1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Infamy, Gear Score, and Matchmaking

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by PastelPiku, 29 Mar 2018.

?

Which ideas do you agree with?

1. 1: Gear Score -> Matchmaking

4 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. 2: Team Balancing

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. 3: Longer Queue Time

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. 4: Gear Score Limiting

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  5. 5: Infamy-based Rewards

5 vote(s)
    71.4%
  6. None of the above

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 6: Yerjokin's "Gear Floor" idea

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. PastelPiku

PastelPiku Well-Known Member

Security
    I'm just gonna dump some ideas here, ok?

1: Gear Score mixed in with matchmaking.
    As of now, the game takes 2 things into account when matchmaking: infamy and ship mk. Gear score was obviously meant to replace the ship mk algorithm. I think the best way to do this would be to first find 10 players within infamy range of each other then balance the two teams using gear score. This should ensure that both teams have similar strength.

2: Team balancing
    Aside from both teams having an even total gear score, the matchmaking should also work to put a balance of variety on both teams. Say for example, there are 2 fixers in a game, assuming they aren't fleeting together, there should be 1 fixer on each team.

3: Longer queue times
    Yes, we all like having quick and short matchmaking, but the less time it takes the less time it has to find suitable players. The matchmaking should wait at least 10 seconds to find balanced players, and possibly wait upwards of 20 seconds if no suitable matches are found. It there is still too much trouble finding matches, after 20 seconds the matchmaking can start getting more lenient.

4: Gear Score limiting
    At a lower infamy, especially for beginners, a larger difference in gear score makes a far bigger impact on the match. When searching for a fair match, the algorithm should take this into account: the lower the player's infamy, the lower the difference in gear score. This means a beginner should not encounter high level players unless the wait time exceeds about 20 seconds. Meanwhile, using underpowered gear at a higher infamy will not affect matchmaking as much, so this cannot be used to force easier matches, either. If you're at a very high level with only 200 infamy, expect a longer wait time for the game to find you other high level players to play against. If this hurts your ability to climb back up, simply equip weaker items to lower your gear score. Don't like this? Then keep your infamy where it belongs.

5: Infamy-based rewards
    Last idea. There is not enough impact from gaining a high infamy. The large amount of low infamy/high level players proves this. @TheAntiSnipe proposed an idea where each league has their own respective star crates, each having better odds for better items than the last. These can only be opened with stars collected while playing in that league (to prevent farming stars at low infamy and opening crates at high infamy). The current star crate would take the place of warrior league's (the uncommon one).

Cryix and TheAntiSnipe like this.
  2. YerJokinArnYer

YerJokinArnYer MVP

In my opinion the old matchmaking algorithm worked which only took infamy into account worked much better than what we have now.

The only ‘problem’ was with the players mentality which didn’t realise that their own skill level was reason why they were matched with higher or lower mark ships. Introducing ship levels into matchmaking has broken the infamy system, and so infamy of a 1500 mk4 ship is no longer comparable to infamy of a 1500 mk5 ship (the difference is no longer just the skill of the players), it is as though they are in different leagues (similar to how in the NFL two teams in different divisions who have 7&3 records are not necessarily of equal strength - much of it depends upon the strength of which NFL league you’re in). This has in turn caused the dreaded infamy drop especially noticeable when moving from mk5 to Mk6 boat. Having ship level in matchmaking algorithm is also is the major cause of the majority of high level boats at infamy levels you wouldn’t historically associate with them.

In my opinion, replacing ship level with gear level in the matchmaking program does not fix the problem, it just continues it.

There are already threads which discuss this in greater detail than I have above. Going back to the old matchmaking algorithm solves the majority of the issues you’ve raised, and stops further problems such as longer queues.

I would introduce gear floors, ie infamy levels below which high gear levels are not allowed (to prevent seal clubbers), but beyond that I don’t see any need to use gear level in matchmaking. Trying to balance gear level would mean that improving your boat or gear does not (on average) lead to a rise in infamy, and so remove the incentive to improve your boat.

However I do agree with your comment on infamy based rewards. ‘Managing infamy’, though technically not even allowed, should not bring better rewards than players who play hard each and every match.

Cryix, PastelPiku and TheAntiSnipe like this.
  3. PastelPiku

Security
    I've asked numerous times for infamy floors before gear score was added, and this is the perfect way to tie the two together. A system like this would remove the need to implement gear score into Matchmaking, but I still think gear score should be taken into account when balancing the teams. Like I said, the effect would be greater at lower infamies. High gear score differences are much more apparent at low infamy when some players only have 500 hp. The higher you go, the less the system should care about gear score.

4. YerJokinArnYer

YerJokinArnYer MVP

I can completely see why you’re saying that using gear score to balance teams is necessary, but I’ll explain my reasons for disagreeing.

If I upgrade my ship or gear, I should be theoretically better than my old infamy score suggests. Therefore I should rise to a new higher infamy score as I temporarily achieve a better than 50% win rate, which will settle back to a 50% win rate once I get to that new infamy score.

However, if you use gear score to balance the team, even though I’ve upgraded my gear, my odds of winning do not temporarily increase as my new gear is taken into account straight away. Therefore my infamy does not necessarily rise which is counter intuitive.

It is this kind of balancing that they’re doing with ship levels at the moment which explains why high infamy ships can’t raise their infamy when they’re at low levels.

Anyway, that’s what I think. I’m happy for others to disagree, or have different opinions.

_devill and PastelPiku like this.
  5. PastelPiku

Security
    The difference in gear score from upgrading a single item a few times is negligible, especially if the difference in gear score allowed increases with infamy. I'm not saying the teams should necessarily be balanced using infamy, more so I'm saying the difference in gear score between the strongest and weakest player in a single match should not be so large, especially in the early game. A difference of, say, 2k gear score when the lower level player has like 400 gear score essentially makes the battle obsolete. Whereas a 6k gear score player has a chance against an 8k gear score player.

Anyway, gear score + infamy based floors would be a fine alternative to this idea, I simply didn't think of it when I was writing this up. Lemme add that to the poll for ya.

6. The Friendly Fixer

The Friendly Fixer Well-Known Member

Mate Don't EVEN TRY OK! I tell devs nearly every time but they well just Lock it so Yeah don't even try okay? ;)

7. PastelPiku

Security
    I've never had one of my threads locked without me asking them to so I'm disregarding this post.

YerJokinArnYer likes this.
  8. The Friendly Fixer

Wow -_- so you one of them

9. The Friendly Fixer

10. PastelPiku

Security
    Lol dude don't take it personally. If you're gonna tell me to just throw my ideas away, I have nothing to say to that and it adds nothing to the discussion.

YerJokinArnYer likes this.
  11. The Friendly Fixer

Well every time I tell the truth to the Devs my threads gets locked by them just to be honest that's F**ked up I ever get ANY Respect if you Have the Same problem come Talk to me