

https://replay.battlebay.net/BXTNWGXC#QGRWLZRM