1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

DevReply Fix the targeting system

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by D3X, 20 Apr 2017.

1. D3X

D3X Well-Known Member

@ViscountSniffit They added the Target Lock and the ability to cycle through the visible targets a few updates ago. This fixed most of the previous issues indicated from the first post. The bouncing targets is still there, you can get around that completely if you use the Target Lock + Cycle Arrows as you indicated. The thread is already a few months old and later down the thread I thanked Rovio for looking for a fix to the issue.

2. ViscountSniffit

ViscountSniffit Well-Known Member

Sorry for the confusion D3X. My post was really directed towards KILGOR and others who have replied more recently. I assumed because there were recent posts the topic was still active. My bad, sorry.

3. fr4nk1yn

fr4nk1yn Well-Known Member

After a few days of playing where I thought I had targeting "fixed". I'm back to not being able to aim for jack-crap!
    I was in 2 battles where I couldn't target the closest ship and just got blasted before getting a shot off.
    If you hit target lock and it locks on a target which is not next to you, something maybe wrong. If you hit the left arrow and it targets the ship farther on the right, something may be wrong.

4. Mamamyers

Mamamyers Well-Known Member

Loser
    Even when mine is locled. It will ranomly just look straight down at the water. Annoying af

BasedCarpen and fr4nk1yn like this.
  5. Miika

Miika Game Lead

The most likely reason for this is that you are trying to move forward but have pressed past the joystick, and when you drag your finger up you are actually turning the camera, not the joystick.

StrictSalmon307 likes this.
  6. BasedCarpen

BasedCarpen Well-Known Member

Yeah I wish I had a controller, the pad not being dynamic is clunky

Mamamyers likes this.
  7. Mamamyers

Mamamyers Well-Known Member

Loser
    Ya i think i noticed that this am.

8. fr4nk1yn

Can we please get a floating joystick? Split the screen where only the right is for look and the left has the floating joystick.

9. fr4nk1yn

Found a flaw in targeting, If it's not tell me how it's not, and what I'm doing wrong.

Speeders either know this or have lucked into exploiting it
    ~You can not aim at a ship next to you.~
    If there's a speeder directly next to you, or even somewhat close, and there's a ship behind it you can not get your reticle on that speeder. It will try to stay on the ship in the background.

10. ittiarazam

ittiarazam New Member

Mariner
    The aiming reticule changes or switches to other targets when a certain degree angle of the turret is achieved or the target has been out of range, locking the target is a prefered option especially if your picking for targets that has low health status or a fixer or speeder which are the priority targets we need to eliminate as soon as possible.

11. xBonk

xBonk Active Member

Machinist
    Hold the fire button and it will soon.

Last edited: 9 Sep 2017
  12. fr4nk1yn

No one else notice the close-up targeting fail? Just noticed it again. Was locked on to a shooter it came within touching distance, the lock was lost and the reticle snapped to a ship farther away. I had to sail away from that ship to target it again.

13. HELLRAZOR

HELLRAZOR Well-Known Member

It's not good even with torps, u want to lock with a ship but want to aim ahead & at an angle but can't, but if another ship closest to the line ur travelling pops up, the target lock springs back & selects that ship, even with target lock off ?

14. KILGOR

KILGOR Member

She fact that many players are complaining about the targeting system means there is a problem with it!!!!

15. KILGOR

KILGOR Member

Targeting is absolute CRAP !!!!!!!! I have downloaded and played hundreds of games and this is the ONLY game I have Ever come across that the targeting system is an ABSOLUTE PIECE OF CRAP!!!!!!! If there ever was rewards for the Worst targeting system, There is NO ONE that is a remote close second. You guys should pay US to play this piece of crap.

Here is another example: I have 2 opponents in my view at a range of 10 with no obstacles. My target hovered above one of the targets for a few seconds and then I was killed. What a POS !!!!!!

There are many such stories and the Devs still Ignore the player base. I am predicting this game to die a horrible death in the next 12 - 18 months.

16. ViscountSniffit

ViscountSniffit Well-Known Member

Since I switched to using the Tesla Bolt, I've been letting my target float more, so that I can change targets quicker. I still haven't had too many problems with it.

Occasionally, if there are lots of boats crossing paths then it'll change targets when I don't want it to, but it's usually not a big deal, and I only really have myself to blame for not locking it.

One idea to speed up retargeting might be if you could pysically tap on the boat that you want to target, and then have it automatically lock onto that boat.

It could also work by touching on the boat's name at the top (assuming they are visible).

I realise it might clash a little with the double tap to reset the turret, but I don't personally use that, so I'd probaly just turn it off, if it became an issue.

17. KRN Nomad

KRN Nomad Member

It has been 9 months since this post started & I guess devs still claiming there's no problem with current target system? All I want is the lock button to lock on targets when I want to and let me aim freely when the button is not toggled. You need auto target for this game, but current target system is overabundant. Also, why doesn't the target system allow me to select all targets in either direction?

Medullaoblongata likes this.
  18. envylife

envylife Well-Known Member

Close range target bounce is purposeful...part of the game design. Assume it's happening to your opponent as well, and hope you are fortunate enough to get your target back under control before your opponent does. I think it has a purpose behind this decision, but I haven't a clue what it is, and because of that I don't agree with it either.

Zoom is actually my biggest pet peeve... I wish it was completely removed from the game as I can find no value to it; We aren't looking through aiming scopes. Next is the auto-lock... I want something between normal and sticky targets... I don't particularly like the behavior of either.

These are my topics on the issue, and I do wish the Devs would be willing to discuss such crucial game design issues with players.

https://forum.battlebay.net/threads...sable-zoom-and-tweak-auto-aim-behavior.18407/
    https://forum.battlebay.net/threads/close-range-auto-aim-issues.15680/

19. StrictSalmon307

StrictSalmon307 Well-Known Member

Professional student
    Targeting systems in games usually work by pointing the gun or turret at the closest target to the screen. This occurs in B.B. when the target is a lot farther away from the center of the screen than in other games (probably to make it easier, as it’ll be really hard to aim with all the waves and stuff). The game doesn’t know who your targeting, it just knows what is closest to the center of your screen.

20. envylife

envylife Well-Known Member

Except when the boat is right in front of you.