1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

DevReply I'm so close to quitting..

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Flipscuba, 14 Apr 2018.

1. Miathan

Miathan Well-Known Member

That's a connection problem. Stuff hits on your screen, but does not hit on the server. Since the server has the final say, you deal no damage.

2. SlayerofSergeants

SlayerofSergeants Well-Known Member

My opinion is that defenders can't reach the upper echelons of play because they (similar to fixers) are not viable solo players. They depend on teamwork and distraction.

Let's characterize the play style:
    The ship is not well suited to long range combat. Being a big, slow target makes long range battles a losing proposition against any other ship. A sitting duck against mortars, sniper cannon, standard cannon, swift torp, rail gun, missiles.
    Corner peeking isn't viable either. You poke out to fire a weapon and it takes a loooong time to reverse direction and hide again. You are going to eat two shots from every ship that can see you before you are able to reverse back to cover.

Best option is to leverage the hp and defense by rolling in close and inflicting chaos on the enemy with heavy burst damage. The approach to the enemy team can be made via flank or via direct confrontation. Both have pros and cons:

1. You can attempt the flank, ideally this plays out as you creep around the rocks to surprise the enemy just as your team closes from the other side. As likely as not, you might have crept around the wrong side and the battle opens up across the map with your team at a 4v5 disadvantage. Your slow useless butt trudges over but by the time you get to the battle, your team is already defeated. The other frequent result is that the enemy scout sees your location and their team quickly closes. As you are solo and slow, you will face a 1vMore and die quick leaving your team at a 4v5 disadvantage. I'd say the stars align on a flank attack 1/3 so this approach is not ideal.

2. You can attempt the direct confrontation. In this scenario, your teammates follow you into battle as you cross open water, finding shelter where possible on the approach. Once you are spotted, the enemy opens a salvo against you and you soak up a ton of damage given the lack of mobility. If your team is in sync, they are close enough to begin attack on the enemy and they help focus down the defender's target. This method relies on the defender holding back in shelter waiting for an opportunity to dive. In my experience, this technique has about the best chance at a win result. The failure occurs when you have a Wrong-Way Rambo Red or a Suicidal Speeder trying a flank attack (they get caught all alone) and not supporting the Dead Defender. Failure also occurs when you have a surprise Feel Myself Fixer that you were counting on to be healing support. Occasionally, you'll be headed to enemy lines with your team behind you. After the first enemy salvo, your team has decided to turn around and go the other way leaving you out in the open and alone.

The teammates must be cohesive and understand the defender is a sitting duck in open water. He needs support, he needs to not be left alone. Despite the massive HP he cannot survive solo. The friends must take advantage of the openings and distraction he provides.

The ship's "perk" of bonus defense is of next to no use. Defense points have been discussed ad nauseum and are useless against the current meta of burst damage. Saving 5% of your health from a long range snipe or rail gun (100/2000) just doesn't cut it when you are dead in 8 or fewer hits. Never mind that it doesn't help vs fire damage.

In the off chance the defender is the last surviving friend, he is again at a disadvantage. Enemies will often flee the slow boat to play the long game.

I've seen enforcers and speeders turn 1v3 matches around because of their solo sustainability. Speeders, fixers, enforcers can also flee for a draw when they are at disadvantage in a 1v1.

I've also seen shooters turn 1v2's around with sheer long range firepower.

Defender does not have these solo advantages. I've been able to turn 1v2 matches around against crippled ships only, granted that the captains made the mistake of coming at me instead of hiding or playing long game.

Because other ships are better able to compete on a 1v1 battle field, the defender is going to continue to be missing from the highest ranks of competition.

Last edited: 19 Apr 2018
  3. Spinners71

Spinners71 Well-Known Member

I appreciate that you wrote this, simply for the hope that people will read and learn how to better support Defenders. A Defender with good "charge-sense" is invaluable!

4. StrictSalmon307

StrictSalmon307 Well-Known Member

Professional student
    Nice setup :) Answer is on point too. I used too like to play defender too, but I don't charge well enough so I've given up on that.

Jerbears likes this.
  5. Jamesnyc

Jamesnyc Active Member

Systems admin
    Yep me to - down to 2086 from 2900..

Game is getting stupid and stupider.. every single game is just a loss.. shrugs

Think im done

Maybe ill try again if they ever have an update

6. Flipscuba

Flipscuba Well-Known Member

Say whaaaaaaat. Well then you are a very lucky man. If the enemy gets even a HINT of my location they will unleash total hell on me, and even chase me en masse across the map. Which occasionally works if my team isn't too stupid to use that opportunity to get kills while 3-5 of them are focusing me.

7. ShipCrusherCz

ShipCrusherCz Well-Known Member

I once got pentakill with mk3 defender an I won 1v3 against mk4 shooters, one was at 1/3 hp and the other two wre were at almost full hp, I won because they attackes me in waves so I had time to regen some hp

8. Nasher!

Nasher! New Member

No one is complaining about defender at lower tiers, it’s high end where they aren’t viable

9. ShipCrusherCz

ShipCrusherCz Well-Known Member

I know it and it's bad even at low infamy when you can meet mk5's UNDER 100 INFAMY;)

10. BasedCarpen

BasedCarpen Well-Known Member

They are if you have several high level shields and bandages. I see a lot of defenders at 3500 range using rare blue items still because there are so many slots to fill. It's hard when the majority of other boats have t4 and t5 epic shields and bandages