1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

DevReply Fix the targeting system

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by D3X, 20 Apr 2017.

1. KILGOR

KILGOR Member

Targeting is absolutely terrible sometimes....... Here is an example... I was in a 1 on 1 battle with another boats. We were 5 feet away from each other. Both boats stopped. My targeting was to the right of target moving slower than a snail to the other boat. I was trying desperately to move the target but even 12 sec later it still wasn't even overlapping any part of the other boat and he killed me. This is aboslutely TERRIBLE PROGRAMMING !!

2. Miika

Miika Game Lead

If you encounter any repeatedly happening obscure issues please capture some video of them. What you are saying does not sound normal and we haven't ever seen anything like that so it's difficult to say anything. We are not aware of any bugs in the targeting currently. We do recognize that it is nowhere near perfect currently but it at least does what it is designed to do.

The biggest issue with making a perfectly working auto-aim is that it would require pretty much mind reading. Even the simplest situations might be sometimes really ambitious for the targeting to know which ship you would like to hit. Especially when there are multiple ships in your view in different ranges, it just has to take a guess, and sometimes that guess is wrong. If you can come up with some obvious situations where it goes always wrong please show us those cases so we could study if there is any way to improve the situation.

nosesabe likes this.
  3. Stelmo

Stelmo Well-Known Member

Ah. That'll be why my grenade keeps misfiring:)

Babablacksheep likes this.
  4. game4indo

game4indo New Member

yep the targeting system defenitely need a fix, im playing as a sniper canon, when i already lock a target, he is dyin cause im doing crit hit to him, then when im going to finish him (his position is right in front of me) then the target move to enemy far away behind him. so i have to re-lock my dyin target with much effort. it happen many times, and its very annoying for me. i even google how to change target lock easily then found this thread. Happy im not alone here XD.

Taevion0 likes this.
  5. KILGOR

KILGOR Member

Same just happened to me. There are 3 targets in front of me about 1 inch apart on the screen and I try desperately to select the left target and the targeting system won't let me. Selecting a target should be this difficult in ANY GAME !!!!!!

6. OniZoro

OniZoro Member

Mm cant really disagree with this. I do find it annoying sometimes when it keeps switching between targets when there's multiple ships in front, takes me like half a minute to just get on the ship I want to lock on lol, but eh, I'm not surprised its difficult to aim when there's a cluster in the distance.

7. Miathan

Miathan Well-Known Member

Yeah I'm also very annoyed by the targeting sometimes, but:

That was pretty much my conclusion too. The system can't know what you want to hit, therefore it would be impossible for the targeting to be always "right". That said, I do feel like it automatically switches targets too often. If I'm firing on a target, and that target is still in range, and I'm still looking towards it, I don't want to suddenly switch targets just because another ship is moving somewhere in range too. Perhaps I should use this lock target thing for it though, or sticky targets (I wasn't aware that these things exist until I read this thread).

8. monobrow

monobrow Well-Known Member

Im a aggro speeder.
    I use sticky targets, target lock and have no issues with targets
    Not sure if working as designed or placebo effect, but pretty sure if you double tap a target it will switch aswell

9. ThirstySeal

ThirstySeal Member

One thing that might be an easy-ish fix (although I can imagine it could introduce some problems as well)) is if the system would recognize when you can't hit a target (due to being behind a barrier or whatever) & switch to an attainable target if it's in your general area. I had a match yesterday where the targeting system kept aiming me to the guy behind the wall instead of the guy right in front of me that I was desperately trying to hit.

10. Mamamyers

Mamamyers Well-Known Member

Loser
    Happens to me n my bf all the time it's bs

11. Paccdaddy

Paccdaddy Member

Yea it needs a tweak or 2 but they do have the green crosshair thing to lock.

12. HELLRAZOR

HELLRAZOR Well-Known Member

All sticky targets off & auto targeting off but still cycles to a target as soon as one is detected, so I can't aim ahead of my target & miss.

13. Captain_Perry

Captain_Perry Active Member

I don't know, but I think that's intended (check when the ship name turns orange or something (just except for white for normal and green for locked). I believe it is to help you to lock on targets easier. I know it gets hard to aim, but for me I just... Get used to that.

