1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Game data usage. Rovio pre downloads ads whether you watch it or not

Discussion in 'Bugs, Issues & Inquiries' started by Kalbs, 20 Nov 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miika

Miika Game Lead

There are two factors involved here:

1. Battle Bay is a real time multiplayer game. By nature it will consume more data than most other games because it needs to maintain constant connection with the server. We have highly optimized data transfer protocols in use but sending information about 10 ships 10 times per second just inherently comes with a cost.

2. Yes, Battle Bay does pre-download ads. This is the industry standard way and in fact we can't even affect it. Battle Bay is using third party ad libraries which are independently responsible for downloading, caching and viewing the ads. The way how ads work is that first an ad is downloaded. Then after it's complete the library signals the game that an ad is available and can be shown. In other words: Ads are downloaded, not streamed, and they could not be shown if they were not downloaded. If downloading would only start when you press the ad button then you might be stuck watching a loading screen for minutes on slower internet connections before the ad would be shown.

2. Kalbs

Kalbs Well-Known Member

Thank you for the response.

So this basically means that we will consume bandwidth even if we are not watching the ads(which is the main reason I do not watch it).

If you have a way of stopping it by subscribing to a VIP, then I am sure you guys also have a way to do it with non VIP subscribers and just let us stream the ads (signal the 3rd party app after we press the ads button).

We never have to wait because we didn't want to watch them in the first place.
    And the quality of ad videos are what? 360p, 480p at most? It would take less than a minute to load these videos even with a crappy internet.

3. Miika

Miika Game Lead

To a certain extent yes but not nearly as much as if you would be watching them. When you watch an ad it then starts downloading a new ad on the background while you are playing the next battle hoping it’s ready before it is needed. If you don’t watch ads then it doesn’t need to download new videos nearly that often. Only when ad-network specific expiration time is reached.

There is no streaming for VIP users. What we do is just disable the whole ads system, so it won’t work at all.

The quality of the videos depends on multiple factors, like the device you are using. Tablets and phones having 4K displays get pretty high quality material. But this is again something completely out of our control.

Kalbs likes this.
  4. Kalbs

Kalbs Well-Known Member

Sigh. I hope you guys find a way to improve this in the future.

5. BasedCarpen

BasedCarpen Well-Known Member

Its a free game man, a little bandwidth isn't much to complain about

ChickenSurprise likes this.
  6. Kalbs

Kalbs Well-Known Member

For you. We don't live the same life.

Shadow Moon! likes this.
  7. Stalie

Stalie Member

This is rather disappointing news! You rely on 3rd party liberties???
    You need us to watch ads for this game to exist? Wow that's sad I think it's time to uninstall this game.
    Can't spend any more time on this amateur game.
    I don't like playing a game that downloads ads to my device regardless of whether I want it or not!
    If I wanted to watch ads I'd watch TV.
    I'll just go back to the games that has no ads and that doesn't force you to purchase a VIP.
    Thanks for wasting our time!
    You'll lose more players due to this stupid ads and pre download issue.

Kalbs likes this.
  8. Kalbs

Kalbs Well-Known Member

88mb in less than 3hrs of playing with no ads. Fucking ads system forcing to buy VIP

9. Miika

Miika Game Lead

88 MB in 3 hours is in the range of normal data usage even completely without ads. You have to remember that you are playing a real-time multiplayer game with 10 people. That will consume data.

10. Riddlerpaji

Riddlerpaji Active Member

What if someone use adblocker.?

11. CaffeinatedChris

CaffeinatedChris MVP

Since Battle Bay itself doesn't have an ad-blocker, the only option is to use one that operates at the network level. Most of those work by denying connections to the CDN (content delivery network) servers identified as being from ad providers - but the ad companies will frequently cycle CDN names and IP addresses to avoid blacklists. Eventually they'll find one that isn't blocked, and the ads will download to your phone/tablet in the background so they can be played when next needed.

If you had a hypothetical, perfect ad-blocker, and never connected to the Internet without it, you might be able to play BB without downloading an ad, and then when you hit "Watch Ad" after a battle ... well, who knows how the 3rd-party library would work? Maybe it errors out immediately and returns you to the previous screen, maybe it just crashes with a "404 File Not Found" and takes the game with it.

Personally, as a non-VIP, I'm going to hit "watch ad" and take that 20-30s between battles to stretch my legs and relax. Keeps me from getting mad or tilted if I go on a bad streak, plus I have a desk job so anything that gets me up and moving is a good thing.

In the last month (Nov 6th to present) I used 2.63GB playing Battle Bay.

12. benguin8

benguin8 Well-Known Member

Given the sensitivity of data consumption with video ads, I wonder why advertisers are not trying static ads more? The same 20s ad can be accomplished with just one photo and holding it with a timer. As the dev said, they just use someone else's ad system, so this is on them anyways.

@Miika , has Rovio ever considered a one time fee to "unlock" battle bay? $15-20 or something? You would not get any of the same perks as VIP, except it would disable the ads. That also means no 50% reward option, which IMO defeats the whole purpose. But at least it is an option for data sensitive users.

Kalbs and Riddlerpaji like this.
  13. Riddlerpaji

Riddlerpaji Active Member

Nice.

14. Kalbs

Kalbs Well-Known Member

I'll have to see evidence first from VIP users.

Or I'll just probably ask players in game.

I find your statement hard to believe because I play another battle royale type of game (at least 90 players in 1 round) with VOIP (we friends talk a lot during game) and I don't consume this much.

Last edited: 6 Dec 2017
  15. Kalbs

Kalbs Well-Known Member

I can't afford to lose so much data just by playing Battle Bay because of these pre downloaded ads. I love the game, probably the longest I played in android but I may have to reduce my playing time or ultimately just quit.

Last edited: 6 Dec 2017
  16. Kalbs

Kalbs Well-Known Member

Tried some ad blockers. Didnt work. Deleted the Unityadcache folders cause I'm really frustrated, the app redownloaded it lol.

Riddlerpaji likes this.
  17. CaffeinatedChris

CaffeinatedChris MVP

Hypothetical question: would you continue playing if you had the ability to disable ads entirely, but you would also lose the option to gain 50% bonus?

Regarding the underlying behavior I'm not certain if Unity has modified the Ads SDK behavior for the isReady() function, but there's been a feature request open since I believe 2016 to enable the ability to check/cache ads only on WiFi or "unmetered" connections.

18. Kalbs

Kalbs Well-Known Member

Definitely man. Maybe I'll play it more than I used to. Having to play with no worries of too much bandwidth consumption. People gotta understand that this game is global and it reaches 3rd world countries. So the first question we ask about the game is "does it consume so much data? If yes then i'll pass"

19. CaffeinatedChris

CaffeinatedChris MVP

I'm Canadian, people in 3rd-world countries probably have better mobile data plans than I do. ;)

Perhaps I can stand up a poll, collect some results, and bring it to the devs.

20. Kalbs

Kalbs Well-Known Member

We have the slowest and most expensive internet in asia according to most articles haha

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.