1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Game data usage. Rovio pre downloads ads whether you watch it or not #2

Discussion in 'Bugs, Issues & Inquiries' started by Stalie, 26 Dec 2017.

1. Stalie

Stalie Member

Since the devs closed the other thread here goes another question:
    DEVS, You never answered the first question and that was why are there even ads in this game? Don't you make enough money from the players with the £100 boxes? Or do you have to give us a poor quality game to be able to make a profit?
    By poor quality I mean they slow speeds and the time wasting ads!

Please do is a favour and remove all ads from this game and provide the players with a faster more reliable game and then maybe we'll invest in things like VIP and pearl boxes.
    Currently I'm not convinced about the quality or the support to invest.
    Thank you

2. The Otherguy

The Otherguy Well-Known Member

Tech support
    I would hate the lack of ads. Imo that would make the game very P2W. As 100% F2p, ads are very valuable to me. Beside, you don't have to see ANY ads to play.
    If ads are time-wasting, don't watch them.

Mr. Chompers likes this.
  3. GoreSnorkle

GoreSnorkle Active Member

It’s not watching the ads he has an issue with... its that predownloading them slows your connection when you are trying to play... and it uses our data to do it.

Another way PayPal’s get a hidden advantage... no latency while us dirty peasants have to split our bandwidth.

Besides which, “just dont watch them” is a very glib, non helpful response. You don’t watch them because you are still deciding whether or not you might like to play “Legends of Leagueness” or “Age of Emperors” do you? Rather, we watch them for the same reason you do; pearls are vital to maintaining our crawl over the paywall.

4. The Otherguy

Tech support
    I have never noticed any ad related lag while playing, and I've never spent a money on VIP or anything else.
    Play on WiFi.
    ???
    What?
    I watch them for the sugar and gold, but okay...

I think a better option than removing all ads would be making there pre-download optional.

Mr. Chompers likes this.
  5. GoreSnorkle

I notice it all the time... unfriends finally appearing around 3:30 or so every single match is hard to tolerate when you know that you are waiting for “Pumpkin Farming Champion” video to load.

And not being able to play on my own network is a solution? Canada has some of the most expensive data plans anywhere... so you think ill get a better connection at my local library? If you get to play from the comfort of your own home why can’t i? (And if you don’t that’s a choice, not ‘the only solution’)

And saying you are not interested in pearls just hurts your credibility, but okay...

6. The Otherguy

Tech support
    That's because you can't see them, not lag.
    Why? They are so hard to get that they aren't worth it to me. I just farm the resources I need, as I am not yet to the t4 to t5 evo barrier, and don't need dupes, as I use rares.

As much as I love to debate, I think we know what we need to about each-others argument, so lets keep this friendly. :);)

I think that everyone should be able to opt-out of pre-downloaded ads, and hopefully they will implement this once they get the time. :)

Mr. Chompers and TheAntiSnipe like this.
  7. GoreSnorkle

I cannot see them, you are right. But I do see their torpedoes and shells emerge from nowhere, phantom healing pulses erupt, and they are clearly in easy mortar range... everybody knows where the ships start and where the battle lines are. I get painted and mortar spammed (not around me; directly upon my ship) while my target lock button remains inert. That, my friend, is lag. Or packet loss. Or a cloaking device.

Also people already complain about the length of the videos. I dont think making them take longer is a solution. However, you should be allowed to opt out of them entirely, so if you chose your bandwidth over your extra resources (sorry for calling them pearls, its what i’m Primarily after) then you dont predownload but after battle you dont get the option.

8. The Otherguy

Tech support
    Or none of the above. :)
    Once an Unfriend is more than a certain distance from you or your allies, he disappears. Also, if neither you, nor any of your allies has a direct (think torpedo) line of sight to an unfriend, he is invisible to your team. Same with you.

9. GoreSnorkle

So how do they all target me then? Doesn’t this line of site you speak of work both ways?

I’ll capture it on video (not in game viewer obviously) and show you what i mean.

10. The Otherguy

Tech support
    If one teammate can see you, they all can. However, most spots where people come out are predictable, and its worth launching a torp or LRM over with the chance of doing a little dmg.

11. GoreSnorkle

I know the difference between a speculation shot and getting locked up dude.

Here... check right before the speeder appears. All in range, in line of sight. Invisible ships shooting at my teammate.

It’s sideways so you will have to watch it top down.

12. GoreSnorkle

A minute into the game, and we are all sitting across from each other idly spamming mortars and torps while we wait for our videos to download.

13. The Otherguy

Tech support
    Why can you see your teammates then?
    Try this. Take your speeder, and suicide to the enemy spawn as fast as you can. As soon as you get close enough and there are no obstruction, you'll see them.
    This is most easily demonstrated on Wayward Pains, even without a speeder.

14. GoreSnorkle

You can always see your entire team.

15. GoreSnorkle

I notice you dont deny that invisible people are shooting, in clear line of sight. For a whole minute.

16. The Otherguy

Tech support
    They're too far away.

17. GoreSnorkle

And i wont do that because my infamy is not something i toss away lightly, and getting a week’s ban for intentionally losing is not my idea of a good time.

Is that seriously your suggestion??

As a representative of rovio i dont think you should suggest people throw games. It gives the wrong message.

Just saying

The Otherguy likes this.
  18. GoreSnorkle

Mortar range is too far?

19. The Otherguy

Tech support
    If you want solid proof, yes. That was the easiest thing I could think of at the moment.
    Heres a vid:

Notice that @2:15, when they round the corner 30s into the game, they are close enough, and can see the unfriends. :)
    I believe the range is about 5 units past standard cannon. :) I could be wrong though, but its close.

20. GoreSnorkle

That video is not relevant. He has vip so he is not preloading a video.