1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

DevReply Fixer balance in match ups

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Pro_Fesseur_Kev, 9 May 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ViscountSniffit

ViscountSniffit Well-Known Member

Because the question is not about what random circus act tends to occur on a daily basis, it’s about who actually has the strategic advantage.

It’s not true that it ‘can’t happen’, sometimes players will just happen to play the right strategy (or close to it), and if that strategy is ‘actually’ really powerful, then it won’t matter how well the other team plays.

If you happen to be on the other team, then you will notice that nothing you do seems to work. And that’s why players end up coming here and saying “hey, I don’t think this matchup is fair”.

Last edited: 9 May 2018
  2. xxxBISMARCKxxx

xxxBISMARCKxxx Well-Known Member

A) Are you seriously proposing 97 games from one player to be a legitimate sample size? Because ... lol. [Personal attacks removed]
    B) "If the matches were unfair ENOUGH". Do you understand the difference between a 50/50 win rate and saying that the matches are not "too" unfair? One implies that a tolerable level of inequity has been decided upon, the other implies there's no inequity at all.

Last edited by a moderator: 10 May 2018
  3. Rainbow Warrior

Rainbow Warrior Well-Known Member

And where did you read that?
    Here, use this
    Or this
    Not that relevant but you can also use this
    Or to find the origin of this one, I guess it is the more complete

4. Rainbow Warrior

I guess they do that because it is easier to blame matchmaking than themselves ;) but that's just my opinion, I have no data about it :D

5. Help I Cant Swim

Help I Cant Swim MVP

This argument has been posed many times before and every time, @Miika's statistics and conclusions have shown that it is simply an incorrect perception. If it was the case that one ship provided unfair results, then they would certainly already know about it and provide necessary balancing.

I do want to pose this question to @Miika though.... Is it possible for us to have access to game data so that we can have more intelligent conversations about this game without having to rely on a dev to spend their valuable time to provide statistics?

6. xxxBISMARCKxxx

(1) Clear paraphrase of "if the matches were unfair enough".
    (2) This does not imply that all matches are fair. Read it again.
    (3) O v 2 case. Not relevant- why did you quote this?
    (4) INSTEAD of using global data. Instead of using global data- which could clearly put the matter to rest- he chose to find some other more isolated data. Why go to that extra trouble since the global data could make the case perfectly if it agreed to what the dev wanted to portray? There's no legitimate reason. But hey just "don't concentrate on unfairness".
    (5) Again we see this pattern of avoiding global data and narrowing the set. Why focus on MK 5 for example? Why not define "small"? Why is it so difficult to simply respond to player concerns with the actual global 0 v 1 win rate? Protip- when someone is working that hard not to give you a straight answer, it's because they don't want you to have the straight answer.

7. Help I Cant Swim

Help I Cant Swim MVP

conspiracy.gif

8. Rainbow Warrior

A) And you just choose to ignore the entire quote because these two words fit on your point of view.
    B) oh you are just trolling, nevermind ;):p

9. Help I Cant Swim

Help I Cant Swim MVP

got.gif

10. xxxBISMARCKxxx

Lol you are literally cutting and pasting small pieces of dev quotes and criticizing me for supposedly ignoring the whole quote? [Personal attacks removed]

Last edited by a moderator: 10 May 2018
    Cryix likes this.
  11. Miika

Miika Game Lead

I said "not too unfair" previously because nothing is ever exactly in equal balance.
    What would be in your opinion acceptable threshold for winratio?

12. CaffeinatedChris

CaffeinatedChris MVP

13. xxxBISMARCKxxx

Hey here's an idea since you're reading the thread:

Tell us what the global win % of 0 fixer vs 1 fixer is, and settle it.

Too complicated?

Cryix likes this.
  14. Rainbow Warrior

Yeah, bro, whatever you say, I'm not going discuss with such a superior mind as yours :D

Cryix likes this.
  15. Miika

Miika Game Lead

I’d like to hear first players’ opinions on what is actually acceptable balance. 2/10 has been mentioned in this thread as the perceived win chance. How would you rate what is balanced and what is not?

Mr. Chompers, Cryix and TheAntiSnipe like this.
  16. Bennie1120

Bennie1120 Member

That is a fair question. Tell you all the truth, I've been on teams where I had a fixer and the other team didn't and I lost. I actually wish sometimes that I didn't have a fixer, instead I wish I had more fire power on my team.

@Miika maybe if you could show these individuals the statistics that you've been mentioning to the community so that they can visually see it. I believe that will give them more of a reason to believe that it is fair. To be honest, I would love to be the middleman and be on both sides. I believe that the matches are fair but I wouldlove to be on the community side to actually see the statistics. I understand that you are a developer and "should" be a reliable source, however just stating something without the physical proof is hard to trust 100%

Cryix likes this.
  17. Ian

Ian Well-Known Member

Student
    I'd say if a matchup is lost 75% of the time, then maybe some changes should be made to prevent those matchups from ever happening just in the sense to eliminate noncompetitive (and therefore less fun) games (I doubt there are any such matchups though haha). It really doesn't matter all too much though because it all balances out, sometimes you get matched in favor and sometimes the opposite.
    It would really only matter in this case for the fixer, who would have the advantage with being vs no fixer, but seeing as everything is already balanced in the current situations, eliminating fixer vs no fixer matchups would probably require a buff to fixer in general.

Cryix likes this.
  18. CaffeinatedChris

CaffeinatedChris MVP

Honestly, I would expect the imbalance to (slightly) favor 1-Fixer vs 0-Fixer, simply by dint of having "forgiveness" available for your mistakes. Perhaps on a big enough scale the availability of "more guns" for the 0-Fixer team evens the odds though.

But given the number of other variables in play (ship Mk, team composition, gear levels) I'd say anything in the area of a 55-45 split should be considered "balanced."

19. Babablacksheep

Babablacksheep Well-Known Member

So much "SALT" from the poeple who play fixer

The fact that mk5 fixers climb the ladder to nightmare fastest is proof that they affect game play in lower leagues.
    The teamplay of nightmares league is completely different from ace,and much better to say.Everyone advising OP on how his team should play has ever played in ace-2?.Do you expect teamplay in that league to defeat fixer? LOL

Fixer clearly benifit the team over the non-Fixer team.That is a fact.If any of you watch baywatch tournament,Pro players always select one fixer.And the teams without fixers have terribly lost.Even in game where team-play ouccurs in optimum level,they need fixers.

Are fixer OP? No...
    Does not having fixer is a big issue? No...

But there is a lot of stress on non-fixer team and lot of team play demanded,compared to a team with fixers.So,the presence of fixer is undeniable compared to other boats, especially in lower leagues Where teamplay is a rare sight

20. ViscountSniffit

ViscountSniffit Well-Known Member

5% is usually considered statistically significant. Seems like a sensible place to start.

I don’t actually care that much if it is fair or not though. I’d just like to know if the perceived advantage is apparent in their data.

So what’s the real answer?

Cryix likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.