1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Firebomb discussion & mechanics (perks & skills)

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Trium, 13 Feb 2018.

1. Trium

Trium Active Member

Let's discuss new mechanics of the firebomb:
    Changed Fire Bomb falloff to affect the duration instead of damage

1. Base duration of the firebomb is 15s.
    When I learn perks & skills, do they increase the final duration of the bomb (after fallof), or before it?

2. How do you like this change?

Personally for me, this change has become a big trouble. My whole strategy was based on using cannon, explosive cannon and firebomb on Defender.
    Firebomb gives a burning effect (damage buff), and cannons have perks for fire damage as well.

With the new update I have to throw to trash all of my weapons. Because dealing 300 damage from cannon is not a way I can play.

To my mind, this is one of the possible strategies to have alternative to the mortar spam.
    I agree that the use rate of firebomb was enormous, but I believe decreasing damage would be enough to change this (since mostly it is spammed by shooters as one of their mortars).

As a result, firebomb is still good for mortar spammers, but became much weaker for single target players, who used it to get an extra damage. Without this buff single damage weapons are not competitive. :(

I'm really dissapointed, as probably I will have to remove firebomb from my ship, and it was my only high level epic weapon.

2. Miku Da Yo 39

Miku Da Yo 39 Well-Known Member

This change was a huge buff for firebomb, now when people get hit with firebomb they take the FULL base damage immediately. At nightmare level firebombs do around 80. So I used to be hit with 20 seconds of 15 dmg, now I'm getting hit with 4 seconds of 80 dmg. Firebomb spam is more deadly than ever because HP drops FAST. There are enough users of FB still that there really is not big problem regarding use of your cannons for the bonus damage. Flare gun alternative is always available as well.

3. CaffeinatedChris

CaffeinatedChris MVP

Actually, this change has made spamming Firebomb much less effective. Previously, you could send it up, get a twenty-second burn, and expose an enemy to massively increased damage from perks and talents. After the change, you can still get the same effect, but you have to get a much closer hit by leading your target.

Getting hit with multiple Firebombs as well will also drop your HP in a hurry as @Miku Da Yo 39 points out, versus before where you could largely ignore that -5hp ticking away, and in Battle Bay, burst damage rules the roost. If you don't finish a ship off, they'll sink you first (or run off and heal with their three Duct Tapes)

FataMorgana88 likes this.
  4. wtfack

wtfack Active Member

lets aim, not silly spamming

Rainbow Warrior likes this.
  5. Trium

Trium Active Member

All mortar spammers are used to aim (cause they do "silly spamming" all the time). Nothing changed for them. In some cases, it is even better, because damage is delivered faster.
    For single target players it is a huge nerf.

The question is why do developers make a change, which support meta tactic (mortar spamming), at the same time decreasing the effectiveness of unpopular alternative (single target players).

How do you think, how often Fire Bomb would appear in battles, if it damage was reduced by 2-3 times? All mortar spammers would remove it, but not single target players, cause they need it only for the last standing damage booster, which allow to kill one target.

Personally I don't like current situation of Mortar Bay, and I'm trying to understand the logic of developers.

6. Help I Cant Swim

Help I Cant Swim MVP

What infamy are you?

7. Miku Da Yo 39

You got the meta wrong, it's the opposite

8. Trium

Trium Active Member

Nice try, but I'm used to people who follow the easiest strategy and refuse to admit that.

Don't worry, I'm not going to ruin your religion. But I will focus attention on the problem, because game balance and diversity of mechanics is essential for the future of this game.
    Would you play this game, if we had one (two) boats and four weapons? No? Then have an honour to admit the real state.
    Is it so hard to say yourself "Yes, I abuse the game balance, but I enjoy it"?

9. Miku Da Yo 39

Medic down, calling for backup. Mayday Mayday

10. Trium

Trium Active Member

I reported you for flood.

If you have nothing to say (because of laziness or absence of any thoughts), then just avoid spamming the thread.

11. Miku Da Yo 39

You are where you are, I am where I am. We have nothing in common, we cannot judge each other. I cannot speak for the meta of your league, neither can you speak for the meta of my league. If you want to complain, be specific about it else risking others misinterpreting your intentions. If you want to try to push your meta ideas onto the majority of the community then prepare to get your $$$ handed to you. You will not get anymore replies.

12. Trium

Trium Active Member

You are not the only player of your league (which is pretty low taking into account your investments). All information is available in public, everybody knows the current situation of the Mortar Bay.
    If you can't admit it, it is only your problem. Get mature.

Try to read posts before making up an answer. I am the enemy of any no alternative meta. It looks like you making up my position by yourself and try to fight it. Are you completely bored, lonely or what is your problem?

13. Ash KOT

Ash KOT MVP

@Trium mortars only rule the bay in the lower leagues.
    They are much less effective in the end game.

14. Trium

Trium Active Member

Thank you, but two questions then

1. What are the frames of the "lower leagues"?
    I currently play on 3000, having team/opponents up to 4000, the situation is as I described it.

2. What percentage of players are in those leagues?
    I believe less than 1%.
    Because even on my trophies, I meet the same people very often, and as I said before, I have team / opponents with the deviation from my trophies of up to 1000.

If I am right, then it is obviously, that the game balance should be changed not for 1% of players, but be comfortable for most players.

15. Ash KOT

Ash KOT MVP

Hmm, at your infamy you should be starting to see them phase out :D
    I know a lot of people mention they are much less used in nightmare (4000+)

16. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

The frame is not leagues, it's speed. Once a ship crosses 1.5 base speed, it is almost completely immune to mortar spams.

17. Trium

Trium Active Member

As nobody in this thread actually used the firebomb, I have tested by myself.
    Perks and skills duration boost is also influenced by the distance from the centre.
    So I would say, those skills and perks have become much weaker.

That is why we need open statistics, to be more objective.

Btw, as you can see, there are no other posts about single damage builds (with burning perks). This build wasn't popular. And now it is dead, I have already tested enough (at least with a firebomb)
    Firebomb has transformed to be a classic mortar, not a buff weapon :(

Hope developers in future will rethink this change.

18. PastelPiku

PastelPiku Well-Known Member

Security
    Idk about the rest of you guys but I'm having no trouble whatsoever with this update regarding my firebombs. They just do more damage on average, and give me more than enough time to boost my cannons either way. Just lead your shots, always go for the center. The reward shouldn't be so great if the aiming is sloppy.

19. Help I Cant Swim

Help I Cant Swim MVP

Firebombs are definitely hurting more than they did before.

PastelPiku likes this.