1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

League rewards - Event rewards

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Nicolas, 13 Aug 2018.

1. Ash KOT

Ash KOT MVP

Skill is a big factor, and so is gear.
    To get to top 10 global you absolutely need both.

The point I was trying to make is the roadblock now sitting at lower infamy.
    Like I say if I was manually adjusted to 3500 infamy, I believe I would stay there, I dont believe I would drop back to 2300 but this is just speculation.

Every game I enter is 10 x MK6 boats, and most will have T5 epics.
    It has been mentioned that with enough skill you can beat them in a MK5 boat, and rare gear, and I am saying I dont believe it.

The problem has probably started at NML and fed all the way down the chain and is continuing to spiral.
    The people in the MK5 ships with T3 epics and T4 rares can no longer get into ace.
    So they are sitting at 2000 infamy but still upgrading ships, weapons and training etc, eventually they will also be MK6 with T5 epics.
    Then the warrior league players will be stuck under them, and will be forced to stay at a low infamy whilst they upgrade their stuff.
    In 12 months you will see every league full of MK7 and T5 epics with nowhere to go as the entire game becomes infamy locked.

2. Ash KOT

Ash KOT MVP

That is a perfect explanation for the current situation, well said Chris.

PastelPiku, Aether_Zero and Nicolas like this.
  3. Nicolas

Nicolas Well-Known Member

we should get more leagues
    Reason: The current infamy reset is 4000. All people above this infamy go back to 4000 in the next season. This system was made when the game was launched, so there weren't much players yet. Today there are around 23k active players. Example:" If u have an Hotel containing 200 Rooms u can't serve 1000 customers. We need bigger hotel to be able to serve more people." Similarly, if u want more people to play this game u need to give them a larger field, higher goals to achieve. Higher infamy ceiling will give people more reasons to keep playing. Hence, Nightmare players will go up more which will give more rooms for ace players to improve their infamy. Similarly, all players will be happy with the new system because infamy is increasing. In business, players will spend and invest more in this game, and the game will become more popular.

4. Help I Cant Swim

Help I Cant Swim MVP

I'm not going to read all of these posts. I just don't have time.. All I will say is that I have directly suggested to the devs many months ago that the rewards need to scale with infamy and that leagues need to be totally reworked. So I 100% agree with you. I've got absolutely no reason to gain more than 4000 infamy. Events have even more screwed up the "rewards-creep".... similar to the dreaded "power-creep" in most progression games, we now have a creeping of rewards becoming easier and easier to obtain. Every new thing in BB introduces easier and easier rewards. Seasons -> Rivalries -> Achievements -> Events... what's next?

5. Ash KOT

Ash KOT MVP

Nice way to put it.
    This is the problem we have right now.
    The hotel is full and there are thousands of guests banging on the door.
    The guests outside cant get in, and the guests inside have nowhere to go and we are all getting stuck!

6. Stelmo

Stelmo Well-Known Member

Haha 50% win rate isn't a new thing, and there are still mk5's with rare gear climbing the ranks to 4k..
    Stop making excuses on the forum and play more, that's the way to do it.

SlayerofSergeants and Nicolas like this.
  7. Nicolas

Nicolas Well-Known Member

I carried some mk5 ships (mostly fixers) with rare gear to nightmare league in the previous month. However, they are demoted to ace now.
    Some good players with legendary gear might find it difficult to face ppl who were 1k+ infamy above them few hours ago in the previous season.
    ppl have the ability to reach nightmare league, but they don't have the skills to stay in nightmare league.
    (Mainly because of the infamy reset system)
    I always recommend that new nightmare players should avoid playing in the first few days of the season. They should wait for high infamy ppl to get back to 5k.

8. Stelmo

Stelmo Well-Known Member

At least they aren't just sitting at 2k infamy making false excuses with an official looking banner on their name though ;)
    That sort of thing is detrimental to the game and shouldn't be tolerated if you ask me.

