1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

DevReply I think matchmaking is ok.

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Bobbafed99, 13 Aug 2017.

1. Lil_Torta

Lil_Torta Active Member

Or he could have possibly received a important phone call & just been busy. Why do we assume things regardless of having 0% of any knowledge of what the other is doing.

2. Snapshot

Snapshot Well-Known Member

I agree. People seem to forget all the time that over the internet there's a whole life going on on the other side and we know nothing about it. That time that I dropped my iPad right on the freakin power button so it shut off and it took me forever to get back in game I'm sure some people thought I was floating. Or when the phone rings just as the match starts... Real life happens. I don't assume someone's a floater/tanker until I've seen the behavior in multiple matches and frankly, at my infamy, I don't see repeat enemies enough to draw those sorts of conclusions.

HectorBarbossa and Lil_Torta like this.
  3. Zen master

Zen master Member

My only issue with matchmaking is that they have never addressed the type of ships on each team, which would seem to me a pretty easy algorithm to implement. My team gets no fixers, other team has 2. I know, they have less guns, we should kill em, but I end up with so many battles like this where I end up doing 40k plus damage and still lose.

In general, I would also expect that the ratio within battles where there is only one fixer should over time be roughly even. Roughly half I should get a fixer, the other half the enemy will get the fixer. I have well documented days where clearly a binomial distribution is not implemented as the probabilities of random assignments of the fixer are highly improbable. If it was one or two days, fine, but its almost every day. I've had numerous days of an 11-1 ratio of fixer disadvantage to fixer advantage. Pretty easy to fix.

4. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

One thing I don't get is why you people hate uphill battles. BB is a game, and uphill battles are part of the challenge. It is very possible to take down a dual fixer team with no fixers of your own. It feels badass, and you get to learn new aspects of teamplay.

However, your suggestion is not bad, except that there's people who will say that it is literally infamy rigging.

Neptune_Gaming likes this.
  5. envylife

envylife Well-Known Member

This is the story of Battle Bay. There's no reason... absolutely no reason, to adjust infamy match by match, which allows for huge infamy swings, which leads to questionable matchmaking because it is on instant infamy rather than more accurate trending infamy. I could go on, but why bother... :)

6. Snapshot

Snapshot Well-Known Member

I can answer part of that. For starters, there's this question of how uphill exactly. That's why I pulled the plug on my own infamy back at 1200. In this case, however, I think it's mostly psychological. As I've noted repeatedly, BB players seem to be confrontation averse. A fixer is a psychological crutch making you "safer" somehow. If you perceive that the other team is "safe" and you're team is not then that's an issue. The fact that it is perception and nothing more isn't going to change that.

My other theory is that the best way to counter a fixer team is with rampant aggression and... well... you know how that goes. Very few players want to be aggressive.

7. HectorBarbossa

HectorBarbossa Member

Engineering Data Analyst
    Maybe you’re right, anyway it doesn’t matter anymore. It’s up to devs, they developed this game, we want to play we have to follow their rules or delete the game. I’m still around, and ready to be shooted.

8. mannyfreshmf

mannyfreshmf New Member

the fact that it has to be within a 50% accuracy I think IS the problem, why cant it just be within a 100pt. infamy difference.. this way if you're good you will continue to move and if you suck you will stick around that infamy level.. However, by doing this many players will rely on their individual skill to rise and will not spend as much $$ to upgrade their gear. Sooo maybe.............

The above average players will always excel and separate themselves from the others no matter what you throw at them, most of their win % is above 51%.. which is why the beginning of the seasons
    are so miserable for everyone, the big dogs fall back to 4k and they star to fight to rise again...
    If the system is looking for 50% accuracy then somewhere along the line the system will work against someone to keep them at 50%... which is what many are complaining about the game...

Spartacus likes this.
  9. Spartacus

Spartacus Active Member

The easiest technical way to do this would be to use the current “anti lag” predictive system to enhance or penalize a player/team. It’s actually not that technically difficult. Take a look at the following, I am flyhighone. Is this just a coincidence? Basically, it does not matter how well you play, the system ensures that you will lose. And you know what, fine, just be upfront about it instead of deceptive!

