1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

DevReply Fix the targeting system

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by D3X, 20 Apr 2017.

1. D3X

D3X Well-Known Member

I don't know about you, but one of the most annoying aspects of the current targeting system is how the "pointer" that circles around the ships bounce. I mean "bounce" as it cycles around the closest ships, it's as if it snaps to them, even when you haven't moved or touched the screen. Maybe it's the waves causing the targeting to alter and retarget to the next, but the stickiness and the way it snaps/attracts to the next ship is really throwing off what the user intends to aim at. I've had countless times where a shot I was taking, was altered as it began snapping to another ship that became within the same vicinity. And I end up shooting at nothing, which was significantly worst than keeping my previous target.

The only solution is the target button, but however, since this isn't a true FPS game without tactile buttons, having that button is actually more of a nuisance to always attempting to toggle this off or on, without looking at the button.

Also, toggling the "Sticky" target in the setting exacerbates this issue even further, it's way worst. Do people even play with this mode? Perhaps it's time to revisit the aiming system and look into true FPS game targeting system codes where users can target and aim separately.

Anyone have this issue too? I mena, using mortars would likely be less of an issue, but Cannons, Railguns, Point Weapons all suffer from this sort of thing.

Is there any thought about improving the auto-aim algorythm? Better yet, can we simply turn this sensitivity down?

2. D3X

D3X Well-Known Member

So nobody thinks this is a problem? and you think this is user error or skill issue?
    Must be a joke, I've played many FPS in my lifetime and this targeting system is weak.

baysider likes this.
  3. LOLdude

LOLdude Member

U couldve locked on at least, or manually aimed.

4. Echo

Echo New Member

I have been playing for almost a month without realizing there's lock on functionality. This makes playing A LOT easier. Always wondering what the aiming thingy button is for...

HappyUnicorn789 likes this.
  5. D3X

D3X Well-Known Member

You're missing the point, pun intended. I do try to lock, the problem is, before you can lock, you still need to target them first.

It sucks when you're trying to lock on a ship right in front of you, and teh target keeps trying to lock on a far away target. It's like you need a jedi force lock trick to get it to work.
    Both Sticky target and normal target is equally bad in their own way.

Last edited: 26 Apr 2017
  6. Echo

Echo New Member

I have never have such a problem even without lock-on. Have you tried manually panning the camera?

wtfack and SCOOTY PUFF Jr like this.
  7. Emilia

Emilia Member

it occasionally bugs me but most of the time its fine it only happens when a speeder goes in between me and the target. Mostly these days i manually aim except for RG or sniper

8. D3X

D3X Well-Known Member

Right, now imagine if you piloted a Speeder.
    So you admit there is a problem with it then? It's way more of an issue for speeders, who depend on rapid reflex changing of targets.

As for manual aim, that's another problem. Why does the camera angle need to change? I hate using manual aim for that reason. Sniper cannon should have a scoping feature, like double tap screen to zoom in etc.

Last edited: 27 Apr 2017
    jenderalcilik likes this.
  9. KILGOR

KILGOR Member

I agree with D3X, the targeting system is terrible at times. Several times when 2 opponents are rushing towards you, one to the left and the other to the right, the targeting system doesn't know which target to select and hangs in limbo. Or you try to select one target and the targeting system is selecting another. Anther example is you try to select a target while you are driving in the opposite direction and the targeting system jumps 180 degrees. Or while you are trying to acquire one target and the targeting system jumps to another target, but then is painfully slow in trying to re-acquire the original target.

Then there is the missed shots or 0 damage. There are no obstacles or waves between you and your target. The targeting system is green and the target is barely moving (range approx 20) so you can tell they are barely moving.....you are locked on to your target and your shot misses....with a sniper cannon...WTF!!!!......I had 6 shots in a row like this in a game....(my shooter has 2 sniper cannons mounted).

Vile Kyle and Taevion0 like this.
  10. D3X

D3X Well-Known Member

@KILGOR I've analyzed the problem. The problem is that the current auto-aim system is turret based, it's basically one in the same. Where your turret aims is where it targets. A targetting system should be separate from where the turret is aiming, to allow for lead variance for a moving target. Real tanks and Real fighter jets have a distinctly separate system, a system that targets potential foes and highlights them and allows you to manually cycle between the targets, and a system that controls the turret / weapon system. Auto-aim is a feature in-between these 2 systems to make shooting targets easier, so snapping them closer depending on how close your turret pointer is to the target.

Most shooting games are separate. Where the reticle and the target are 2 different things.

See examples below:
    [​IMG]
    Overwatch
    [​IMG]
    War Robots
    [​IMG]

11. Miika

Miika Game Lead

Have you noticed that if you press and hold the fire button you can take leading before you release the button?

mammoth1946 and TheRedSpeeder like this.
  12. D3X

D3X Well-Known Member

Yes. I spoke about it earlier, some weapons(now i haven't used a whole lot thanks to the other thread i wrote), but why does the camera angle need to change, and it almost feels like it disengages the previous targeting system. The worst thing is, when you let go, it fires. You can't disengage the manual targeting without firing.

Last edited: 27 Apr 2017
    nosesabe likes this.
  13. KILGOR

KILGOR Member

I am aiming the turret and the targeting response is sluggish.......no matter what it is terrible after the update.

14. Echo

Echo New Member

You can. Tapping the screen with another finger will cancel the manual aim. Really useful for checking clearance for weapons like mortar.

15. Miika

Miika Game Lead

You can also cancel the shot by sliding your finger out of the screen. I play always so that I just slide my right thumb down from the screen.

16. Aenon7777

Aenon7777 New Member

I'll have to agree with D3x on this one, I don't use speeders anymore because it's just too frustrating when I'm in a middle of a mob and shooting just when the targeting jumps off target. When playing close range with lots of turning I don't have time to use the target lock. Hope it is something that will be considered by the developers.

nosesabe likes this.
  17. KILGOR

KILGOR Member

The dead-throttle, targeting system needs to be fixed/improved because as it s I will never make any in game purchases.

18. yellowocean

yellowocean Well-Known Member

try activating the "sticky targets" option. OR choose a target and lock-on to him/her BEFORE you approach the skirmish. i think the targetting system is fine, although the devs should consider full manual targetting if players prefer that. just adjust your tactics and timing when to use or not use the lock-on button.

19. HELLRAZOR

HELLRAZOR Well-Known Member

I accidentally press other weapons because I need the targeting to go right more while i'm moving away from the enemy but it always springs back left for some reason, like in the direction of the ship. Annoying at times & could mean a battle loss which does happen.

20. KILGOR

KILGOR Member

This targeting is Full of Bugs i.e. Bad programming. Here is an example..... I am facing stern locked on 1 of 2 targets chasing me, and at the same time I am driving forward. The turret for No reason Jumps 180 degrees and faces forward. At no time was there any obsticles between me and the 2 targets........

baysider likes this.