1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Let’s talk about crits...

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by nosesabe, 14 Mar 2018.

1. nosesabe

nosesabe Well-Known Member

Imagine for one second that none of the game’s weapons could deal critical damage.
    A game that would reward skilled players much much more than pure luck.

Currently, almost all weapons in battle bay can deal critical damage. This extra damage is random and desproporcionated. Critical damage favors luck and randomness over skill and even level, but let’s be honest... We all love that kick of dopamine when we see that exclamation sign on top of the enemy❗️

Now, not all critical damage is unjustified. In my opinion, the extra damage that we can deal through skill while using mortars is fair and not excessive. But cannons...

I could put many examples of situations where critical damage dealt by cannons was unfair and disproportionated, specially when more than 1 shot in a row deals critical damage, but I think you all have experienced those situations.

My idea is simple, don’t eliminate critical damage but reduce considerably the amount of damage that can cause, specially on cannons.

Weapons that can deal randomly +2500 (ex), +2000 (bc), +1000 (cannon) or +1700 (sc) damage points per shot are unbalanced.

A critical shot can change the outcome of a game from loosing to winning. In a game like that, that win had nothing to do with skill, it was all luck. (Ex: A critical shot from a explosive cannon kills a fixer that had 2100 hp. That’s perfectly possible.)

I truly think it would be a positive change.

wreck your day, Kosta and PastelPiku like this.
  2. Blood Raven

Blood Raven Well-Known Member

Software Developer
    Sounds good. Always support skill than luck.

PastelPiku and nosesabe like this.
  3. CaffeinatedChris

CaffeinatedChris MVP

While I don't think the luck-based crits will change, what if there was instead more of a skill-based system? For example, Sniper damage increases with each consecutive hit and resets if you miss. Explosive and Blast will do "mini-crits" if you hit the rear of a ship. Or perhaps a bullseye target on the ship that serves as its weak point and you can only trigger a crit with any cannon by hitting it precisely with a well-aimed shot?

(Sidebar: Good games tonight. And sometimes it's the Fixer who crits for 2300+ and blows up a Defender. ;) )

4. PastelPiku

PastelPiku Well-Known Member

Security
    I think all torps should have their splash damage reduced but give the direct hits flood damage over 5-10 seconds. It'd be like a mortar bullseye with a torpedo, but since their damage is already massive it'd be better over time like a grenade crit.

Hokuse likes this.
  5. PastelPiku

PastelPiku Well-Known Member

Security
    "no one expects the spanish inquisition"

nosesabe likes this.
  6. Kosta

Kosta Member

good idea..I wrote a similar idea and dev deleted my post..i think that dev know that but thay is to lazy to change something bad to good

7. nosesabe

nosesabe Well-Known Member

Im was thinking this specially for the 4 cannons. It would make the game more diverse and strong damage is anoying :) I hope devs give it a look

8. Hokuse

Hokuse Well-Known Member

You right, when a successful crit on explosive or blast cannon can change the fate of the game. I think crit should be removed from all weapons except sniper and maybe standart cannon but rates of weapon damages should be increased -%25/+%25. That will be much better than instead 3-4k.

Kosta likes this.