1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

I am apparently a seal clubber?

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by DarkOwl360, 30 Jun 2017.

1. LightningBolts

LightningBolts New Member

It is hard to have sympathy for seal clubbers. They obviously realize they hurt their team when they lose intentionally but they do it anyway for selfish gain.

However, I don't think that lets the devs off the hook. I have a few complaints against them too:

1) The game was set up so there is a incentive to tank. It is entirely predictable that there will be a percentage of players that will selfishly take advantage of whatever they can, honorable or not. It was on the devs to set the game up so there is not an incentive to tank.

2) Once people started tanking (which was entirely predictable) they waited way too long time to implement a system to address this. I am glad they are addressing now but by waiting they allowed an entire culture to foster. This would have been better addressed proactively rather than waiting till it was out of control.

3) Now they are stomping down super hard an a culture they allowed to foster. Again, I have no sympathy for tankers and find their excuses very weak. But I would not have an issue with the devs issuing warnings and providing other guidelines before slapping down week long bans or removing rewards. Only a small percentage of players come to the forums, most just do there thing in game. So I can see those players being pretty shocked when something that was not even discouraged is now blasted to pieces without warning.

aKifer, Excism, Lord Drek and 2 others like this.
  2. RangerCA

RangerCA Member

LightningBolt has a good point. It could have been prevented earlier, but since it hasn't, warnings should have probably been posted in the game. Most people who play a game will assume that anything you aren't told you can't do is not a big deal, with exceptions of blatant cheating like using hacks. You have to treat game mechanics like a legal document. If you make them sign off on an EULA and it does not by any stretch attempt to warn them "DON'T LOSE GAMES ON PURPOSE", you technically shouldn't punish them. Before anyone counters with "that's common sense", well... Contents may be hot.

@AllThePeopleWhoAreNotBeingConstructive: He admitted he did something wrong. Fine. Don't need to jump on the persecution bandwagon over it since there is clearly nothing to gain in doing so. It's like you don't go to a doctor and tell them you got a... let's call it "controversial disease" and expect them to respond with "What's wrong with you?! Didn't you know you shouldn't be doing that?" instead of pointing to the solution to the problem. Not the best analogy, but I think it gets the point across.

@TheOP: At the risk of being redundant myself... I'll say the first response you got was the best explanation. Just have to get your infamy back into the bracket it should be.

---

All that said, I hope they have something to prevent players genuinely trying the best they can to win and help their team from getting slapped with the same punishment. I've experienced ridiculously frustrating Elo drops before because of the completely unpreventable issues of Their team is way better, technical issues, or simply changed classes. Would it not be a little easier to just put a cap on how far you could drop in Elo?
    That may complicate things too, but at least I know it wouldn't result in adding insult to injury of trying to play a new class after playing Fixer for so long.

LightningBolts likes this.
  3. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

Make it a double

4. xxxBISMARCKxxx

xxxBISMARCKxxx Well-Known Member

Coincidentally he feels people play more as a team at low infamy

5. David Bonaparte

David Bonaparte Active Member

Not gonna lie, a lot of the people here are completely incapable of seeing multiple perspectives. Take their "advice" with a grain of salt. I still think Rovio needs to change the economy of the game to disincentivize the infamy manipulation, rather than punihsing players outright, since that only addresses the symptoms and not the underlying problem. I bet most people can't see that there are legitimate reasons to want to "seal club" though, so I won't bother arguing my point further. Just punishing people without any warning is justified, and completely stupid from a PR point of view. Only an idiot won't be able to see why.

Oh well.

Anyhoo, you can "probably" get resources again if you try raising your score to near your old levels? I don't know what they actually changed, so that's the best advice I can give. Other than that, you couold try making a new account? Two weeks isn't too much to lose, and you will have a decent idea of what to spend resources on now.

lolawola likes this.
  6. Miika

Miika Game Lead

That is exactly what we did. The lower you go away from your normal infamy the lower the rewards go, making it economically not viable to drop your infamy.

