1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Matchmaking (or the lack thereof)

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by hypurr, 25 May 2017.

1. D3X

D3X Well-Known Member

Actually. That's not proving the system wrong, he just hasn't peaked yet(maybe he's approaching peak?). He just started and although it seems he's a great fixer player, he'll run into that infamy wall soon enough where individual skill clashes with players with better gear. He will level out to 50%.

My rule of thumb is, tell me what your ratio is after 2000 games.

Last edited: 29 May 2017
  2. SharkTank

SharkTank Active Member

But the admin on this site has said they designed to keep everyone as close to 50% as possible. Hence why 95% of the players are between 50 and 60% win rate.

3. rlxgenerate

rlxgenerate Active Member

@D3X - No, I'm not in the ace/nightmare league, so I truly cannot vouch for whether gear > skill.
    I can say for a fact that if a team manages to work together and realize the same goal together, it is possible. Yes, a mk3 fixer with a t1 cannon going up against a mk4 defender with 4-5k hp will lose...I get that...But if you take 10 players, give each team the same boat, gear, and no infamy...and pegged them up against each other...the more skillful team will win.
    It's unfortunate that when you take on a team, you truly are going in blind because the "mk" of the ship only tells the "prelude" of the story and the meat is hidden.
    No matter what game you play...fps, rpg, moba...skill will always outweigh gear. I'm not saying gear isn't important and doesn't play a role...but I'd take a skilled player w/ average gear any day over a mediocre player with awesome gear.

4. D3X

D3X Well-Known Member

I think this is where PC/Console games differ. As a Freemium mobile game with IAP induced RNG system, it's a different level of gear. Legendaries and very high level Epics deal a fearful amount of damage against you, even if the player has great skills and able to land hits, you really need to deal damage almost 3:1 or 2:1 at the very least to break even. And don't forget their defence gear too, which is likely more superior to yours. As an individual player especially those not with deep pockets, there's only so far skill can take you, and you reflect on your weapons/gear more often than not. When you move up in infamy, the skill level increases too, so everyone has experience and this is where the gap lessens when it comes to skill, and where the gear widens.

5. Miathan

Miathan Well-Known Member

That would not be fun. If they matched you against opponents with equal ship power, there would be zero point in ever doing any upgrades. Every slight improvement would match you against enemies that also have that slight improvement, making your hard earned item level ups completely meaningless.

6. D3X

D3X Well-Known Member

This is sort of what's in place now. Winning doesn't equate to fun. What's fun is the challenge and who you play with. What makes it meaningful is able to climb the ladder to higher infamy.

7. Miathan

No, that's not what's in place now... I was describing matchmaking based on ship power, which is what "behumble" seemed to want.

8. rlxgenerate

@D3X I agree that the challenge is climbing the infamy "ladder". Within a couple of hours playing, the fun of the game goes away and the push to win overtakes the will to "play".
    I see your point about weapons being powerful and taking over as gear > skill.

9. rlxgenerate

@Miathan Yes, the MM system could use some tweeking. I don't think it's necessarily broken...but the fact that someone could have a mk5, lose a ton of infamy and get matched up against mk2/3...isn't right. so i agree, there are some issues but overall, i think it's truly fine.

10. Miathan

I think it's perfect the way it is. If infamy dropping on purpose is a problem, then they should address that (by finally putting in some anti-AFK measures, for example), but the matchmaker does not need adjusting for that.

11. hypurr

hypurr New Member

Nope. I can't win against an mk3 with a t2 epic blast cannon, they just tank and squash

12. rlxgenerate

Then change your set up. If you're getting matched up against people with the same boat or maybe 1 higher, similar hp, and similar infamy...and you're getting squashed...then change how you play.
    Change you play style, change your ship, change your set up. get advice. watch videos on how others play the game.
    There are things you can do other than complain and if you've done those things, then something isn't working.
    I realized that I'm not a good fixer even though I like playing fixer...so went back to shooter, changed up my weapons, upgraded a few things, and I'm almost at 1400 infamy from the upper 600's...
    It's possible but it starts with a reflection on you and your style. There are plenty of ways to play this game.
    Just enjoy it.

13. Steven

Steven Active Member

Try playing as a speeder with 1800 go against shooters with 3-4k hp and defenders with 6-8k hp....and I still get the top damage from time to time....in the words of Arnold Schwarzenegger " STOP WHINNING"

TheRedSpeeder likes this.
  14. Miathan

And this is perfectly fine. Because if you complete the analogy, it means that your cat has won so many chess matches that he defeated all the lower ranking chess players, so that he rose so much in ratings that he got matched with the top. Even if he is now bound to lose, the cat is still in the right place. He earned himself that match by being good enough to get there.

This is how any competitive system works. You get matched against stronger and stronger opponents as you keep winning, until you finally meet some that you can't win against. The better you are, the longer you progress onwards so the stronger your opponents will become. Nothing wrong with that.

Instead of whining about poor matchmaking, be proud that you got so high that enemies need stronger stuff to play against you. That's the most satisfaction a competitive game can give you.

monobrow likes this.
  15. MrGuPe

MrGuPe New Member

There is some algorithms to it, easy get from 1300 to 1700 and then suddenly without changing anything you get in losser team game after game and get back to begining, haven't tried it yet what if will stop at high inf and fight next day, but somehow this system really sucks

16. monobrow

monobrow Well-Known Member

In that example, 1700 is the skill / gear ceiling and the drop down is you tilting off the losses. When you get on a lose streak,stop. Go back later.

I have had 15 win streaks+ and i can assure you if I go down to 500 inf, ill win 100% of games till 1000. Where the is the conspiracy there?

Seriously, there is no conspiracy, you guys losing are just reaching your limit

17. TheRedSpeeder

TheRedSpeeder Well-Known Member

The better you play the harder the matches goes and it starts to place you to that position where was your team's carrier before you. Now you will be the carrier and it seems you haven't get a team that supports you as well as the earlier carrier's team supported him, you see.
    Stoping won't help to matchmaking BUT keeping a break over night or so will help yourself to learn what you did right and wrong and maybe make you a bit better that way so you can carry your team with that skill you obtained. Also break can help you clear your pressure about winning and then the game is more fun and you will play more relaxed which usually helps you win games.

You also would need better items to be in higher leagues so you have to upgrade them before getting your average infamy to the next level. Changing gear up or ship can also help.

Cheers :cool:

rlxgenerate likes this.
  18. rlxgenerate

Dude...you do realize that this game is...WORLDWIDE!!!!
    You will CONTINUOUSLY play against a constantly changing META!!!!
    If you get on a losing streak, like mentioned, STOP!!!!
    Get on a different ship, change your gear, or let the META cool down and get back on!!!!

As players around the world come in game and leave, the META is fluctuating. You may play against a lot of shooters and in 30 minutes, speeders.
    It's constantly changing and you need to be able to constantly change with it or deal with the ups and downs of playing against real life players.

TheRedSpeeder likes this.
  19. MrGuPe

MrGuPe New Member

Your real troll following every single comment i post and crticise it, get a life and stop spam your criticism

20. TheRedSpeeder

TheRedSpeeder Well-Known Member

Troll or not, he tells you how the situation is so like it or not, deal with it.
    That he follows you, I can't say anything about that but the comment you quated tells everything what you needed to know about solving/clearing your problem out.
    -> So that comment isn't any kind of spam as you claim.

CrizR and rlxgenerate like this.