1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

How Fire Bomb needs to work to make it balanced

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by Waveblower, 28 Jan 2018.

1. Waveblower

Waveblower Active Member

"Fine as it is." Yeah right. Burning for 20 seconds from Fire Bomb every time is NOT fine. It's too convenient for cannon users. It needs to work in the way I suggested. Besides, the solution I'm offering won't affect total damage done - burning for 80 DPS for 5 seconds will do the same damage as burning for 20 DPS for 20 seconds.

Zachiderp and Hokuse like this.
  2. Cpt. Dong

Cpt. Dong Member

I think your suggestion is too big of a nerf to fb. It will end up like frost items sitting in the inventory collecting dust. Instead, why not buff other items which can counter fb.

Vikeshot likes this.
  3. Sifa

Sifa Well-Known Member

I use fire bomb myself on my shooter and that's actually the only legendary item I have. While I love to get the burning damage bonus to myself and the whole team for 20 seconds, I would still agree if it was changed to as described above (as long as the total damage remained the same). Minimum 5 sec duration would be fair tho, then you could always have at least one shot to make use of the damage bonus.

Last edited: 5 Feb 2018
  4. PastelPiku

PastelPiku Well-Known Member

Security
    I use firebombs and I can say honestly that when they burn for 1 dps for 20 seconds, I feel privileged. With such a long base duration, I fully support giving full damage with a cut duration closer to the edge. A weapon should only be as useful as how good you are at using it, am I right?

Zachiderp, Hokuse and Waveblower like this.
  5. Miku Da Yo 39

Miku Da Yo 39 Well-Known Member

You guys should also think of this change as a buff, when people spam firebombs, peoples HP will be dropping REALLY fast. So in all honesty no matter how much shorter the duration is, because total dmg remains the same you essentially are doing direct dmg much more quickly so imo it's a buff

Waveblower and PastelPiku like this.
  6. PastelPiku

Security
    It's somewhere in between, which is why I love it. It nerfs the freedom of cannon boosting, but it buffs the rapid damaging capability. On top of all this, this change doesn't affect the center of impact, so it further rewards skillful use of the firebomb.

7. PastelPiku

Security
    I'm gonna get opposition with this idea, but I think if the duration were severely cut around the edge of impact, it wouldn't hurt to slightly increase the radius, right? Attacking a group of enemies would light most of them on fire for only like 5-7 seconds even with a bigger radius anyway...

Vikeshot likes this.
  8. Waveblower

Waveblower Active Member

Alright, how about a talent for Repair Bolt that can remove burn? That sounds like a good counter.

9. PastelPiku

Security
    That'd be even more of a nerf, because now people who were only burning for 1 dps are also able to have their burn removed.
    The original proposed idea isn't too heavy of a nerf. The firebomb was intended to ignite groups of enemies or have a way to bypass short obstacles, not to burn speeders for days (which I often do and it feels op with my blast cannon). It'd still do the same if not more damage near the edge of the circle, so it's a justified nerf. It only affects the cannon boost, which as I said, feels op in my own hands.

10. Cpt. Dong

Cpt. Dong Member

Sounds good

11. Cpt. Dong

Cpt. Dong Member

I feel that nerfs to an item will cause the game to suffer. Like how the frost torp heavy nerfs actually killed it. The game would be less fun when everybody runs the same setups because certain setups are not viable anymore due to over nerfing. Creating a wide variety of setup routes for players to choose will be better as players will have more options instead of having to follow the 'meta'.

Vikeshot likes this.
  12. benguin8

benguin8 Well-Known Member

Just change it so that the chance of catching fire is reduced the further you are away from the center. The outer ring should be 20% or so and it would be fair.

13. Vikeshot

Vikeshot Member

Now that's too aggressive

14. PastelPiku

Security
    Indeed. Having the duration reduced is fine, but making it based on chance just isn't right.

15. Vikeshot

Vikeshot Member

We all want to play Battlebay where ALL weapons are effective. Not like someone doesn't use a weapon so...."nerf" it and so on. If the Firebomb recieves a damage time reduction depending on distance from centre of impact, then the repair pulse also should recieve a health time reduction depending on distance from fixer. Just an addition.

Mad_Bulls_007 likes this.
  16. PastelPiku

Security
    I use firebombs and I still agree that the duration should be shorter closer to the edge of the blast. Even with only 1 damage, my blast cannon still gets +400 damage. It'd make more sense to do the same damage over a shorter period of time. As for the repair pulse, the difference is that for your teammate to be in the center, you have to be on top of them, so this won't work.

17. Waveblower

Waveblower Active Member

Don't be stupid - Flare Gun, Frost Blaster and Tesla Bolt are already playing a part in reducing healing.
    EDIT: Stay on topic. We're not here to discuss balanced items, we're here to discuss unbalanced items, which in this case is the Fire Bomb.

Last edited: 5 Feb 2018
    PastelPiku likes this.
  18. Vikeshot

Vikeshot Member

Every weapon will be unbalanced when a majority of players use it bcoz theres a bonus. I agree on the radius rework with reduced burn time in the edge. But as usual with every nerf will come a period of players quitting or playing lesser. So, burn time reduction depending on radius-yes, plus a slight damage boost maybe.
    EDIT: Iam on topic. Unbalanced items. Firebomb is not the only one. And of all the morters firebomb is used mostly bcoz of the easy-ness. Do u see standard morter users? And plz refrain using words like "Stupid". It's a forum I think. And every suggestion is welcome.

Last edited: 6 Feb 2018
    Babablacksheep and PastelPiku like this.
  19. @YSL

@YSL Well-Known Member

Digital Creative Director
    OP FIREBOMB.

A nerf is obv needed.

20. H.A.D.E.S

H.A.D.E.S Well-Known Member

Totally agreed....The items that need obvious nerf are Fire Bomb and Duct Tape.

Babablacksheep and Vikeshot like this.