14. HELLRAZOR

Isn't the target lock there for that reason, To lock onto potential targets ? When we use some weapons & have to aim in front of the ship to make contact, doesn't that takeaway the pure aspect of taking a ship down & getting a kill ?

15. Gnu

Gnu Well-Known Member

Games
    The target is annoying for me, especially when i use Railgun on Speeder. I can setup a railgun hit perfectly but the targeting system forces my railgun in another direction.

"The ultimate weapon in terms of damage per hit. Reloading takes a while though, so try not to miss."

*Miss Railgun shot*

I'm liek K.

16. aaaxxd

aaaxxd Member

I tried using sticky for a while, and it has its own problems. Sometimes the targets still bounce around; other times they are too sticky. The stickiness is really uneven and make the game more frustrating, not less. It is something the developers need to improve.

17. KILGOR

KILGOR Member

I have been experimenting to understand the behaviour of the targeting system and I have come to the conclusion that this in one of the ABSOLUTE WORST Targeting System I have every experienced in Any Game. A Play should be able to select Any Target within its Range at Any Time and NOT have the game decide it for the Player !!!!!!

Here is an example, I have 2 opponents in front of me with no obstructions or waves between us. We are relatively at a range of 5-10 from each other with one target to the left of me (just off centre), and the other slightly to the right of me. I am trying to select the left target which has the most damage, but the targeting system is pulling to the right target. I am trying to fight this Shitty targeting system but it is doing its own thing. One shot could kill the left target, but in the end I don't shoot any target and get killed. What AN EXTREMELY POORLY DESIGNED TARGETING SYSTEM !!!!!!!!

If this targeting system had a face, I would be punching it relentlessly !!!!!

18. HELLRAZOR

I think the gear lube & rudder are just a waste of time & should be discarded. The ships agility/manoeuvering & turret speed just need to be improved as it's already a battle to control your ship while multiple ships are firing at you & the targeting doesn't help either. So a fix & upgrade in our targeting reticle would be good, even a scope zoom perk for cannons would be helpful for long distance, but as it is now, it seems useless if you want to launch torpedoes or fire in front of an enemy so you can make contact. Even with sticky targets off, it still cycles & sticks to the wrong ship.

19. KILGOR

KILGOR Member

When is the crappy targeting going to be fixed??????????

20. yellowocean

yellowocean Well-Known Member

Some targetting nuances that you may help you... (note: i don't use sticky targets)

• Auto-aim or aim assistance will target the ship that is closest to you and in the center of your screen.
    • the weapon you have currently selected will affect the behavior of auto-aim... ex. missiles... if you have missiles selected, it will ignore enemy boats in front of you that are not within its minimum range, same with mortars.
    • when you are using cannons and other weapons that have an effective range of less than 20 distance... it will most certainly target the closest to you and the most centered in your screen. so if you have multiple targets in front of you at almost similar distance, it will target the one that is nearest the center of your screen. the best remedy for this is to "lock on" to your selected target before firing to avoid misfiring if another enemy boat suddenly darts in front of you.
    the current targetting system allows for certain blocking techniques that advanced players take advantage of: you can protect a retreating teammate by getting in between your teammate and the pursuing enemy, this will a) physically block shots and b) disrupt the targetting of the pursuer if he/she did not lock-on to your retreating teammate.

the targetting can be a bit dodgy at first but once you get used to it, you should be able to adjust to its nuances with every successive battle. personally, i'm not experiencing any significant issues with the targetting system so i'll share what i usually do when i target.
    • i always wait for the scope to go green before i fire.
    • when making lead shots, i wait for the green then flick my finger to the make the lead shot. get familiar with the projectile speed of your weapons, from there you should be able to make the appropriate estimates.
    • when i want to focus fire on a target, usually a fixer, i lock on to that fixer as soon as i get the chance and try to keep that boat in my screen so i won't lose the lock (it's also good to press the quick chat attack button to give your allies a headsup that you are targetting that particular boat - good allies will follow your lead)
    Cheers! :)