1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

New Weapon (Xbow) thoughts

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by xArrogance, 7 Dec 2018.

1. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

... Because what makes fire combos OP is the CHAINING. Exactly my point, mate!

Agile Vanguard likes this.
  2. envylife

envylife Well-Known Member

Are suggesting to remove the Fire chaining for all weapons? You can't use that as an excuse to dispute a new weapon when we have three that already do that.

3. Reorge

Reorge Well-Known Member

So you mean shooters and defenders will ONLY shoot it from far away and not from close range ? Btw Flare is AoE ?
    The dmg has to be pretty low since I don't see this weapon shot to be dodgeable at all.

Last edited: 8 Dec 2018
  4. envylife

It could work like the LRM, unusable at close range, which would effectively nullify it as a fire combo weapon if that's what you are looking for. It would require more damage to balance it out then. The original point was to make an alternative to FB though.

5. TheAntiSnipe

Nah, was supporting your statement. Range IS its drawback, is what I meant. I talked about this point as well, in my first message on this thread :)

envylife likes this.
  6. envylife

That was like... yesterday... I can't remember that many posts ago! :D

TheAntiSnipe likes this.
  7. Reorge

Reorge Well-Known Member

That's why I suggested it to give it railgun like projectile stats.

My point is Firebomb and Flare gun are already quite op weapons although Firebomb misses and has a slow projectile and Flare gun has medium range and these are their only drawbacks. Imo the Firebomb edge giving 15 sec burns is what making it an easy to use/spam weapon and op. There are still some slim chances to dodge a flare shot.
    But X-bow misses these drawbacks. 2 slot point becomes an issue mainly for yellow boats as they need to be pretty careful with their weapon loadouts because of their low firepower. Giving 30% heal reducing ability to a fire weapon that already burns for 20 secs and is impossible to dodge(even for yellow boats) is something I don't wanna see in the bay. No offense, I like the weapon idea but needs some balancing.

8. TheAntiSnipe

I mean, yeah, I get what you're trying to say, but then again,
    1. One can dodge anything in the game if they're expecting it to be used.
    2. Fast ships when fighting at range can simply retreat and wait out the 20 seconds or however long the burn lasts.
    Other than that, I was thinking of possible balance changes and ended up starting to think about what would happen if a real crossbow shot was fired.
    • The farther it traveled, the slower the bolt would get. Cannot be emulated here
    • The farther it traveled, the lighter it would feel when it hit. Can be emulated by reducing either burn duration or strength. Reducing the duration is a NO if this weapon is going to be used for ranged shooting, however, we can consider it if the weapon is given a close range burn value of 20+ seconds with perks and a long-range value that can go up to 15. Reducing damage... Meh. Over all, I don't recommend this class of balancing.
    • The closer your target gets, the harder it gets to aim the crossbow. Cannot be emulated here
    So that's a no-no for the most part. Other nerfs I thought of:
    • Making it a near-zero-arc weapon using a "charge" mechanic. So you'd have to hold the trigger to charge it and then fire. Undercharging it causes you to lose out on range, overcharging makes the shot go haywire.
    • Completely rework it to "burst" on hit and "ignite" on crit as a bonus effect, much like @xArrogance suggested.

xArrogance likes this.
  9. Agile Vanguard

Agile Vanguard Well-Known Member

Random Battle Bay player and tuber.
    Pun intended?

xArrogance likes this.
  10. xArrogance

xArrogance Well-Known Member

I suppose the one thing I didn't explain is that this one of my solutions to help the game out - by bringing back the mid-range game.

In this meta, I'm doing very well ... but it's low-skill and it gets boring.

A shooter can be extremely successful setting up a mine field and spamming long-range mortars/FBs, especially with a fixer doing the same. It's easy enough to make speeder/defenders useless with enough mines, easy enough to slowly splash damage an enforcer to death, and easy enough keep the new ships from having a proper role. The biggest threat to me is another fixer/shooter team.

Do people enjoy playing this way or is it just the better strategy at the moment?

IMO, most shooters prefer the mid-range, fast-paced action but they don't trust the Flare. It's a slim chance to hit with it as a large ship shooting at one of the 5/8 nitro ships (or it's a slim chance that the hit will register). As an Enfo, Defender, or Speeder, it's difficult to get into an effective range right now. And it'll get worse as more people switch over to this long-range spam meta.

However, if Shooters and Defenders had a reliable fire-starter to get into the trenches with and speeders had the ability to harass spammers without exposing themselves for 2 shots, I believe you'd see a shift towards a higher quality of matchplay.

Of course, the alternative is to nerf every long-range weapon and the mine into the ground - a trend that's already started. But, with a lack of powercells and item progression at an all-time low, this would likely lead to many players being forced out of the game because they can't compete in the trenches (with the flare/grenade).

So, that's my solution .. Add something that's missing rather than balancing with a sledgehammer until you get the game you want.

Otherwise, the "can't miss" comments make it seem like the sniper is the ultimate weapon right now. It does 0 damage 100% of the time against tesla shields, shield walls, and takes a fair amount of skill to hit moving targets at longer ranges. It requires line-of-sight and knowledge of where your opponent is moving and at what speed. It's not a tap-hit weapon otherwise you'd see everyone running around with full sniper loadouts. It's not a weak weapon, but it's not overpowered.

As others have explained, if you wanted to sit back and spam 5 long-range "can't miss" weapons, the instant damage snipers would be a better option, not a damage-over-time weapon.

Anywho, as I've said, the balance should be in the burning per second. And if you think an xbow would be balanced at half the damage of the flare and can explain why you think so, I would have no issue with that. The only issue I have is suggesting that the ability to land a shot makes something overpowered regardless of the damage - because that defeats the entire purpose.

11. xArrogance

xArrogance Well-Known Member

Yeah .. I'm hesitant to ask for any weapon or damage effects because it'll be harder to code and would likely be less reliable ..

But your reverse railgun effect (to a lesser extent) is an interesting idea - matching the weapon with how real crossbows work. Greater rewards for more risk is always a fun dynamic.

TheAntiSnipe likes this.