1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Meta Snapshot 1/7 [Bigger Boat Patch]

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Kitterini, 1 Jul 2017.

1. Kitterini

Kitterini Well-Known Member

Here is a quick recap of the current top 50 in the world of Battle Bay. Still very early after the last patch, so I reckon that the meta hasn't had enough time to adapt yet, but I'll do another one at some point, so we can see if the patch managed to shake things up abit.

Do note that the leaderboard fluctuates constantly, so it might be slightly different by the time you read this.

Class representation
    31 Speeders [62%]
    9 Shooters [18%]
    4 Defenders [8%]
    3 Enforcers [6%]
    3 Fixers [6%]

Comments:
    - The dominance of the banana boat continues.
    - 4 Defenders is more than usual, perhaps given some time we will see more of them making their way to the top? 4 is still alarmingly low though.
    - Enforcers & Fixers are still lacking representation, if anything there are fewer than usual, I'll resist the urge to comment on why that might be ;)

---
    Weapons
    27 Sniper Cannon
    21 Blast Cannon
    15 Explosive Cannon
    15 Flare Gun
    10 Railgun

10 Missile Launcher
    9 Mine
    9 Big Torpedo
    5 Triple Torpedos
    3 Cannonade

3 Grenade
    2 Big Berta
    2 Cannon
    1 Swift Torpedo
    1 Long Range Mortar

Comments:
    - It seems the Sniper Cannon nerf was in order, time will tell if -7.5% is enough to improve the usage of other weapons.
    - All Flare Guns are run in combination with a cannon of some sorts.
    - Almost all Mines, Missiles Launchers & Railguns are equipped to shooters.
    - Noone is using Standard Mortar, Ballpark Mortar, Napalm Launcher or Fire Bomb. I suppose any kind of mortar is not very useful in an environment that has 60% speeders.

Random info
    7 mk7 boats.
    43 mk6 boats.
    8 Legendary users.
    All 3 Fixers are running Double Pulse+Box.

Last edited: 1 Jul 2017
    iRSS, - Oskar -, Shooter@Bay and 26 others like this.
  2. Johnnieday

Johnnieday Member

And people will still be using speeders.
    It's the most fun ship around. Plain and simple.

Stop whining

3. Wishaal

Wishaal Well-Known Member

Wow, this is a really cool analysis, thanks for sharing the results with us. I do hope there will be less speeders eventually (somehow my boat always atract the speeders)

Even tough sniper canon got nerfed, I'm still using it, I don't have other good weapons :(

4. Wishaal

Wishaal Well-Known Member

Where excactly whas he whining? Are you sure you aren't being a little bit rude here?

iRSS, Shooter@Bay and David Bonaparte like this.
  5. Kitterini

I did try to keep comments factual in the OP. Which one do you think is out of line?
    Suppose I could alter the speeder comment to just say dominate (which we can hardly disagree on?).

iRSS likes this.
  6. Johnnieday

Johnnieday Member

A ship being over powered and a ship being used by so many, is much different.
    It's the players who choose which ship they want to play with.
    Shooter ? Good for weapons and health
    Defender ? Good for heath
    Speeder ? Good for speed. Although the OB affected 3 class of ships. (i'm not talking about FIX, the ONLY player who has a speeder with 11k health. But guess what ? He's slow since he uses shields).

Make a choice, but, when you see YellowOcean being a shooter and doing very very well in nightmare league, you can't say speeder are OP.

Again, we chose speeder for the fun and the rush it provides. That's all.
    But people in low infamy saying : "Ban the speeder", "Nerf the hell out of the speeder", hmm no.
    Try being in open water with low health compared to other ships (again, not talking about FIX. He's a monster), no way to run and no way to outrun missiles, mortars, cannons, etc....
    You won't stand a chance.

AND to add it up, if you time your shots right, you can "easily" shoot down a speeder when it's overboosting. It's harder but manageable.

There are no rights and wrongs. The update failed. That's all there is to it.
    Why do you think all the veterans are leaving ? Nerfing from update to update to update.

The lack of contents plays a role too.

