1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Infamy Tweaks

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by JoshW, 21 Aug 2018.

1. JoshW

JoshW Well-Known Member

Infamy gained or lost should be based on indiviual performance during a battle and not on the teams. We all know that getting one underskilled or even afk player on your team can mean the difference between winning and losing. If I join a game and do well my infamy should go up regardless of how poorly my team performs. Conversely if I perform poorly my infamy should drop even if my team carries me to a win. This way we avoid mismatching players and we avoid the "Infamy rollercoaster". Nothing is more frustrating than being one win away from the next league just to be matched with a poor team and losing all that progress.

PallabKumarS and JediKnight1968 like this.
  2. ViscountSniffit

ViscountSniffit Well-Known Member

Awarding infamy based on ‘personal performance’ is a good idea in principle, but in practice, it’s actually impossible to measure ‘personal performance’ in an unbiased way.

There are lots of ways that players can contribute to wins, which are difficult to quantify. For example: a Speeder being distracting and causing the unfriends to split up. Or a player laying mines that force the unfriends to take a more difficult route (despite doing no damage). Things like that can often shape the outcome of battles, but how do you measure them?

If I target a Fixer, and manage to kill her in the first minute, how much team healing did I prevent her doing? Enough to change the course of the battle? It’s impossible to know.

3. Hazimi

Hazimi Active Member

This game is about teamwork so its logical that we win together and we lose together. Moreover, if infamy is measured by indvdual performance, people will most likely play for their own benefit that may disturb the teamwork to win the game.

4. xArrogance

xArrogance Well-Known Member

Likewise, shooters and defenders that always perform well would keep gaining infamy, while more high risk-higher return ships like enfos and speeders would have a harder time .. every time a mine cuts their game short, they're dropping infamy. Fixers are already favorite targets - one assassin speeder or one small mistake in a match and you're dropping like a rock.

And, your rewards are already based on your performance.

SeaNavy likes this.
  5. JoshW

JoshW Well-Known Member

All good points, it just seems that every time I'm about to move up a league ( within a handful of infamy ) I end up with a team where every other player does less than %60 of the damage that I do. It's almost as if the game is "blocking" me from moving up a league. Is there something I don't know? Or is this a common issue?

Maybe there could be a system that tracks your averages and you gain or lose infamy based on how well you perform compared to your average.

StrictSalmon307 likes this.
  6. StrictSalmon307

StrictSalmon307 Well-Known Member

Professional student
    Although a lot of players have noticed this, the devs have stated that this is NOT a thing. It could be placebo effect or something, I dunno :p

7. JoshW

JoshW Well-Known Member

Its very frustrating lol, I've been on the edge of moving up out of masters for a while now. It' almost as if you get the bad players who are moving down a league while you'e trying to move up

8. xArrogance

xArrogance Well-Known Member

The higher your win percentage is over the course of 10-15 games (complete guess on actual #), the higher your player rating (or expected contribution) rises .. eventually it hits a breaking point and you start losing. The losing stops when your player rating is lower than your actual contribution. Then you see the 1-win-1-loss streaks.

Or, to put it another way -- If you could see your true infamy (or 2-week rolling average), it would make more sense why you always seem to fall just short of the next league.

For instance, if your true infamy is 3600, you might hit 3900 or get lucky and hit 4k -- but then it's going to spring you back towards 3600 (or even as low as 3200 or 3300).

People notice and remember the highest levels that their rubber band allowed them to reach - and that's where they think they belong - but, in reality, their true infamy is often 3-400 less.

Eventually, your true infamy will climb and you'll sit comfortably in the next league, so don't let it bother you.

ViscountSniffit and JoshW like this.
  9. ViscountSniffit

ViscountSniffit Well-Known Member

Yes, when you’re one game away from the next league, that always seems to be the perfect time for fate to send you on a ridiculous losing streak, and you have to start over.

If it’s any consolation, It is the same for all of us. We’ve all had the seemingly endless streams of bad teammates, floaters, and ridiculous losing streaks. I once lost a thousand infamy in one day.

It’s just something you have to deal with. The most important skill you need, to succeed at this game, is patience. Just hang in there, and try not to let the frustration get to you. We’ve all been there, and ultimately, it will make you a better player.

Sadly, you can’t just coast through the game doing ‘your bit’ and hoping that your teammates will do theirs. How your teammates perform actually depends a lot on what you do (and vice versa), so you need to work together, and learn how to help your team.

10. BattleRascal

BattleRascal Well-Known Member

I used to think the same way. At some point the lights came on and I realized that individual statistics in battle don't matter. What matters is filling your role for the boat you are taking to battle.
    I've played 80% of my battles as a Speeder. And most of my wins come when I am the lowest damage dealer on my team. In fact, I've had a lot of zero damage wins that In my opinion have been my best games in terms of teamwork and help to my team. As a speeder, my most important job is to take the attention away from my shooters. If twice in a game I can get two shooters to chase me and turn their turrets around and miss all their shots when I nitro away, well, that increases our teams chances to win.
    We all find different strategies in our respective boats to contribute. I gain more respect for the infamy system every day. Once I realized that my individual performance didn't matter(was stuck around 2000 infamy for like 6 months) I started to gain infamy to hover around 3500 now.

11. JediKnight1968

JediKnight1968 Active Member

We all have noticed it more than one time so it cannot possibly be placebo effect.
    They have a matching system/algorithm. Any algorithm that manages to get me to a team 15 times in a row that I lose 0-5 or 1-5 in less than 2 minutes cant be a coincidence.
    The same thing reversed (10-12 win) with me bored and playing hooooooribly also cant be a coincidence.
    Something is rotten in this algorithm.