1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

MK4 Fixer Setup

Discussion in 'Strategy Discussion' started by Ultrah, 5 Jul 2017.

1. Ultrah

Ultrah Well-Known Member

IMG_3743.PNG
    Is it bad that I use two Turbos? Just bought an MK4 and I was wondering what to fill the second slot with.

Miathan likes this.
  2. Joey who

Joey who Well-Known Member

A big shield would be better now that fixers get targetted fast you need more hp

Ultrah, aKifer and OptimusRy like this.
  3. Elurien

Elurien Member

A small shield works to. So you can also a turbo.

Ultrah likes this.
  4. aKifer

aKifer Active Member

Imo it depends on how good of a shield you can have. If it adds no def and 300 hp you might as well keep 2 turbos. It depends on how you play though. I reckon you should test both builds

Ultrah likes this.
  5. Kitterini

Kitterini Well-Known Member

Id suggest working towards the classic turbo+small shield (health perks!)+overboost.

Ultrah likes this.
  6. aKifer

aKifer Active Member

Really? Health over def for the shield?

7. Craigjnoble

Craigjnoble Well-Known Member

I actually use turbo, rudder and overboost. At the moment it seems to be mortar city and I have gone up an extra 100 infamy (at 1.7k) just from being able to dodge the red carpet a bit better.

Miathan likes this.
  8. Joey who

All the mk4s I see at my infamy (2200) have a high level standard shield or a big shield.

9. Kitterini

Big shield does not belong on a fixer. If you insist on No turbo and all shields then you'd run 2 smal shields.

Yes, zero contest.

aKifer likes this.
  10. Joey who

Some people in the small leagues can't get 2 decently upgraded standard shields. At least from what I see most use a turbo + standard shield or big shield. Haven't seen the double standard shield yet. I would add it to my speeder too if I had 2 standard shields I can't even find a rare... All gear lubes and rudders </3

(I've recently switched from turbo+bandage to big shield as I fleet with a fixer mainly)

11. Kitterini

If they use a Big Shield they have room for improvement -- Sorry for going at you, but this is terrible advice! For someone that wants to primarily play Fixer any investment in Big Shield is wasted, its not useable at any mk.
    The first blue item on any succesful Fixer (heck any boat) is Turbo.

TLDR - Do not, under any circumstance, use a big shield on a fixer!

12. Joey who

If your only item to increase hp is a big shield (or your big shield has more hp than your 2 standard shields) and you need more hp using a big shield is not a bad idea.

13. Kitterini

Thats the thing, it is a bad idea.
    I get what you in theory are trying to say, but it has nothing to do with actual fixer gameplay -- Its bad advice & I would strongly recommend any new fixer to ignore it.
    ---
    If you are a Fixer you need a Turbo -- It will increase your survival much more than any shield.
    Fixers peak at [2] blue points -- 1 goes to Turbo, so you will never have room for a Big Shield.

14. aKifer

aKifer Active Member

Thanks, I will switch my perks then!

How do you feel about nitro vs overboost after the nerf?

15. Kitterini

I don't have a viable Nitro, so have not tested it.
    Still happy with my Overboost, but I could see Nitro (or perhaps a good Tesla Stun) being viable also.

Part of the reason why HP perks are better is due to how additional HP %'s are calculated -- In practice the HP shield perk gives alot more hp than you'd think.
    When I equip a rare HP perk (100hp) the following happens:
    Shield hp 896 -> 1027. [+131]
    Ship hp 4122 -> 4282. [+160]
    ---
    My ship goes from 3019hp to 4282 hp with a 1027hp shield. [+1263]

16. aKifer

aKifer Active Member

That is great to know. You refer to the +% hp talents?
    I'd like to play the tesla stun, just waiting for enough luck to build a decent one.

17. Miathan

Miathan Well-Known Member

I think people are focusing too much on HP. HP isn't the most important thing on fixer... it only works once. What you're really looking for is sustainability, to keep yourself alive by doing more repairing than you take damage. To do that, avoiding is key. No amount of heals can save you if you take all the damage. So yeah, I take rudder + turbo as blues like @Craigjnoble , though I can also see the benefit of double turbo.

18. Kitterini

Seeing that we can heal back up, it has potential to work more than once? ;)

I cannot imagine playing a mk5/6/7 Fixer without the shield -- A naked mk6 Fixer under 4k hp, one mine/torpedo and you are pretty much dead, one Flare Gun+Blast Cannon hit and you are fleeing for your life.

19. Miathan

Miathan Well-Known Member

No, it still only works once... unless you manage to get damaged to within less HP than the shield gives you (meaning only the shield kept you alive) and then heal back up to full. Now, I don't know about you, but when I take that much damage, I typically don't manage to heal all the way back up. I either die or finish the battle on low / mid HP.

Well yeah, but the point is, you're much better off avoiding mines and big torps than taking more HP and trying to survive the hit.

Though I have to add, my perspective is from mk4 play below 2k infamy. I don't know what the game looks like at higher inf and ship levels. But in my range I would not want a shield.

20. mang inasar

mang inasar Active Member

as an mk4 fixer, i used to have a turbo and rudder for the blue slots. after the update, i ditched the rudder and use small shield for extra health. i tried using bandage instead of rudder too but i find the small shield helps me better.

Ultrah likes this.