1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Meta Snapshot 9/8 - 3rd installment

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Kitterini, 9 Aug 2017.

1. Joey who

Joey who Well-Known Member

Because it's accurate and gives you lots of range. Depending on your boat either one is an obvious choice. For a shooter, sniper is the obvious choice and for a speeder/enforcer it's blast cannon

2. Zusay

Zusay Well-Known Member

IMG_1147.jpg IMG_1146.jpg
    Well if you say it's obvious, it surely is...luckily best speeder at this moment isn't using a sniper right?

Smombie and Miathan like this.
  3. Wishaal

Wishaal Well-Known Member

Yup, and I don't think another sniper nerf will stop people from using sniper anymore. However, sniper is by no means overpowered.

4. Joey who

Doesn't mean some speeders and enforcers aren't going to use it. I just said it was an obvious choice. Do all speeders run blast cannons? No. And just because he is the top player doesn't mean he is the best. He does have the advantage of tier 5 legendaries if you haven't noticed and there are better players in the game than all of those players on the leaderboard.

5. CheekyDevilGod

CheekyDevilGod Well-Known Member

Relax both of you, sniper is the more reliable weapon to actually hit with while blast and explosive is the weapon that does more reliable dmg.

Speeders prefer blast over snipers cause speeders can use their speed, get really close and attack in close range and don't really need a sniper anyways as they shoot in close quaters, they can get hits with bc and ec easily, shooters on the otherhand usually use all long range weapons mostly cause they can't get close to ships with their speed and hence they prefer sniper. They can't land hits with bc and ec.

Also dude who claims sniper is the better option on speeder cause renegade bunta uses sniper. Please understand that the game doesn't really give you the exact weapons you want. If I'm going to get a legendary, I'm going to learn how to use it on every ship I have no matter how fitting it is.

Yes, sniper is an amazing weapon, but is it better suited for a speeder than a blast cannon? Hell no, if you use a sniper on a speeder, you are not exploiting a speeders speed to the maximum.

Ian likes this.
  6. Joey who

We are relax lol. We are conversing. Some good points though.

7. xxxBISMARCKxxx

xxxBISMARCKxxx Well-Known Member

I like the data and thanks for compiling the numbers, but I think your analysis is weak. For example the 'Speeders OP Defenders UP' conclusion. Is it that they are that powerful/weak in main gameplay, or simply that a skilled speeder player who cares about their infamy ranking is able to avoid a loss on the x % of the time they are in a 1 v 1 in an unfavorable position at the end, while defenders are not? And that multiplied over the massive number of games the top 50 players play, it has significant results on infamy? I'm not sure that's the same as being OP/UP.

Regarding the mortars you have extrapolated from the very top tier of players in gear that they aren't a problem. Well obviously at that gear level they would not be, since the flight time of mortars doesn't change much over levelling up, while players get significantly faster as they get better and better turbos/buffs. For the vast majority of players, the flight time of mortars is much less in relation to the speed of their ships; if mortar flight time scaled down at the top tier with any sort of correlation to speed increases, mortars would obviously be a lot more represented. But no, you just point to the top 50 without any sort of real analysis and say that there's therefore no issue. Perhaps you should stick to your strengths, which appear to be more in the realm of data compilation than analysis.

Last edited: 10 Aug 2017
  8. P0rthos

P0rthos Well-Known Member

The problem with defenders is that they get scare AF when you load them out with legendary shields (20,000+ hit points). So in super high level whale play, they are absurdly powerful and OP. However, for the majority of us who can't do that, it's a bit underpowered when you only have rare and low level epic shields.. Probably just the way it's gonna be, and I'm slowly coming to accept that.

9. xxxBISMARCKxxx

xxxBISMARCKxxx Well-Known Member

But as I was saying you can have all 20k hp and if you are the only one against a faster ship with 100 hp, you will probably just get a draw if they're smart. Whereas in a 1v1 at the end if you are low on hp and they are not, you will probably lose because they can catch you.

10. Zombie

Zombie Active Member

nerf torps :x

11. Babablacksheep

Babablacksheep Well-Known Member

I agree with joeyaa about blast canon, the screenshot you showed is of speeder using legendary weapon, hell if i have a tier 3 legendary sniper why would i use a blast canon even though more convenient for speeder, i bet he would have preferred a legendary blast, but weapons are something that are not spawned according to your choice....

12. Zusay

Zusay Well-Known Member

ahm idk if you ever tried getting legendaries, but if you buy 3900 pearl boxes, you mostly get red legendary pieces. So far I have 3 red weapons, 1 blue legendary item and yellow and green just a few parts so far as they are rare. This guy has tier 4 and 5 blue and yellow items, pretty sure he has tons of legendary weapons and also a few blast or explosive cannons.

