1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

New Ship: 4-gun Sentry

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by xArrogance, 6 Oct 2018.

1. xArrogance

xArrogance Well-Known Member

I figured I should get my suggestions out now ..

New ship suggestion:

The Sentry
    Mk6/7
    • 4 red items (5 slots)
    • 3 blue items (4 slots)
    • 1 yellow item (2 slots)
    Size, speed, agility and turret speed similar to the fixer.

The main advantage to this ship is the variation in setups it could bring. The allocation of items and slot points allows any item to be used (other than green items). I'll let your imagination run wild with the possibilities .. But, I imagine a ship of this class would certainly bring a high level of excitement to the bay.

Thoughts?

I toyed around with several variations of this ship but ended up with the above version because it adds the most variety to the game and doesn't replace any other ship's role.

1) the obvious
    • 4 red items (6 slots), 4 blue items (5 slots)
    Simply put, this version would replace the defender's role.

2) the 1-slot yellow
    • 4 red items (6 slots), 3 blue items (4 slots), 1 yellow item (1 slot)
    This version would create a mortar/FB spamming class that is able to outrun shooters and defenders - which is obviously not ideal. It would also prevent the Sentry from using the frost launcher (reducing variation).

3) the mini-fixer
    • 4 red (5), 2 blue (3), 1 yellow (1), 1 green (2)
    • 4 red (5), 2 blue (3/2), 2 green (3/4)
    I thought about exchanging fixing items for firepower. but decided it was a bad idea. Pulse and Duct Tape are too powerful to give to other ships.

One last thing - the speeder crowd might not be enthused about this ... but is it really that much worse than another shooter or enforcer?

2. Jimbot

Jimbot Well-Known Member

I've been thinking about a 4 weapon ship for a while. I think It would provide a good balance for any player. The best part is that it would provide an effective counter to DB enfos. YOu could have the same speed but a more versatile weapon array. Great layout.

xArrogance likes this.
  3. FearsomeChicken

FearsomeChicken Well-Known Member

I think your idea is good, its just that every shooter will migrate to it due to the versatility of a yellow item, plus they can make do with 4 weapons. I suggest the hp of the ship be between an enfo and a shooter, and less forward/backward acceleration than a shooter.

4. Fin-

Fin- Active Member

Motimer (*getting mortar damage+50%)
    4 red (6 slots)
    3 blue (3 slot)
    1 green(1 slot)
    Almost deffender size and speed.

5. Fin-

Fin- Active Member

Torpedo man(lol)
    *getting torpedo damage+30%
    *this ship can only be searched within 10m meters of approach

2 red (4 slots)
    2 yellow (3 slots)
    4 blue (4 slots)

6. Leuco

Leuco Active Member

I think it would need 1 less blue or yellow slot, because right now it's like a slower enforcer with more firepower and more HP. I wouldn't want to go up against something with two grenades, a mine, an xcannon, 11k-12k hp (+ turbo), and a tesla shield

7. ViscountSniffit

ViscountSniffit Well-Known Member

I personally feel that it was a huge design error by Rovio, to allow any ship more than three guns. It undermines strategy, precision, and just leads to spamming.

On the plus side, this ship would probably draw a decent amount of players away from Shooter, which might add some variety to the game ‘visually’, but it’s not a direction I’d like to see the game going in terms of gameplay.

SWAT0013, Ultrah, AntiHero and 5 others like this.
  8. envylife

envylife Well-Known Member

I love it. A 4-gun ship fills the biggest gap in this game.

I'm fairly open to all of your variations as well.. in fact when I proposed a 4-gun boat months ago, the idea was to push it out with a flex slot, one that can hold any 1-slot yellow/green/blue/red item. If for some reason it became too OP the flex slot have item-specific limitations. Being a 1-slot would already put some significant limitations (no TS, No Pulse, No Frost Launcher), so it's not entirely obvious how this could be exploited.

The questions you ask yourself would be like the following

1. I am a Shooter, am I willing to give up a Red slot for an extra Bandage? A OB? A Repair Bolt?
    2. I am a Defender, am I willing to give up a Blue slot for another weapon? A Repair Bolt? A Frost blaster? TB?

The idea of a flex slot makes me excited about the added strategies. But just having a 4-weapon boat would be a welcome first step.

xArrogance, JoshW and Ultrah like this.
  9. nzouF

nzouF Member

I've seen dumb ideas but this one takes the cake.
    Just call that boat the OP boat, make it live and see it dominate everything.

wtfack likes this.
  10. xArrogance

I assumed it would be obvious, but I suppose I have to spell it out.

The fixer has the largest hitbox outside of the ridiculously-sized defender, which is part of the trade off.

It would be much easier to hit than shooters, speeders and enforcers (especially with double bubbles), and, compared to the defender, it has less HPs and the same number of weapon slots ..