Attached Files:

10. Spartacus

Spartacus Active Member

More screenshots... I am flyhighone

Attached Files:

11. Spartacus

Spartacus Active Member

Even more screenshots, I’m: flyhighone

Attached Files:

12. Spartacus

Spartacus Active Member

I’ve got a lot more where this came from, let me know if you care to see them. Clearly this isn’t “being matched with better opponents” nonsense! Do you really believe the official line you are being given? I am flyhighone

Attached Files:

13. TheAntiSnipe

I believe the "official line" if that's what it is called. Winning is as much a part of the game as losing. It is merely psychological that you do not see winning streaks as much as losing streaks.

YerJokinArnYer likes this.
  14. Spartacus

Spartacus Active Member

If you look through the screenshots I uploaded, I have mostly been the top player on my team on the losing matches. I am also usually the only level 5 ship on the team, most of the others are level 6. I am nowhere near the best BB player, but I am a decent and can tell the difference between not being focused and the game manipulating the outcome. Specifically, shots not registering, invisible torpedos, etc. all of the things being blamed on lag when in fact I am in the same place and on the same connection as when things are going normal, or on the flip side, “better than they should”. Rovio can do what it wants, It just dishonest to say that they don’t manipulate the system and that the 50/50 splits are all chance, based on being matched with different people, it’s a load of nonsense!

15. TheAntiSnipe

It's just lag. I've had battles with 17k damage losses. I'm Ace 1, previous season top 3100, in a mk5 with barely 7000 gearscore.

50/50 splits are pure logic, since you get carried soewhat higher than your true potential sometimes, and somewhat lower potential sometimes.

One can never predict when a set of players will gel together to take down a team several times more wellgeared than them. The reverse is also equally probable!

16. Spartacus

Spartacus Active Member

How can I be the #1 player on my team in so many of these battles that I have lost, and then be expected to believe that “I got carried higher than your true potential”? It’s not like all things being equal, I’m getting matched with better and better players until I ultimately start losing (being at the bottom of each game), I have been at the very top much of the time and against higher level ships! Antisnipe, I’m not questioning your integrity, but the games are being manipulated. It makes sense for their business model to have an 50/50ish split, all I want is honest disclosure, not BS about how this a natural balance, it’s not even close to one.

There have been so many threads about this that it has gotten old. Just the fact that they have told you to lock them is a testament. Why doesn’t Rovio simply specify how exactly they balance the win/loss ratios, thus ending this? I’ve seen them deny specifics, but never actually explain exactly what they do (not what they don’t do).

Im sailing a MK5 Shooter / 7339 gear score / Ace 1

Last edited: 23 Apr 2018
  17. Sifa

Sifa Well-Known Member

Hey want to hear my theory? I strongly believe it's the tinfoil hat you're wearing that pulls the mystical losing energy and causes your losing streaks. As you know, invisible torpedoes and stuff can't just appear from nowhere and obviously your opponents didn't fire them either (since players can only fire visible torpedoes). So it's just pure logic that they are created by mystical losing energy.

Now I'm not an experienced scientist but I do believe we are on something big here. So I kindly ask you to research this energy with me: please write down the times you're playing with your tinfoil hat on and count the number of times the mystical losing energy has spoiled your battles. Then repeat the process without the tinfoil hat and see if the results correlate with the theory. Thanks ;)

18. Spartacus

Spartacus Active Member

Nice trolling

I’m genuinely trying to get to the bottom of something like many other players, and then you come along with absolutely zero facts or insight other than an opinion that serves nothing other than to be combative. Awesome!

FYI, here are 3 videos from different angles, but you will probably just blow it off as lag

19. envylife

Because infamy can change 100 points in 15 minutes... so matchmaking based on instant-infamy can be an extremely lop-sided match off by thousands if infamy points at a point in time. This is partially why Matchmaker(tm) uses a moderately complex and highly proprietary algorithm... to try and balance boat types and make up for the inaccuracies of instant-infamy.

IMO what's needed is to add infamy floors, use SMA for infamy, and and remove all the other crap that Matchmaker(tm) does aside from balancing boat types.

20. envylife

I've seen Missles miss (also high speed projectiles) in real-time even though the ship was definitely in the red circles, but gets no damage, and the replay shows the exact same. One would think a replay would use what the server sees to correct the issue, but it leaves the phantom hits/misses a mystery.