Start of season is definitely rough for new nightmares though, and ace players too.

Nicolas and Djradnad like this.
  9. YerJokinArnYer

YerJokinArnYer MVP

What I have seen is that the good players are consistent. It doesn’t matter what map they’re on. It doesn’t matter what types of ships they face. They deliver most of the time.

Lower infamy players with high gear scores perhaps need to improve on that consistency, because they are certainly able to produce big performances. To find a way to be consistently effective against all opponents on all maps is key. Some of that is about tactics and some it is about gear choice.

10. CaffeinatedChris

CaffeinatedChris MVP

That's disingenuous and you know it. You've been playing long enough to have seen the impact of "gear score inflation" and were likely around for the initial Nightmare league raise from 3500->4K, so knock off the thinly-veiled personal attacks.

11. envylife

envylife Well-Known Member

Yes. Without doing this Battle Bay is polluting Ace and Master leagues with OP players, for whatever reason they are there. I can tell you for certain it's already tough to tell the difference between 3300 and 2600 Infamy as both are filled with T5 Epic players and MK7 boats. To hear that Players with multiple T5 Epics are struggling at 2000 as well is disheartening... not only to existing, but also to new players trying to climb into and through that mess.

There does need to be more to Battle Bay than grind-for-gear. That only lasts so long. Events are a good start, but obviously more is needed.

BattleRascal and ShipCrusherCz like this.
  12. envylife

envylife Well-Known Member

It's sort of necessary though. I've been playing this game for 16 months, and I still don't have a T5 Epic Weapon to put on a boat. RNG can be an unreasonable progression system if there are too many items and not enough ways to get them

The other thing is this: once you have a full set of T5 Epics. what's the next goal? Legendaries I suppose. What after that? We already have players maxing out Legendaries... they need something fun and entertaining to do beyond the battle grind. In other words, while I'm hearing NML players say they need better scaled rewards, I have to ask.. for what?

13. Cpt Obvious

Cpt Obvious Well-Known Member

While I agree this would be a fun experiment, I do not think it would work in your favor at all. It might take 500 matches, but you would be squarely back a where you started :)

The infamy system is sort of like a set point system, it actively tries to rank you in strength compared to all other players. It slowly nudges you in a direction based on your “performance” (skill/gear/ability to cooperate). This takes time.

Yes, you would surely win some matches at your new jumped to infamy, just as you’ve won events or custom matches against these higher ranked players. If you didn’t look at infamy you would probably even feel like you had ~50% wins.

The system does however not work with single matches - nor does it work with tens of matches - it works with hundreds or thousands. It works through the law of big numbers. If you want to know more about this, I recommend you read about ELO and Glicko-2.

If you plateau (short term) it means you’ve reached your true rank in RELATION to everyone else.

If you keep staying plataued over long time, and most other players do too (as I believe is the case these days sadly), it means that:
    1. Your gear isn’t improving in RELATION to everyone else. And why wouldn’t it? We all gain items as roughly the same rate unless you pay or grind manically at events..
    2. Your skill isn’t improving in RELATION to everyone else. (Yes, your skill is probably improving over time, but so do the skill of the rest of the bay.. we’re all humans, most of us are average.)
    3. The distribution of players on the infamy ladder is static. The force pushing you from behind (low infamy players grinding bots) is not changing in RELATION to the force keeping you down (nightmare players who are reset every 14 days)
    So, how can we fix this, so that you @Ash KOT (and the other people of the bay) feel like they’re making progress again?

There would need to be a change in the infamy “forces”. You have to either:
    • Increase the “pressure” from below. This means you need new players. More producers of infamy.
    • Decrease the “pressure” from above. Less consumers of infamy. This means nightmare players have to quit at a faster rate than they do today. You could also raise the roof (new higher nightmare league), but it simply changes the interval from top to bottom, not the distribution. It will probably be a welcome change even if you’ll get stuck again at a slightly higher inf.
    While the game is already doing a good job of making older players quit - the stale infamy ladder really means that the game is not growing. It’s actually a very bad sign for the game.