If I wanted it OP, I would have said 4 red (4), 2 blue (3), 2 yellow (4) .. which would be the setup I'd use if we got to fully customize a ship.

11. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

10/10 would use the hell outta it:D
    Great idea!

HAPPY SITHSHA and xArrogance like this.
  12. YerJokinArnYer

YerJokinArnYer MVP

Would I use it? Absolutely. Because I think that 4 guns is the optimum number of weapons.
    Do I think it would be OP? Unfortunately yes.
    I can’t see any reason why anyone would use any other ship.

wtfack likes this.
  13. TheAntiSnipe

I see a lot of reasons.

The hitbox that has the size of a fixers', coupled with the necessity of using a TS or an overboost, means it's bad at assassination, which safes the speeder.

The low reverse rate coupled with the lack of good defence makes it bad at the enfo's brand of dueling.

The low weapon count coupled with lower HP(I hope) will make it different from the artillery-piece designation of the shooter.

It's not a defender-type or a fixer type for obvious reasons.

I think what this ship is good for is:

1. A light interceptor.
    2. A genuine trapsetter like the enfo, due to its capability to hold a napalm in one of its slots.
    3. A mid-high range ship which fills the gap that exists in the ranks of true snipers in this game: The sniper who can bug out and heal up before re-engaging, whilst dealing serious damage.

What I'll be using it for is most likely the third role, with OB as yellow, B+BS+T as blues, and blast blast flare rail.

xArrogance likes this.
  14. envylife

Why do you say this?

15. YerJokinArnYer

YerJokinArnYer MVP

Purely because I believe 4 weapons is optimum.

Plus if you stick a T5E TS on it, the large hit box size issue becomes irrelevant .

Anyway, other people have opposing opinions to me, which is fair enough.

wtfack likes this.
  16. envylife

Well, 5 weapons is better than 4! My proposal was for a 1-slot Yellow, which excludes any issue with TS... but it all depends on speed/agility and default HP on the boat. Enforcer is sort of garbage without TS, good with 1, and OP with 2... so that gives you an idea that TS itself won't necessarily make the boat OP.

Another way to think of it is what if there was a variation of an Enforcer with 4 Red slots? Or would adding a 4th gun to defender (in place of a blue slot) make it OP?

17. TheAntiSnipe

However, TS without OB is horrible... Comments?

18. xArrogance

Beautiful summation!

People think of a fixer as tough to kill because they can self-heal at a high rate and good fixers rarely expose themselves to the enemy.

The one 2-slot weapon limitation means you'll primarily be using weapons that force you to expose yourself to the enemy.

[The only exception would be a frost/mortar build but we all know how difficult to use or ineffective that build can be on certain maps.]

This ship without a Tshield/Nitro/OB would be destroyed by anyone that got in it's face - especially defenders.

And, as others said, one TS is balanced. It provides at most 10 seconds of coverage for a 20 second cooldown. Two TSs would be OP.

TheAntiSnipe likes this.
  19. Flint

Flint Well-Known Member

We have been talking about new ships for over a year, but they never come. So, your idea is good. But except from the events and the agility the game has become stale. We got one new map in a years time, wow. Nightmare players getting bored, because there won't be any new challenges, so a lot of them go Seal Clubbing. Their own words not mine.

Just count the ideas we brought in and how few of them have actually made it to the game. Was it worth our time?

I doubt it.....

Regards,
    Flint

wtfack likes this.
  20. xArrogance

With the exception of the rail gun, 2-slot weapons are all "spam" weapons. The Sentry couldn't spam 2-slot weapons with one 2-slot weapon; the majority of its weapons would be the "higher skill" 1-slot weapons.

Of course you could equip 4 ballparks and run around spamming, but you'd see enforcers doing that now if it was a viable strategy.

But, perhaps you mean that having more than three weapons is spammy ..

They could remove the shooter .. and then remove all the weapons not used on the other 4 ships. Nine out of the twenty weapons already have less than a 3% use rate (including shooter usage), so they'd be unnecessary. And other than flare, blast cannon, grenade, mine, EC, and maybe napalm for fixers, there's no real point for the other weapons either .. so we're left with six weapons and four ships in the game.

Although, even though shooters aren't a good counter for the enforcer, it's the only ship that has the slightest chance of winning 1v1 or 2v2 against enforcers. But, I suppose that's one direction for the game ..

Personally, I also value precision, predictability and reliability in my fps games .. For example, when you fire a weapon, you expect certain things to happen - for it to have a predictable result. If it hits an enemy, you expect it to do damage.

So ... if I had to pick a fatal design error, it would be in designing a ship that is too fast for the game to properly register hits .. an issue that is exacerbated with items that further increase that speed (and exponentially increase the number of unregistered hits).

That's why they stopped doing the 20% boosted speed event .. because the speed of every ship crossed the threshold into the void of lost projectiles.

Last edited: 8 Oct 2018
    TheAntiSnipe likes this.