1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Maybe the DEVELOPERS could help us understand this?

Discussion in 'Bugs, Issues & Inquiries' started by Lightsoutokyo, 16 Jul 2017.

1. Lightsoutokyo

Lightsoutokyo Member

IMG_4124.PNG Did this little number today,
    first issue: why are the people on the losing team getting stars
    second issue: why are the people on the winning team getting the same exact amount of stars as the people on the losing team
    Final issue which is the weirdest one for me to understand:
    The fixer did the equivalent of 3 to 4 ships worth of healing and got an elimination but still didn't get two stars

The Otherguy likes this.
  2. Kitterini

Kitterini Well-Known Member

We surely need more threads on this topic!

First and second issues: 1 star is for winning, 1 star is for contributing above average and 1 star is for contributing above twice the average.
    Whatever the secret sause looks at judged one guy on your team and 3 guys on their team as having contributed above average.

Are you asking for a system in which loosing is a guaranteed 0 stars? If not, then what?
    ---
    Final issue: While the secret sauce is secret, here are some observations;
    - Killing blows does not count for much (If anything at all).
    - Selfhealing is also not worth much (if anything). Sadly you used a screenshot with selfhealing included, which make it impossible to see how much is teamhealing and how much is tape.

We can agree that trying to understand how to score stars as a Fixer is difficult. But I have just as many games that give me more stars than expected as the other way around. Fixers are in a good place star-wise, almost always getting 2* on wins and often managing 1* on losses. Remember to focus on the positives also!

Some tips for getting more stars;
    - Find a replacement for Duct Tape and get used to surviving without it. Selfhealing is not the way to get stars.
    - Consider trying a different controling weapon, perhaps Napalm or Firebomb.

The Otherguy likes this.
  3. Biffter

Biffter Active Member

Hi Kitterini.. you're obviously very knowledgeable about this game..and I've learnt a thing or 2 from you..
    But pleeeeease.. it's "lose" and "losing"

Kitterini likes this.
  4. Lightsoutokyo

Lightsoutokyo Member

You say "above average profoemance" but what does that even mean!?
    Is it damage?
    Is it healing others?
    As a fixer it's impossible to do the same damage as anybody on the team since you have one or two weapons
    If it's healing.. I've made posts where I did well above "average" but still only received one star
    So when you throw out theses terms, please like "above average" and "twice above average" define the perameters so people who arent familiar can understand
    For example if I'm the only fixer in the game, do I only get averaged against myself?
    Does the formula take into consideration the fact that fixers get 1/2-1/4 the amount of firepower?
    Help me understand

5. Lightsoutokyo

Lightsoutokyo Member

IMG_4127.PNG
    Just an example of what I'm trying to get understood

Now please feel free to explain that stars are pretty much only based on damage l, let's just be open and honest about it
    Because the fact is my team wouldn't have won if I wasn't there to heal them but I don't get compensated for that, I get compensated only because my team just won and this is a VERY common theme, it's cool,.... I only kept the team alive IMG_4127.PNG

6. Kitterini

I like my women loose, what can I say? :)
    ---
    As for the actual topic:
    Apart from the devs noone knows the Formula behind contribution. The closest Miika has come was saying that " it has to lead to something ", which you can interpreter in many ways :)

Fx; Applying a burn effect only gives a bonus if someone actually hits with a Cannon that benefits from the target being on fire. Or, applying frost count for more if the target gets hit while frozen.
    For us fixers he did say that healing an afk guy who doesnt actively take part in the fight is worth nothing; so I reckon that the performance of those you heal are factored in somehow.

But its complicated and my best advice would be to just play and dont worry about it. After 5k games of being a Fixer I can assure you that we get enough stars on average. And sometimes we get 3*, even in odd cases like this one;
    Screenshot_20170717-172722.png

7. Biffter

Biffter Active Member

Fair comment..who doesn't?
    Happy Battling.

8. Lightsoutokyo

Lightsoutokyo Member

I'm just wondering what was so special about what the fixer did on the other team that was above average it deserve two stars
    Since we know that stars are done for a win for above average performance and then a double above average of performance
    What is the explanation for this one?
    IMG_4152.PNG

9. Kitterini

He has slightly more healing and damage, Id think the breaking point is pretty close to both of you & he just got passed it, while you didn't.