Smombie likes this.
  13. Kitterini

Kitterini Well-Known Member

Cheers for an honest opinion!
    ---
    You are absolutely right that any conclusions based on such a small sample size are weak (at best). I'd suggest seeing the comments added more as points for discussion, rather than me claiming them to be facts. It is (only) a measurement of what people in the top 50 at a given point of time had as their chosen ship.
    Perhaps your speeder vs defender observation holds true - But that doesn't really alter the fact than 1 boat is better at the central goal of the game (winning/losing)? Its great to be a large asset 5 on 5, but if you end up losing anyway it wasn't worth much. For what its worth I don't think balance is that bad, all 5 classes are represented in the top 50 which in itself is certainly not a given.

The list is just a measurement of what is most efficient (or percieved to be most efficient) for acquiring a high rating. In competitive games people naturally gravitate towards the class (boat) that gives a competitive edge, if you spend 10k $ or play 30k games to reach the top, you likely also consider what other aspects that might help. For a long time most top players believed that the top boat was speeder. Whether this is still the case, or the speeder meta now is more a consequence of how long it takes to reroll remains to be seen.

On mortars - I'm sure they are stronger at lower level play, where the speeder vs shooter ratio is vastly different. Mortars are incredibly useless in a speeder dominated meta. But sure, my recent experiences are limited to what a 3400-3900 infamy player experiences, so whether or not mortars are more prevalent (and dominant) at lower infamy play I don't have a viable opinion on. On a general level I will argue that game balance changes should primarily focus on the gameplay where everyone ends up over time. Clearly low level play should be fun, but minor imbalances that are temporary are much better than nerfing a whole subset of weapons to a degree where they might as well not exist. To me (but again with a limited window of experience), I don't see an issue in mortars having a place in lower tiers, they teach people to run a turbo, to prioritise Swift, to never stand still & to avoid clumping up in dangerous places - All of which help prepare players for the gameplay further ahead.

@Climax, - Oskar - and Wishaal like this.
  14. CheekyDevilGod

That people use speeder cause ot gives them a greater chance of winning, an "edge" over the other ships os wrong I believe, not to mention, the game pretty much has an "anti speeder" class called enforcer so calling it the best class is incorrect I believe.

I'm not sure why so many people play speeder but as a speeder myself, although a very bad one, I play it cause every other ship is really slow and annoying to move with and playing with speeder is very fun. I certainly don't play it cause it gives me an edge over other ships but then again I'm mk4.

We should ask the higher level players if speeder truly gives an edge or nay

15. P0rthos

P0rthos Well-Known Member

It does. If you have the reflexes and battlefield sense to use it right. But, thanks to the recent rebalancing, it's less of an edge than ever before and I can live with it.

16. Zombie

Zombie Active Member

had to deal with 2 speeders that run into 4 of us with teslas and torps.... couldn't do anything, before 2nd stun was done i was 0d (mk5 shooter), while they took few to no damage, the encounter ended with the 2 speeders killing the whole squad... seems balanced, rovio pls nerf
    then had to deal with another speeder running around me with blast and torp literaly left me with 500hp after 2hits, (how can a rare torp hit for 2200 i dont get it) while my missiles that were lead ahead of his path, spread behind him ty rng feelsbadman

WarCream and - Oskar - like this.
  17. CheekyDevilGod

It appears that speeders aren't your problem, tesla bolt is, they are annoying. Fun fact, enforcers can use them too but don't cause they can use stuff like launcher and shield. Also you don't have many enforcers to begin with so you aren't annoyed by enforcers that much.

Yes it's very hard to win a match with more speeders than your team, especially when your enforcer, speeder doesn't help counter their speeders, worse when you don't have an enforcer or speeder at all.

I have won very few matches where our team had no speeders,enforcers but their team had 2. I believe it fits in 1 hand.

18. Zombie

Zombie Active Member

speeders are better than enforcers simply because they have the same kit but speeders can reposition way more efficiently thus avoid damage/have way better impact on the fights
    imo enforcers need 1 more weapon slot

Babablacksheep likes this.
  19. Joey who

It is not the boat which is better, but the player

20. guykakin

guykakin Member

I use sniper with 37.5% crit, it can go 10 shots in a row without critting so it is a gamble. Also compared to the blast and common cannon it has a very poor arc, the slightest wave ripple blocks it. I.e. it is not op, please don't nerf it ... If anything needs nerfing it is anything legendary

Moreover I still don't get the nerf thing. I'm only a lonely CN tower chimney sweep so I have little understanding of marketing but why nerf something that people are using? If they are using it they like it... If people aren't using other stuff then make the other stuff better. Does MacDonald's say "hey people are buying too many big macs, let's make it taste like poo so they will start buying more chicken sandwiches"?

Last edited: 12 Aug 2017
    Shadow Moon! and Epekka like this.