1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Doing Your Part

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Rez Messing, 4 Feb 2018.

1. Rez Messing

Rez Messing Active Member

Ne’er-do-well
    This is the way I see it. If you kill an unfriendly, then you’ve done your part. If you kill an unfriendly and do damage to another unfriendly, then you have contributed more than your share. If your team loses and you still get a star (or two) the match making is to blame. If you get a quad kill and your team still loses, Rovio hates you.

2. ViscountSniffit

ViscountSniffit Well-Known Member

I haven’t lost with a quadkill for a while. Three kill defeats happen all the time. These are all from the other day.
    4667FEFD-3218-43EE-B015-127224880B57.png A716D4BF-B1AC-4AF9-96A5-7F6936E41CCC.png 9855FF30-8488-471B-9D6D-92E3945AEB4D.png 45DE90AB-5EB6-4F83-86B6-041CC120AD0E.png

Teammates that ‘do thier part’ are a luxury! I’m happy to get teammates that can just stay alive, long enough for me to carry them!

3. PastelPiku

PastelPiku Well-Known Member

Security
    I mostly agree with you, but often the one that gets the kill isn't the one that did all the work. I think as long as you deal at least a 5th of the team's hp as damage or if you saved your team a lot of health (fixing, tanking, dodging, blocking) then you've also done your part.

4. Sifa

Sifa Well-Known Member

That said, I also hate teammates that can deal damage but never finish a single kill. Especially if they have a fixer or two in the enemy team, dealing damage doesn't simply help you to win unless you can actually finish the targets too.

Some might call it kill stealing but in my opinion there is no such thing. You should always turn focus on the target that's the easiest to kill and if that means the person who gets the kill is not the guy who dealt the most damage, it's still better for your team to get it done asap rather than let the one guy do it alone for the sake of getting the kill that he "deserves".

5. PastelPiku

Security
    I see it as a kill confirm. To make sure they dont miraculously get away. I hate when people wait for the last shot. I just blast em knowing someone will take the kill after. In this sense, I'm not technically going for the kill myself, but rather I'm trying to give my team an advantage in general.

6. Sifa

Sifa Well-Known Member

Ok, if they wait seconds for the right time to shoot the last shot without actually having a cooldown, that's not cool. Obviously you should fire as soon as the cooldown ends, be it the killing shot or not.

I personally haven't seen so many people doing that at the ace 1 / nightmare anyway so I guess it's mostly a problem in the lower leagues.

Neptune_Gaming likes this.
  7. PastelPiku

Security
    It's only cool when it's a 5v1 situation or something similar. Then it's really fun to see who gets it while the unfriend panics in despair lol. I've been that sad unfriend before, speeders just circling around me as the mortars roll in, waiting for that sweet kill.

8. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

The fastest gun on the Bay... *Rolls cigar*

9. What's Up Player

What's Up Player Well-Known Member

Thanks for this thread. Lately I've been getting lots of 1-2 star losses and also top damage usually and doing all the kills of mine team.

Now I know that I should blame the matchmaking and that Rovio officially hates me :D:D

Neptune_Gaming and Rez Messing like this.
  10. PastelPiku

Security
    I roll my cigars with duct tape and gear lube.

11. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

*Rolls bandage after pouring lube on a bandage and closing it with duct tape*

12. Rez Messing

Rez Messing Active Member

Ne’er-do-well
    Oh, see this way too often. They beat down a ship to near death but then turn there attention to a higher hp ship. A damaged ship (even near death) is still capable of using its full arsenal at full strength. Either a ship is fully dead or fully alive, there is no such thing as a weakened ship in this game. I wish more people understood this.

13. envylife

envylife Well-Known Member

It's a reasonable guideline but it's not always enough. I've lost plenty of battles with 2-4 kills because it's a near guarantee for my side to have 1-2 crappy teamates that deal weak damage and no kills, so it is frequently a necessity to make up for that. I give a pass on damage to Speeders/Fixers but Shooters/Enforcers/Defenders need to step it up, and I do think Speeders need to have a kill since they have the ability to speed in and finish someone off unlike the slow boats.

I judge a player more by the ability to survive and finish off a match, which is far more difficult than playing kamikaze. The reality of me playing shooter as I've experienced is I'm alive at the end there is an 80% chance my side wins and if I die, there is a 20% chance my side wins. You have to make up for inevitable bad teammates.

14. Snapshot

Snapshot Well-Known Member

I don't think "kills" measures anything all that meaningfully. A solo kill... perhaps. But I get lots and lots of kills because of the role I play in both my shooter and speeder. The torp/mortar guys usually soften someone up then I finish it. I don't think I ought to get any particular credit for that other than "doing my job".

Interesting. Whereas I tend to see myself as having failed if I'm alive at the end. I see my HP as a precious resource to be spent in an effort to generate a win. If I can tip the balance early on with a "kamikaze" play I'm all about it. I often look at my team-mates and think, "What exactly are you saving all those HP for? Are you worried about scratching your paint?" I place no value on those who survive, only those who contribute.

15. envylife

TBH your play style seems to be common. In my experience it's only 3 players get any kills in a match, so those 2 extra kills have to come from teammates making multiple kills. I'd say only 15% of the time the lone cowboy who kamikaze's in gets any kills at all... they just die because they become the only opponent initially visible, drawing fire from, usually, all 5 enemies. They deal some damage but more often than not they just leave my team 4 vs 5. It's especially frustrating if we have a Fixer... at least make a quick run at it and come back for healing.

If on the rare chance that cowboy gets the opposing Fixer, that's a worthy 1-kill... but that's so rare. It's partly why I get frustrated with this game.. so many sh*tty teammates out there who can barely deal out their infamy number in damage before dying.

16. Snapshot

Well yeah... that's not kamikaze. Technically even a kamikaze pilot was supposed to be expending his life for something. What you're describing is either drunk or deliberate tanking. I mean sure... I drive a speeder. So sometimes I die in a heartbeat. But usually I make my initial pass and get tagged with 0 or 1 bullets... easily healed up by my bandages. If I decide to dig in for a kill I'm assuming I'll die doing it so it better be worth it (say... the fixer). I'll almost always go for a solo kill when they have a fixer and we do not because at my infamy NOBODY is aggressive enough to win that match without me tipping the scales somehow.

17. PastelPiku

Security
    I love it when everyone gets a kill. It always feels like you had a good team.

18. envylife

My analogy is more applicable to Shooters and Defenders. If you are a Speeder snagging 1 kill, then you are doing your part. They are also the best at being able to sneak in and take out a Fixer, but again that's rare, it's usually a straggler they can get. As a Shooter I can still take out Speeders 1v1 more often than not, so you have to know your limits. TBH when I get yellow boats on my team I cringe because I know I'll have to play extra hard to make up for their ineptitude. I know that will change in the future as yellow boats get more powerful and more skilled.

PastelPiku likes this.
  19. PastelPiku

Security
    When I kill a fixer as speeder and get the Solo Kill award I feel like I've definitely done my part.

Rez Messing likes this.
  20. Snapshot

As an ex-shooter and now one of those yellow boats, I sympathize. It is a steep learning curve on the speeder and mistakes are punished severely. It's no joke that when I do it right I am the angel of death and when I do it wrong I'm flaming hull in 15 seconds flat. I too look forward to when I do it right more often :)

Of course, I suspect there will always be the overflowing joy of nitro'ing into an epic mine.

Rez Messing and PastelPiku like this.