1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Help for new players and beginners?

Discussion in 'Strategy Discussion' started by Nova, 1 Jul 2017.

1. Nova

Nova Member

I'm pretty new to the game, level 14 and I'm using mk2 Enforcer with a sniper, swift torpedo, over boost, and turbo load out.
    Any tips? Such as what weapons and items to use, what to upgrade or scrap, what to spend resources on, what tactics to use in battle and the like?
    And especially how to get lots of gold, sugar, and materials, cuz I run low on those a lot.

2. David Bonaparte

David Bonaparte Active Member

I hear that most weapons are decently viable at higher tiers, except maybe mortars. Torpedoes are definitely worthwhile learning now, though. Make sure you can shoot something in all situations. It works well to have Aoe and single target damage. Generally, it is useful to have a cannon on hand for consistent damage, though this doesn't matter for your wp civic build. Speaking of which, if you can make it work, that's great. The shooter at mk2 is generally better for its rank if you can dodge some projectiles with movements. The extra item slots for weapons makes a huge difference at this level. If you are doing fine with the enforcer then all is good, though I'm betting with your playstyle that your allies get focused on by opponents a lot. A drawback of an elusive style is that some opponents ignore you and go for your team, who now has only 4 bodies to withstand a frontal assault.

In terms of items to use, well, learn what your best playstyle is. An epic bandage is useless if you constantly take damage. An epic torpedo is useless if you can't aim it to save your life. Given the choice between a strong weapon you use poorly and a weak weapon you use well, go for consistency.

When it comes to upgrading, rates will ultimately be your backbone. Uncommons do just fine though, especially with some tier upgrades under their belts.

When it comes to spending pearls, my philosophy is to only spend pearls on things I can't wait for. I'm currently saving for an epic chest. I spent some pearls on inventory spaces. (Buy all the ships, scrap their basic items, Commons are largely useless. Use the inventory spaces to hold items you care about)

Crew member and ship training: try watching videos to get a feel for what ships suit your playstyle. Porthos has some good stuff on YouTube, especially a series about how to play each ship. Focus your ship upgrades on the ships you perform best with. Focus your crew member upgrades on the items you use most. Training the grenadier is useless if you don't use any items he buffs, outside of the captain experience. Look at the numbers carefully. Many crew member abilities change in power as your account levels up. +50 health to a ship is good at the beginning, but is less useful than, say, an extra missile lategame.

Similarly, focus your upgrades and parts onto the weapons you use best. Commons are not worth upgrading. Uncommon a are worthwhile until you get rares equivalents of actually superior stats. Don't scrap your level 30 uncommon because you just got a rare item. Let the rare catch up. At my level (1000-1200), most people have multiple tier 2-3 items at least, and mk3-4 ships. I struggled to rise up because my gear was sorely underleveled and my ships were weaker. Skill issues aside, I only recently hit my first tier 3 weapon. Don't be like me who went to upgrade everything he found useful. If you want rank quickly, then focus your attention onto specific items. Keep in mind that this locks you onto a specific ship though. I can play any ship I want because my collection has steadily grown, but my infamy is not rising anywhere near as fast as other people around me who DO focus their resources. Up to you here.

In terms of gold spending specifically, I mostly focused my attention on saving for 1. Ship upgrades, and 2. Item parts. You need multiple copies of an item to upgrade it after 10 levels. Focusing on setting up your collection before levelling allows you to pick and choose your items to train, rather than taking whatever you get. When you have 2-3 copies of your important items, you can chill out and stop obsessing over item parts. Then you can put your money into upgrading your important stuff. Keep in mind, that epic items will be hard to upgrade past level 10, since it is hard to get duplicates. Rare items are not impossible to find in uncommon chests or as rewards, so you can upgrade those more frequently.

Items you just won't need, you should scrap. You will want the parts, and it prevents you from getting related quests.

If you want a lot of resources, just play your best. It adds up even when you lose. If you have useless crew talents, you can sometimes change the talent so that you get extra rewards from the shop gift boxes. Those also add up, especially if you collect them obsessively. :p

A lot of the decision making comes down to long term vs short term, though. That, and being brutally honest about what items and ships you use best, statistically speaking. Aside from P0rthos, try looking at Genki Gamers on YouTube. I hear there are others that are helpful, but Porthos and Genki are the ones I would stick to for now.

Ability6, Nova and disorder like this.
  3. disorder

disorder Active Member

great response of bonaparte :)
    about weapon :
    a lvl30 green equal a lvl20blue or a lvl10epic, so at start better up green one, you just need grey or green pieces. after at high lvl or with luck when you get better item, you will be able to recycle your green weapon for a good amount of piece, and upgrade blue or epic one.

After about torpedo : a really nice weapon, try to get a frost and test with torpedo, it's easier

Nova and David Bonaparte like this.