What we are seeing here is just the extreme cases who have already dropped their infamy very low essentially taking the rewards away. For people now trying to drop their infamy they will see their rewards dropping and dropping while doing it.

The Otherguy, H.A.D.E.S and Miathan like this.
  7. Nova

Nova Member

If you get hit with the reward drop, it's best not to make a topic about it, lest you be slammed unnecessarily by the seal clubbing haters.
    I mean, I get where you're coming from, seal clubbing is wrong and all, but the guy already admitted his mistake. Doesn't it seem a bit unnecessary to continue relentlessly bashing him even after he apologized? No need to be an asshole.

8. Wishaal

Wishaal Well-Known Member

Miika, what will happen if someone has got a really, really bad day, and really unlucky by getting really (actual) bad teams. My worst is that I went from 2300 to like 1600. I didn't even do it on purpose, I was really trying my best. That was luckily a week ago, but what would happen if I ever got the same bad luck stroke again?

9. Nova

Nova Member

I'm pretty sure that if you're participating in the matches you play, you don't get punished, but don't quote me on that

10. David Bonaparte

David Bonaparte Active Member

ah, ok. I had assumed this was an outlying case, I must have missed this in the patch notes then. :p

good to know!

11. KILGOR

KILGOR Member

No Bizzzz that is not what I am saying.......... I am saying I rather loose a thousand games in a row with decent players than to play 1 game with a bunch of F)-*#% Idiots.

12. saracollins

saracollins New Member

Same here

When my team doesn't know how to work together, I'd rather not waste my time fighting a losing battle

Oh, look a mine... Oops!

13. KILGOR

KILGOR Member

Exactly !!!!!!! Increase fleet to 3 so at least you can stick with your buddies which will help reduce the effect of a bunch of dumbazzes.

14. aKifer

aKifer Active Member

Does this take into account that nerfing updates might result in certain classes to drop infamy? E.g. fixers nowdays and potentially any other class in the future.

15. Flying Bananasaur

Flying Bananasaur Active Member

I switched from fixer to speeder for a little bit, but I was hot garbage at it, even though it was fun. They are the same mk's. I had lost ~300 infamy before because I had to get used to the new update. I lost about 400 infamy because of the class change and saw my rewards gradually go down. It took awhile to get the rewards back up again and for many games, even the ones I won, I received zero stars and little rewards. Just some experience with this new system for those who were wondering if it was implemented.

16. Fix-it

Fix-it Active Member

Student
    What is seal clubber?

17. Miika

Miika Game Lead

Rewards don't even start to decline from 400 drop yet.

The Otherguy likes this.
  18. Jasper21

Jasper21 Active Member

Hi I’m new to the game and also the forum. I have gone through some posts in this forum about seal clubbers and I would like to discuss this with the experienced players here..

The current matchmaking system is based on infamy. Would it be better if it’s based on MK level? E.g. MK3 will only be matched with 9 MK3 boats in a game, regardless of the infamy. This way it will be useless to drop your infamy to farm for resources, and players with low MK boats will not compete against and outplayed by high MK boats to ruin their gaming experience.

Also it helps when one changes class. Let say I have been playing an MK3 shooter and I’d like to change to fixer but my fixer is only MK1. I can play against MK1 boats and get used to my fixer before upgrading it.

Just my 2 cents. Do not hesitate to share your thoughts about this matchmaking idea. Your thoughts can help me explore this game more. Thanks!!

*if this topic has been discussed before, appreciate if you can direct me to the related post.

19. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

They now have advanced countermeasures for this. Look here:

Attached Files:

20. aaaxxd

aaaxxd Member

A big issue with that system is that players' skills are completely ignored. Mk3 ships can be seen anywhere between infamies 400 to 1500+ because some players are better than others. If you match players by ship levels, you will see good players always winning and poor ones losing 90+%. That will make the game unplayable for both sides.