1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

DevReply I think matchmaking is ok.

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Bobbafed99, 13 Aug 2017.

1. Spartacus

Spartacus Active Member

So the devs admitted that they use a predictive system for hits/misses to make for better gameplay since there are 10 people from all over the world with different internet connections in one game. This makes sense. However, its suspect when my games are lag free, then all of a sudden they are “filled with lag” but only on games where the system is balancing my ratio downward. If they have acknowledged that they use a system that hits/misses a player based on where they think they will be, not where they are, then wouldn’t it be super easy to automatically adjust the sensitivity of that system plus/minus a few points to balance a player/team up or down? I’m not saying that’s the only thing Rovio is doing here, just one very plausible scenario. Thus far, all they have done is deny certain things without simply telling us what it is that they do to balance the win/loss ratio. Anyone who actually believes that the current explanations for the 50/50 ratio is statistically plausible, like “flipping a coin”, needs to go back to math class!

By the way, regardless of how civil this thread is, watch, it will probably get locked with no answers. Then new ones will start asking the same questions, and there will be the same generic answers, lag, it’s fair, etc. if there is nothing going on, and the devs want to end the speculation, they need to spill the truth about how they are doing it. Then, done, no more threads about this topic!

Last edited: 23 Apr 2018
  2. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

You sound like one of those people back in the Dark Ages. "Confess! Confess that the Sun rotates around the Earth, heretic!"

Now listen closely. There is no amount of processing power existent in the servers of a MOBILE game that can factor in the win rates of a person, successfully rig them to lose, and do it reliably enough for it to work that accurately. Also, coding just that into a simple game would take AGES. I say this as a coder myself, that's too many decisions happening for waay too many players, with waay too much inaccuracy to be practical.

3. Spartacus

Spartacus Active Member

Haha, confess, that made me smile, good one. The predictive aiming/hit, wasn’t my theory, that was posted by the devs on this forum. If they are already doing that, factoring in an “offset” would not be an issue.

Look, I’m not a wise ass, not the best player, and I have plenty of games where it’s my fault that I lost. But, the 50/50 win/loss ratio explanation given makes no sense and short of an explanation from the devs, the in-game issues we regularly experience feed the theories.

4. Spartacus

Spartacus Active Member

I don’t know why I didn’t do this before but here is the plan. I own a company that makes software. I am not a coder but I have a team of them. My PM used to work on iOS and Android games so I’ll bring this to him and the team, and ask what they think is going on. If you keep this thread open, I’ll post the reply once I speak with them. If I am wrong that Rovio has been manipulating win/loss, I will humbly apologize.

TheAntiSnipe likes this.
  5. TheAntiSnipe

Just for once, I'll make the exception for you. If I'm wrong, I'll apologize as well.

Bradley Thorinsson and Spartacus like this.
  6. Sifa

Sifa Well-Known Member

The thing is, it doesn't matter what your coders say. Rovio will never admit they're doing anything like that and I don't think your coders have access to any of their code to prove that Rovio is in fact lying to everybody.

But have you tried to think what would be the benefits for Rovio to add this secret win/lose mechanism into their game? What do they benefit if you get a losing streak and become angry? I think their customer satisfaction would be much higher if no one ever had a losing streak. You think people buy more pearls when they are angry? No, they close the game and if they are extremely pissed they never open it again. No benefit for Rovio here.

Win and losing streaks happen just because the system isn't controlled by any secret code. If you flip a coin 10 000 times, it's obvious that you'll get similar streaks sometimes.

7. Miika

Miika Game Lead

I got curious to know why exactly this happened so I reviewed the replay. The damage you received was from the big torpedo shot by odepeto. Your client predicted the torpedo hitting the pylon on your 1 o'clock causing the torpedo to explode and be removed on your screen. On the server the torpedo did not hit the pylon so it still continued, invisible to you, eventually hitting you.

This battle was played and video captured on 10 Feb 2018. On 13 Feb 2018 (so 3 days later) we released v2.8 which significantly improved the accuracy of projectile collision predictions which fixed this. You can validate this fix working by watching the replay now with the latest version and you can see the torpedo passing pylon and hitting you: https://replay.battlebay.net/PHSQWBFX#YXFCQSNY

It is unfortunate that these client-server off-syncs happen and we constantly look ways how reduce them. However, realtime multiplayer games inherently will always have some discrepancies between the client and server. This is because the client has to constantly try to hide latency by predicting the future and to smooth low fidelity network transmitted data.

8. R4Z0R

R4Z0R Well-Known Member

in english plz :p:D

TheAntiSnipe likes this.
  9. TheAntiSnipe

He got hit by a torp which should have hit the wall but some whooshy technical stuff happened and he got whammied by a torp that wasn't there. Because lag.

10. Miika

Miika Game Lead

Actually the other way around. The torpedo was supposed to hit him but the older version of the game incorrectly thought the torpedo had already exploded into the previous pylon, so the visual torpedo was removed.

11. TheAntiSnipe

Okay. "English" translation;):-
    He got whammied by a torp that was supposed to have hit the wall. The game "saw" it hitting the wall, thus it removed the torp from visibility, BUT the torp stayed in the water, hitting him...

12. R4Z0R

R4Z0R Well-Known Member

ahhh...ok

13. Miika

Miika Game Lead

Still the other way around. :) The torpedo was never meant to hit the wall and it didn't hit the wall on the server. It just grazed the wall so closely that the older less accurate game version accidentally thought it hit the wall.

14. R4Z0R

R4Z0R Well-Known Member

ok now i confuzzled again i think u owe me a new brain :p

15. TheAntiSnipe

Okay, now I get it. *Inserts spare brain* Thanks!

Ian, Rainbow Warrior and R4Z0R like this.
  16. The Grim Repair

The Grim Repair Community Manager

Braiiiinz for everyone!

17. Rainbow Warrior

Rainbow Warrior Well-Known Member

tenor (2).gif
    I never thought about that :eek: since we are not watching a video but kind of spectating a battle, some weird things that happened in battle could happen on replays as well... If It understood correctly.

TheAntiSnipe likes this.
  18. Miika

Miika Game Lead

Yep, exactly! Watching replays is susceptible to same kind of latency induced weirdness than actually playing the game also.

19. R4Z0R

R4Z0R Well-Known Member

ok @Miika i think u owe me a few extra brains now :p
    what is this "latency" u speak of?

Rainbow Warrior likes this.
  20. Rainbow Warrior

Rainbow Warrior Well-Known Member

Read this:
    Then ignore our confusion and you'll get it ;)