1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

My fire nerf idea

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by What's Up Player, 14 Aug 2018.

1. SlayerofSergeants

SlayerofSergeants Well-Known Member

According to the MPAA, PG-13 movies are allowed one F-bomb. You edited mine out!

2. CaffeinatedChris

CaffeinatedChris MVP

Well technically you had a "GTFO" in there too ... ;)

The idea is that while we are playing a game about boats, we don't necessarily need to swear like sailors to get our points across.

The TL;DR (as I understand it) is that you can only receive as much bonus damage as the Fire weapon itself would have done.

I'll try with some numbers.

The attacker's flare lasts for 20 seconds, doing 100dmg a tick - 2000hp total would be lost if you get flared and nothing else. You are now vulnerable to up to an extra 2000 "bonus damage" from other weapons.

Someone hits you with a Blast Cannon. Normally, it would have done 1600 damage - but because they fitted four 12% Fire Bonus perks, it would do 2368 - an extra 768 damage. That bonus amount is subtracted from your ship's "vulnerability to bonus fire damage" - so now it's 2000 - 768 = 1232.

A second Blast hits you, doing the same 2368 damage, now you're down to 1232 - 768 = 464 bonus damage remaining.

If you get hit a third time, the Blast hit would only do 1600 base damage, plus 464 (your remaining "bonus damage") = 2064.

However, if instead of that third Blast, you get hit with another 2000-damage Flare or Firebomb, it adds the 2000 to your "bonus damage" counter, and you now have 2464 potential extra points of hurt.

Perhaps the pool could tick down over time, in line with the DPS of the Fire weapon itself, so that if you get Flared, and then dodge shots for ten seconds before getting hit, your reward is that you have a lower "bonus damage" pool of only 1000.

This would mean that the first two or three shots still hurt, but it mitigates the "one flare, OVER NINE THOUSAND CANNONS" wombo-combo.

Last edited: 17 Aug 2018
  3. SlayerofSergeants

Out of curiosity, did he at all mention the dominance of double bubble enforcers?

4. SlayerofSergeants

Thanks, that is more clear. The DOT of the flare gun or fire bomb is not reduced? How does this work for someone burning in naplam?

I still don't like it. Fire + cannon burst is the only way to kill enforcers between shields. Seems like the idea behind this nerf is to further buff enforcers and nerf defenders.

My solution to a nerf like this, carry more flare guns.

5. CaffeinatedChris

CaffeinatedChris MVP

Was only watching on and off, so I don't recall if that was asked.

Link to the video is below if you want to go through and review but it's a long one.

I don't think the DOT value would ever be reduced in this example, only the "bonus damage" value would wear off when taking hits or over time.

Personally I would say "no bonus damage cap to players sitting in napalm" - if you're in napalm, move!

I'd think that would be the intended result. If you want to inflict huge amounts of fire-roasted damage bonus, bring extra sources of flame. Even if you only bring one, but end up fleeting (or finding) a teammate who also has a Flare/Firebomb, it would reward players who pull off coordinated attacks (call out a target, throw two flares on it, then focus fire)

6. SupremeCalamitas

SupremeCalamitas Well-Known Member

I don't think it's your business
    NERF MORTARS? I've never heard of noobs getting to nightmare league.

7. Shadow Moon!

Shadow Moon! Well-Known Member

Flare nerf will be another speeder nerf *sigh*. What combo would speeders will use then? Forst torp *dead*
    Flare nerf will kill flare explosive and blast combo.
    In other words enforcer and shooter buff, again.

SlayerofSergeants likes this.
  8. SupremeCalamitas

Meh, I carry a flare and firebomb on shooter. But if I had to use two fire items to get any bonus damage, speeder would be RUINED. Unless an extra red slot was added. I ain't switching to enforcer, I'm not a double bubble noob, and speedforcer is MUCH slower than an actual speeder

Last edited by a moderator: 17 Aug 2018
  9. SlayerofSergeants

It was a tongue-in-cheek complaint about a nothing issue. Just like these fire complaints.

Also, mortar spam is annoying in events.

ShipCrusherCz likes this.
  10. SupremeCalamitas

Nerfing fire is stupid IMO. Kills speeders... what problem do these people have with speeders and defenders?!

11. CaffeinatedChris

CaffeinatedChris MVP

I don't think so, if my understanding in this post is correct.

In the example I used (20s x 100dmg Flare, 1600dmg BC with 4x Burning perk) the first two shots get the full bonus. The third would fall off - but by that time, your Flare Gun has reloaded and you should set the person on fire again, refilling the "bonus damage" bucket.

TheAntiSnipe and ShipCrusherCz like this.
  12. What's Up Player

What's Up Player Well-Known Member

Found it for ya..

47 minute mark I believe.

TheAntiSnipe and ShipCrusherCz like this.
  13. What's Up Player

Imagine your flare does 2000 damage (T5 epic does around that).
    My idea was, that for that flare hit, you can get maximum of 2000 fire bonus damage via cannons.
    Example on blasts (because I'm Enforcer):
    • Flare hit for 2000
    • First blast for 1300 + 900 bonus damage
    • Second blast for 1300 + 900 bonus damahd
    • Third blast for 1300 + 200 bonus damage
    • Fourth blast for 1300 + 0 bonus damage.
    Of course, as a single person, you won't notice a difference if you're using 2 cannons with fire perks. The difference is, that the fired player won't get wrecked by all the cannons possible just because he got hit by a single flare or fire bomb.

ShipCrusherCz likes this.
  14. What's Up Player

You understand it perfectly. It's not nerf to a combo from a single players perspective.
    Take it as a limitation. Player who got hit by a fire won't be super vulnerable the whole 20 seconds by whole enemies teams' cannons.

TheAntiSnipe likes this.
  15. What's Up Player

It's not a speeder nerf. Read the posts before commenting please.

Last edited by a moderator: 17 Aug 2018
  16. SlayerofSergeants

I appreciate the explanation. That was clarifying.

I still disagree that fire needs any nerf at all. Fixer with extinguisher training slot on one particular healing item would be cool in my book.

Last edited: 17 Aug 2018
    TheAntiSnipe likes this.
  17. SeaNavy

SeaNavy Well-Known Member

Yeah it is. Nerf fire = nerf fire + cannon combo = 90% of speeders and defenders nerfed. Besides, this isn't a nerf, this is literally just erasing the combo. The combo is supposed to give you extra damage, but this way, it won't give you any bonus damage.
    Right now, the equation for total damage of fire cannon combo would be t=(x+z)+y where t is the total damage, x is cannon damage, y is fire damage, and z is fire bonus damage. But with your changes, it would be t=(x+z)+(y-z), which would simplify to t=x+y, so there is no real combo.

18. What's Up Player

That's cool, we're discussing about the issue, that's what these forums are made for :)

19. SupremeCalamitas

Thank you! Finally someone with a brain enters the thread!

20. SupremeCalamitas

Yeah, if these people REALLY want fire nerfed, I hope that a repair bolt buff will douse their complaining ( see what I did there?)

SlayerofSergeants likes this.