I understand you point of view though. I apologies if it was rude of me but nerfing over and over again, you can understand our disappointments.
    Same for you. You are a fixer, it was nerfed badly (health, OB). You don't like it ? Join us, instead of trying to buff your ship and nerf ours. :)

Melv, LundEAS, StarSRD and 2 others like this.
  7. P0rthos

P0rthos Well-Known Member

Good snapshot Kit. Speeder boat still dominates, though obviously the meta hasn't caught up. I'd be interested to see what it's like next season. I suspect a few more shooters will make it in as tesla shield crushing weapons get more popular.

After the defender getting passed over again, I'm lacking in motivation now to grind into the top 50 this season. Sigh. The time to hang up my captains hat might be coming soon.

8. Kitterini

Aye it will take time for things to adjust - Not many people have a spare set of mk5 epics to bring out and instantly swap boat/weapons.

9. Miathan

Miathan Well-Known Member

Thanks for the write-up, this is very interesting stuff

10. Kalbs

Kalbs Well-Known Member

Is Speeder really the "Meta"? Or is it just in the high infamy range? At 1k-2k range the population is mostly Shooter, like 4/5 in every lineup.
    I used to be a Defender but got bored because of its lack of speed and decided to play Speeder.

I apologize if my reply is a bit hostile, I just don't like calling the Speeder the "meta" because with enough people calling it that, it's bound to get nerfed.

11. Kitterini

Fair points - It should perhaps be labeled endgame meta.

Agreed very much that the speeder dominance is only a mk6+ phenomena.

David Bonaparte, Miathan and Kalbs like this.
  12. RESQMI

RESQMI Active Member

I think that it is quite standard in any PvP games when a lot of players are using a specific item, in this case ship, a balance will come down the road.
    It's just a matter of time I would say.

13. Miathan

Don't underestimate the devs though... they won't nerf a ship just because people on the forums are saying it's the meta. I bet they have a far better idea about what's meta or OP than we do.

Babablacksheep likes this.
  14. Kitterini

"Are saying", seriously?
    At no point in the past months has the top 50 had less than 50% speeders in it -- It's undeniably the defining boat of high infamy playing, that is not necasarily the same as it being overpowered, but arguing that a consistant 50%+ representation is not meta is just silly.
    ---
    The point of this thread is not to scream NERF NERF OP OP -- Its an attempt to provide some numbers, so discussions can be based upon something factual rather than homemade ideas and beliefs. The boat imbalance is so massive, that it naturally catches the attention of everyone though.

Personally I do believe that the average type of player who reaches the peak of any competitive game does consider powerlevel of the various options & pick boat/weapons partly based upon that. I'm not subscribing to the romantic idea that one boat is played by over half because its more ´fun´ than the others. I'd rather discuss numbers than feelings, whats fun for you is not necessarily the same as what is fun for me.

Whether the devs. focus their balancing on endgame or not is a different matter though -- But to be fair it does seem that more shooters & defenders are starting to appear in the top ranks.

---
    I'll do this again towards the end of this season (perhaps tracking over a few days to get some more players into the data set).
    Any ideas for other things that would be interesting to track?

David Bonaparte and xBonk like this.
  15. Miathan

I'm not arguing anything, I wasn't even giving my opinion. I was just saying the devs won't nerf something based only on what forum people are writing.

16. disorder

disorder Active Member

is their a ratio boat/quality of equipment?
    in fact what type of boat use big buyers?
    is it random or fixer/speeder run?

17. TheEpicWarlord

TheEpicWarlord Active Member

NNNNNOOOOO!!!!!

Xenon03 and The Otherguy like this.
  18. TheEpicWarlord

Early game the boats are balanced once they get op weapons and yellows speeders are very powerful but any ship is powerful now enforcer is pretty dead so they shouldn't do a nerf with collateral damage to enforcer such as nerfing yellow items.

19. Battle Bay Scrub

Battle Bay Scrub Member

Small sample size so this doesn't mean anything kappa.

But why do you see so many speeders in high-levels? Doesn't every ship get bigger and slower as you upgrade it? Or is that the reason why and stacking yellows on the fastest ship available will let you run circles around your opponent while they can't aim a single shot.

20. TheEpicWarlord

They have turbos some speeders have shields and over 11000 health I have a friend who is a developer called DMG Don his speeders base speed is 1.7+ plus a over boost that can go 100% speed buff they can go very fast.

dikshift likes this.