We need more new players in the bay!

Last edited: 14 Aug 2018
  14. xArrogance

xArrogance Well-Known Member

Well put.

15. Shadow Moon!

Shadow Moon! Well-Known Member

tenor.gif

16. xArrogance

xArrogance Well-Known Member

The NML league reward is the only place I get legendary parts, since I rarely get them from raffles or scrapping - so there's definitely value in that.

But, I do agree that increased rewards for the top 100, 50, 25, and 10 of NML finishers would encourage people to push higher.

For me, I'll naturally hit the top 100 (completing personal quests) but there's little reason to push higher since I know I won't hit the top 3 spots.

Although, I do think the parts boxes for events should also be changed up a bit too. Rather than offering rare power cells and common parts, they should offer legendary parts and cells - even 3 parts and 1 cell would make those boxes somewhat tempting.

17. FearsomeChicken

FearsomeChicken Well-Known Member

But there will be no increase in new players, mainly because of the nightmare reset which keeps cramping a population of senior players in the same 'hotel' as newbies. The seniors are growing their gearscore each month, pushing more and more op gear and mk7 ships down the infamy ladder, till they sealclub newbies.

The solution would be to FIRST increase nightmare reset, make it reset to 5,000 or higher. This gives more breathing room for newbies so that they won't get 1 shotted immediately after they graduated from fighting bots. Make the newbies less strained, then more will come from word of mouth.

Also, for the love of god, introduce better infamy tiered rewards, so that sealclubbers won't bully newbies anymore.

18. Cpt Obvious

Cpt Obvious Well-Known Member

I think just increasing NM reset will have much less of an (real) effect than what many of you think :)

Infamy is a measure of how “strong” you are compared to the others. The number in itself is meaningless. Say infamy spanned from 0 to 1, and you had 0.5 infamy, it’s exactly the same as if infamy spanned from 0 to 4000 and you having 2000 infamy.

If you have 2000 infamy, reset is currently 4000, and we move reset to 5000. Then after a season++ or so your new infamy would stabilize on (2000/4000)*5000 = 2500. Your guild mate who had 3000 would become 3750. Your other guild mate who had 1500 would now be 1875.

Only the number changes, it’s meaning (or strength relationship) stays almost exactly the same :)

If infamy was a stick, and we made the stick slightly longer, the people who were just above you on the stick, the ones who just one-shot you, they’ll still be just above you. You’ll still be matched with them, because matchmaking is elastic, matchmaking relaxes the infamy constraints over time, to ensure that you get matches. That’s why 5k players who wait a long time in the queue finally gets matches with 3kers when there are no closer players to match them with.

Did I manage to make any sense? :p

Last edited: 14 Aug 2018
  19. FearsomeChicken

FearsomeChicken Well-Known Member

I catch your drift perfectly, infamy is just a relative number. But what will happen when u stretch that number to reset at 10,000 (extreme example)? Each match consumes/gives +24 infamy on average, so this will allow newbies many more good battles among themselves before they are sealclubbed by the senior noobs. This is what I call "breathing space". Nightmare reset was once at 3.5k long long ago, there must be good wisdom for them to get it to 4k during that time, they just have to increase it again.

20. CaffeinatedChris

CaffeinatedChris MVP

Plenty, but you're missing a little bit here:

They don't have to quit, they just have to get less infamy chopped off every two weeks by the reset, which is what the split into Nightmare III through I with 4000/4500/5000 reset points would do. That takes a significant amount of the top-down pressure away, because the player at 6000 pre-reset is no longer going to chew up that +2000 from 4K players, but instead take it out of the 5K players. The metaphorical "food chain" of the stronger players eating the weaker ones remains yes, but the beast is less hungry, and their "prey" has a better chance to fight back. ;)