1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Matchmaking disparity, why it's worse than you think

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by kylek33, 19 Apr 2017.

1. kylek33

kylek33 Member

There's always been some disparity in matchmaking, it's nothing new. The devs allow it to decrease matching times, and whether you agree with it or not that's just the way it is. We all know that infamy is the sole factor used for matchmaking so it's very disconcerting when we see more than a gap of 1000 infamy between the top and bottom players on a team. It's such a simple system that there's no hiding the fact that there is no one else available. It is happening more and more and with greater disparity than I've ever seen. I played a match earlier where the disparity was 2000! That's absolutely ridiculous. Thinkgaming.com estimates battle bay is downloaded 1,584 times daily so there are new people coming in but that's just counting downloads, it doesn't reflect how much they play or if they play at all. Has the new system really caused an exodus from the game? I'm not willing to shell out the $300/mo subscription fee to find out so I can only speculate but I suspect the traffic numbers aren't as good as they were before the update, especially among those who joined under the old system. Rovio and the battle bay development team have those numbers and it would be interesting to see them posted here.

These high disparities lead me to the conclusion that people are playing less now than they were before the last update. They're losing people's interest and the game hasn't even launched worldwide yet. Will they gain a bunch of players when they go global? Of course they will but their ability to retain those new players is questionable. The in-battle game play hasn't changed much, it's still fantastic, but it's now the only reason to play the game and without the payoff of constantly upgrading both items you are using and items you plan to use later it might not be enough. The enthusiasm is gone. The thrill of finding that item you were waiting and saving for in the shop is gone. The anticipation and the joy have been sucked out of the game and replaced with the hollow experience of a slow grind. Sadly, unless this trend is reversed, this game will be dead on arrival.

Jammo and Bomby McBombface like this.
  2. Bomby McBombface

Bomby McBombface Member

Director of Astronautical Engineering
    You bring up very good points.

In regards to the matchmaking vs player activity:
    Before the update, I found MM to be quite balanced and consistent, at mk2 I played games vs mk2/mk3 sometimes the odd mk4. After this recent update I play matches with everyone from mk1 to mk6 and infamy gaps of +/- 5000 for everyone, the games are so unfairly balanced that they are the prime recipe for dissatisfaction. As a result of that, people play less contributing to that MM dynamic happening more.
    Like you Kyle, I play War Robots, I brought 15 members from my clan over to start our BB guild, only 2 are left after the changes...

From my perspective, rectifying that issue, testing out team & guild squadding with a smaller player base already knowledgeable about the game, and modifying the shop & upgrade/evolution process before global release would be a primary factor to maintaining player growth & sustainability after a ton of new players come onboard. When you see a game has been out for a year but is riddled with issues that affect customer satisfaction & playability, you'll leave instead of remain and you'll drop game ratings. Which in turn affects profit.

kylek33 likes this.
  3. kylek33

kylek33 Member

Yep, it should be polished before global release but the devs seem to think going global will solve their problems. It will bring in new players and it may help for a time but that's a one time deal and if they can't retain the new players they won't get another shot at it. But we don't know what corporate pressures they're under, they're certainly burning capital (thinkgaming.com estimates bb is earning just $256/day in revenue) and the company won't allow that to go on forever. Maybe the push to go global is a risky venture but it may also be the only way to save the game from being shut down.

Bomby McBombface likes this.
  4. Gillion

Gillion Member

Do we really need another thread about this? I feel everything said here has been said in multiple other threads and this one adds no new value to the discussion.

5. kylek33

kylek33 Member

Can you please point me to the thread about the game dying because that's what it's about. Disparity has been talked about but it's just a symptom of the bigger issue and that's what I'm pointing out. Maybe you didn't read it all the way through or didn't understand it because saying it's all been said before is BS

Bomby McBombface likes this.
  6. Bomby McBombface

Bomby McBombface Member

I think it was just said, but:

The OP was discussing a different aspect from the oft discussed subject matter, actually reading, or comprehending before slagging off, might work better for you.

kylek33 likes this.
  7. Miika

Miika Game Lead

Do you actually have a constructive point with this thread, or are you just one of those persons who enjoys destructively running around saying that the sky is falling? If you do then lets discuss. If you don't then could you at least contain your pessimistic theories in one thread instead of spreading them out to every thread on the forum? Thanks you.

Luckily any of the theories you have been throwing around in multiple threads have no truth in them whatsoever. Statistics wise the update has been pretty much a non-event. There is no drop in new players, daily active players, play time, battles per day, revenue, or any other metrics that have been thrown around here.

In fact, we have actually seen a pretty significant improvements on some of the areas we wanted to improve with this update. For example the amount of new players who understands the item upgrading after the tutorial have pretty much doubled which was one of the original design goals.

Well, at least the thinkgaming.com estimates you are spreading are funny (to us) because they are not hitting even the right ballpark with *any* of their figures. If you really want to get burn $300/mo feel free to send them to me also and I'll send you back some random numbers, you would be just as well served apparently. :D

Obviously a hyperbole but just for those who care about the facts: There are hard caps in the matchmaker and anything even nearly like this can not even happen.

8. Bomby McBombface

Bomby McBombface Member

Yet they have happened, matches with player & infamy level differences as I stated have happened in a number of games I've been in. I haven't recorded these games in a while, but I'll be happy to as confirmation, more than a few in my guild have had the same experiences.