1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Item scrolling suggestion

Discussion in 'Bugs, Issues & Inquiries' started by envylife, 31 Aug 2017.

1. envylife

envylife Well-Known Member

My biggest pet peeve with this game is the item scrolling. If you have more than one page of items, the way to scrolling is to put your finger in the list and move it up or down, at which point you have 50/50 shot of grabbing an item vs scrolling, so if you actually want to scroll but you have an item you have to put the item back and keep trying until it grabs.

I noticed that I started using sideways movements to move items, which is a 100% guarantee, at which point I realized that up/down movements should be a 100% guarantee to scroll, that way both item movement and scrolling work 100% on a single gesture rather than a roll of the dice. I'd highly recommend to do this... a better option than adding a scrollbar

2. envylife

Crickets? I can't be the only one where this is an issue EVERY time I try to scroll my items.

3. envylife

As a quick followup, I noticed it is possible to scroll with two fingers... In that case I would recommend that single finger movement is always item movement, but never scrolling. If everyone still wants single finger scrolling, I would reiterate that up/down with a single finger should never result in item movement. The whole thing as it works now is just not deterministic enough for a good UI experience.

Crashedup and retryW like this.
  4. retryW

retryW Well-Known Member

Good thread. I have this issue too. Use the horizontal movement trick for moving items perfectly too. Didn't know about the double finger scroll, cheers for the info!

5. envylife

While the two finger scroll has better odds, I've unfortunately found that it requires two fingers down EXACTLY simultaneous with each other... if not you have a very good chance of picking up two items at once! It's so awkward.

6. Miika

Miika Game Lead

How the system works currently is that if your inventory fits into one screen then you can only drag items. When the inventory grows long enough to require scrolling then it is made scrollable. Because you need to be able to both scroll the inventory and drag items it detects the direction where you start dragging your finger. Horizontal drag means dragging the item, and vertical draw means scrolling the list.

However, as you have noticed the movement direction detection is not foolproof because touch screens are a bit inaccurate, especially at the initial touch when you put your finger down.

Crashedup and retryW like this.
  7. retryW

retryW Well-Known Member

Ahhh nice to know. I'll just have to work more on having a perfectly straight scroll then.
    When you say vertical draw vs horizontal, I assume you are already calculating that based on anything within 45 degrees of a vertical plane is counted as vertical, and anything withing 45* of the horizontal plane is counted as horizontal?
    If not, is it possible to have it coded that way to give a little more leeway for scrolling?

8. Miika

Miika Game Lead

Yup, it’s exactly like that. There is a small threshold in distance how long it waits until it determines which was the direction. On PC with mouse cursor there is never any issue detecting the direction but on certain mobile devices when you put your finder down on the screen the touch point might be doing all kinds of small weird movement under your finger fooling the detection. If the threshold is increased then there starts to appear an annoying lag that nothing happens at first when you start dragging because it does not know yet what you are doing.

retryW likes this.
  9. retryW

retryW Well-Known Member

Mmmmk fair enough. I'm a game dev myself (less successful) so I get what you mean. I guess it doesn't help that I have huge hands / fat fingers that are slightly sweaty most of the time (eww)

10. Miika

Miika Game Lead

Yeah that might make it more difficult yes. If you don’t mind me asking, which device are you playing with? I’ve noticed that the smaller the screen size the more unreliable the direction detection is.

11. retryW

retryW Well-Known Member

Using a Samsung Galaxy S7, so fairly large-ish screen for a phone (but from what I gather a lot of people play on tablets)

12. envylife

To reiterate, the scrolling issue is the same for me whether on tablet (Galaxy Tab S) or phone (LG V20 and V30).. all relatively big screens.

I'm also not quite convinced this problem can't be solved by a few tweaks. If it's a problem of initial drag, you can introduce more of a lag until the certainty of direction is more certain. I can verify that items seem to pull out of their slots at almost any angle except for about 60 degrees around top and bottom where it becomes about 75% chance of scroll. Maybe widen those vertical cones of uncertainty to favor scrolling over item pulling along the vertical axis? The thing is, you get 100% accuracy pulling an item out sideways, if it was a true issue of "I don't know which direction" I would expect to see scrolling when pulling out sideways as well, but that's just not the case, which tells me your algorithm favors item pulling... and what I'm saying is I'd rather have it favor scrolling.

Another option is to implement multi-touch for scrolling. Anything is better than what happens now, which results in regular item swapping when trying to scroll, and tedious fixing to re-group them.

Third option, have the inventory auto-organize as a preference. All I really want is items always grouped by type... not sure there's a lot of value in organizing things manually.

Forth option add a scroll bar. I actually could care less about this option, but it and the other 3 are better than what is there now, and ultimately all for can work simultaneously. Considering many players leave blank space in their inventory so that they can scroll, that tells me this is a significant issue for a lot of players. To be clear, it is personally my biggest issue with the game.

Sachin Shekhar likes this.