10. Joey who

Joey who Well-Known Member

@first screenshot

They most likely got you beat because of their incendiary items. (Firebombs and flare guns). Those give them extra contribution points that don't show there. And you might have gotten tons of self healing which makes your healing number look way more than you healed others for

11. Lightsoutokyo

Lightsoutokyo Member

This is what I'm trying to get at there is no real definition of what average is, or what above average is or what double above average is because as far as the star system it just seems quite random The other fixer and I I are basically average with healing and as far as damage go we are both below average so why would somebody like that get two stars and he didn't have any incendiary weapons or assistive weapons/ Tesla bolts or frost weapons,

12. SunlightDuck

SunlightDuck Active Member

Krusty Krab Keeper
    They have ways of calculating it... but us players will never know unless some addict is actually using the time to calculate and analyze it:p:p:p

13. ElatedTrout912

ElatedTrout912 New Member

I also cannot understand why Fixers don't get proper credit. It's blatantly obvious that they prioritize damage dealt over damage healed. It's absolutely ridiculous. Look at the numbers I'm putting up with a MK4! Combined I dealt and healed more damage than the guy who got 3 stars, and I get one?!

Had I not been keeping him alive he would not have been able to have that damage output, yet he gets rewarded and I do not. Oh and I never use tape.. so please explain this when you got 3 stars on a MK5 for lower numbers.

14. ElatedTrout912

ElatedTrout912 New Member

Sorry this was the screen shot I meant to upload. It wouldn't let me edit the previous post.

Attached Files:

15. Lightsoutokyo

Lightsoutokyo Member

There are definitely inconsistencies in the math
    It's like the fixer is looked at as an add on nuisance, if you're going to treat your creation this way why even put it in the game at all ?
    Nothing will get done/revealed/explained if we don't ask and keep asking with examples
    Some people say it takes 7 to 8 games for them to get 15 stars, it literally takes me 20-30 games to get that, and with that added bonus having green items that aren't often available in the market, the setup for a fixer seems quite uphil

16. Kitterini

Hold up! Do you think they added a randomization factor to the star calculation? ;)

You not knowing/understanding the formula does not equate it being inconsistent.

The Otherguy likes this.
  17. Lightsoutokyo

Lightsoutokyo Member

"Random" is quite the very literal term for what it feels like happens when stars are awarded
    As for me knowing or understanding the "formula" I got to say I don't think there's one of us out there that is playing this game that knows for sure
    I'm just trying to understand it so I can focus on those things to and you better player in the eyes of BB developers and improve my place in this game

18. Miika

Miika Game Lead

The main contribution factor for fixers come from when they give health to players who contribute. This means not all hp healed are equal. If you try to keep an afk alive in a corner or spam heal after the battle is basically over you might end up getting a lot of healing which doesn't really contribute to the end result so you don't get anything from them.

The whole reason for the sauce to be secret is that players should be concentrating how to maximize wins, not to game the system for personal gain. And in the end, the 50% winning bonus to rewards is still most important.

behumble likes this.
  19. behumble

behumble Well-Known Member

Yes, that is exactly what I want to be able to do, maximize wins!
    And for me, cannon is the best weapon for my fixer, but your secret sauce doesnt think so
    I have tried torp, fire bomb, other cannons, but standard is just unbeatable in reliability
    However, almost all of my wins were 1 star, and rarely rarely would i get a 3 star.
    At this point, its slowed my progress considerably. i rely on the chance of rares, but opening one star crate a day vs 5 is just not working.

A little bit ago, @Helius Maximus convinced me to use firebomb
    It worked, ive been getting at least two stars every win, and 3 stars is becoming more common as well!
    However, slowly but surely have been losing infamy, despite getting more stars.
    I need stars to progress, so i will stick with firebomb, buts its a bummer

Honestly, its fine, im tired of complaining about it. but at least the fact fire dmg (and the fact it helps others with fire perks, continously does dmg, etc) is a big part of the secret sauce is plain to see. Im pretty sure others realize it too, because i have seen a great increase in fire weapons among all ships lately.

Last edited: 21 Jul 2017
    Helius Maximus likes this.