1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

On the Subject of the Sniper Cannon

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by CaffeinatedChris, 30 Nov 2017.

1. ViscountSniffit

ViscountSniffit Well-Known Member

Yes. If someone is using BC and ExC, then you are able to damage them from outside thier range. Even when you are within their max range, it is far FAR easier for you to hit them than it is for them to hit you. There is quite a long time in which you are able to inflict damage from relative safety. That damage adds up.

Assuming they aren’t killed, and manage to get up close to you, and they’ve been able to survive the onslaught of sniper, LRM and torpedo fire realtivly unscathed. Then yes, they should, absolutely, be able to kick your ass (assuming you didn’t bring any short range weaponry of your own).

The reality however, for BC and ExC users, is that when they do fight thier way forward, and manage to get within thier optimal range of snipers, they end up getting outgunned: 800 damage (if they don’t miss), versus 1100-1500 crits that are super accurate.

So yes, you should ‘situationally’ get your ass kicked, but the reality is: with just average luck (not even good luck), you will match them for damage.

Given that speeders can’t carry as many hit points (especially <mk4), that will usually mean they die quickly.

There is just no downside to snipers. At long range you get free damage for zero risk, and at short range you still win, with super powerful hits, and relentless accuracy.

Last edited: 22 Jan 2018
    YerJokinArnYer and ThatOnion like this.
  2. ViscountSniffit

Literally, from my last game. Sniper crits away 40% of my hp, on the first hit. I could understand if it were a Big Torp or a Mine, but a flippin baby could hit with sniper! Why the hell is it so powerful? *throws phone* 48F9086E-8D81-45FE-B430-F753B42860DE.png

StrictSalmon307 likes this.
  3. Disguised

Disguised Well-Known Member

At least you're in ace league, and it's more reasonable than the same amount of damage in Master league, if you look at my previously posted pictures a few pages before. Plus I've learned it's either a T4 epic or a rare with crit damage perks(for which the user sacrifices crit chance perks).
    A speeder once randomly crit me for 1400(I got really salty because all my health was gone practically with around ~300 hp left), but then I realied he was carrying a T3 or T4 rare sniper with 2 crit damage perks, which makes it pretty fair.

4. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

Dude, I see you're now Ace 3? Well, then. By rule of thumb, any crit above 1200 is from a weapon above rare t4. And I can tell you from experience, you have to get used to this being F2P. You sooon will be shot by epic t5 weapons and legendaries, total beasts that crit for about 2000.

However, by this time, you have to have learned sniper evasion. No way around it.

The main issue here is the mid leagues, in Master league, where the sniper cannon is so OP. Really, all the devs have to do is distribute the talent tree!

*JAWS* and Disguised like this.
  5. TheAntiSnipe

Wow we wrote literally the same thing.

Disguised likes this.
  6. ViscountSniffit

Yeah, I’ve been in Ace 3 for a while now.

What is this ‘sniper evasion’ you speak of? If there is some secret trick that allows you to avoid the weapon that practically every ship in the game is running two of, then I’d love to be in on it? Does it involve turning your phone off?

7. TheAntiSnipe

Haha! I'll teach you. It's a manipulation of the wave trick. Since the highest possibility of being ambushed by a snipe is when you're scouting(since you're the most viable target and shooters in Ace are smart enough not to snipe a speeder when a softer defender is in range), do this: Surf behind the wave, and when you get ambushed, count to two(from the point where the enemy gains vision) and nitro, SIDEWAYS, like a drift. It'll throw off the shot pretty well. Obviously, that isn't all there is to it. Meet me in a custom, we'll play with Beast Hunter. I'll show you the ins and outs.

You need the following:
    1. Judgement. Above 18.5(18.5 out of an average blast cannon's range), snipes take just about a second to reach their mark. If you nitro at the exact moment of the muzzle flash, it's a dodge.
    2. Stutterstep. This move lets you dodge excannons. Excannons miss if they even touch the water, so speeders can "dance" under explo fire. Teach you later;) don't want anyone to learn the exact details.
    4. Speed bluff. There's a technique that allows you to fake speed lol. It sounds weird, but that's the way it is xD.

Disguised likes this.
  8. Ian

Ian Well-Known Member

Student
    stutter 2 op. Best feeling ever is to slam on the breaks and see a barrage of cannons land right in front of and fly right past you lol
    Not only for ex cannons, works also for blast, torpedoes, grenades, flare, and most things... just doesnt work all too consistently vs sniper :/

Last edited: 23 Jan 2018
    TheAntiSnipe and Disguised like this.
  9. ViscountSniffit

More screen shots from today...

I managed to get the first shot in this game, with ex-Cannon, but typically I missed the speeder. First volley from the unfriends: oh what a surprise! A ‘lucky’ sniper crit!
    DA0A3653-F612-492E-9516-DE5893F293EE.png

Then a few seconds later, wow! Two more sniper crits together! What. Are. The. Chances? Less than a minute into the game and already dead from 3 sniper crits in a row.
    5628B07A-786B-4C45-9198-7DB9221AF8CB.png

But don’t worry! I landed a Blast Cannon shot, for 662 damage so it was totally fair.
    9FC0838E-053B-4B25-8636-6FA4BF1A8715.png

Let’s add up.
    Speeder with a single Sniper: 2 shots = 2377 Damage!

Speeder with ExC and BC: 2 shots = 662!

Guy who took a pot shot from miles away: 1 shot = 993 (could have been more, but sadly for him, I’m all out of hit points) :D

But yeah it’s totally balanced. If anything I’d say the sniper is underpowered... (/sarcasm)

ThatOnion, Ian and A55A51N like this.
  10. BasedCarpen

BasedCarpen Well-Known Member

It's absolutely ridiculous. My two slot Berta does the same damage typically and I have to freeze people first ahd it still misses but they were quick to nerf that.

I just accepted the devs do not want a balanced game based on data and usage, they want it to "feel" right according to them.

TheAntiSnipe, Ian and ViscountSniffit like this.
  11. Ian

Ian Well-Known Member

Student
    Hey man, all i know is that this shouldn't be a thing that works lol
    IMG_0938.jpg

A55A51N and ViscountSniffit like this.
  12. BasedCarpen

13. EyeOfDoom

EyeOfDoom Well-Known Member

Wait till you enter the real p2w zone. Part of the reason I play defender so I don't die in two shots like these. Crit damage scaling is off the charts.
    [​IMG]

14. nosesabe

nosesabe Well-Known Member

The problem with sniper is not the damage, torpedoes deal a lot of damage too and no one is complaining about it, the problem is the accuracy of it. SNIPPER IS GOOD BECAUSE ITS EASY TO LAND A SHOT WITH IT!! THERE’S LITTLE SKILL INVOLVED.

Why don’t you make it more difficult to use the sniper!? Don’t change the reload time, change the dynamics of it. Make it more difficult to use so if you want to benefit from using it you have to be skilled. That would certainly make everyone happy and only the noobs would complain.

ITS THE BEST SOLUTION!!!

Crashedup and ViscountSniffit like this.
  15. BasedCarpen

So beyond broken. Screenshot_2018-01-26-22-03-28.png

ViscountSniffit likes this.
  16. ViscountSniffit

Look at this BS! Look at the clock! I can’t have been on thier radar for more than a second, and both manage to hit me, from half the map away, while I’m overboosting, both crits on the first hit. You can still see the trail... it looks like it flew in from a different continent. FCD860B5-2854-44B8-9B29-A67D3CD3C2DD.png

I could understand the big damage if there was some level of skill involved, but there is no way they had time to aim, I couldn’t aim my weapons that quickly. It’s just an easy shoot-from-the-hip weapon, that does completely disproportionate damage, and basically ruins the game for anyone who wants to fight against ships that they can actually see.

What’s the point in trying to battle, when people can just ‘click’ and do 1k damage to anyone on thier radar.

Why is this ridiculous, unfun, broken menace not nerfed yet?

Even if you disagree with it being OP, it still ought to be nerfed for being a stupid unfun game element, and to cull how overused it is in every battle.

Last edited: 1 Feb 2018
    ThatOnion and A55A51N like this.
  17. ViscountSniffit

Literally the next game. Point blank. At the time, I thought I’d been hit with a legendry Blast Cannon or something. You can still see how much damage my t4 Epic Exploding Cannon does: 883, yet I’m being outgunned by a mk4 with a rare sniper! AA032046-30A2-4566-A0A9-E16F02B9ECCE.png

18. *JAWS*

*JAWS* Well-Known Member

Never do i get kicked by sniper users.
    In 2 weeks a sniper has yet to be the killing shot.
    More often its a flare, or a big torp or and ex cannon that kills me.

And if I am in any sniper users face.... goodluck. Its game over for them. Eating shooter boats is my specialty. No stuns needed. Just flare and 2 ex cannons and then watch em burn the last 10 seconds.

19. *JAWS*

*JAWS* Well-Known Member

Sniper aint Op end game. Could use a bhurt training tree adjustment mid game. I go against guys in nitemare even with maxed leg.5 sniper like Banderas. And still think. Is that it?

Not OP.

20. PastelPiku

PastelPiku Well-Known Member

Security
    What if we buffed every ship's health so they don't go down as easy, and make matches last a little longer to compensate for the longer kill time.

I am aware of how far-fetched this idea is, but I feel like this would narrow the sniper's gap between "kinda strong" and 1/3rd of your health. It would make consistent damaging weapons feel more reliable, while making each crit on a sniper feel justified, but the actual damage goes unchanged.

This would make it take more effort to sink someone, making it require more sniper crits to deal the same proportional damage, which is not 100% chance. I think less people would complain about those crits if they had more health, since their actual dps is reasonable.